Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What to look for in a new TV
  • marko75
    Free Member

Need a new TV, curved TVs look nice but whats the value in them? Also dont see the point in 4K….

I tend to use my X box for watching Netflix, I player etc…. so just want a nice 40-42″ tv…

Any suggestions?

hammyuk
    Free Member

Samsung 6500 – quad core processor, fast UI and apps built in.
    The OH has just got one for £20 more than the 5500 I bought last month!

andyl
    Free Member

get the next size up to what you ‘think’ you need. And the one with a picture you like the look of (don’t be afraid to mess with settings and definitely turn off all the motion processing stuff in store).

Image quality and size are the most important. Everything else is superfluous.

craigxxl
    Free Member

I’m going to be looking at a new TV soon looking at minimum of a 4K resolution, not too fussed about 3D and thinking another Panasonic as the current plasma has lasted over 10 year.

Flaperon

Richer Sounds still have the occasional plasma in their clearance section but you’ll need to be prepared to drive across the country to get one.

Otherwise I’d sit on your hands until OLED or Samsung’s SUHD becomes affordable. Buying an LCD TV now is madness because you’ll never be happy with the picture after you’ve seen one of those.

oldnpastit

4k.

Drac

Curved is a bit gimmicky, 3D is Ok but pretty much pointless, 4k is only worth looking at if you get a good enough deal. Don’t go for the biggest you can afford go make sure it’s the right size for you room or you get no real benefit.

LCD TVs are coming down in price now the people who must have the latest are waiting for SUHD and OLED. 😀

What’s your budget?

Cougar

I’m going to be looking at a new TV soon looking at minimum of a 4K resolution,

A minimum? Are you expecting to go higher?

4k.

Waste of money at the moment. We discussed this at length a few days ago.

ampthill

Unless you are generating your own 4k content there isn’t much about

Also this

Looks like you’ll need to sit within 5 feet

Really!!

marko75
    Free Member

but unless you start streaming in 4k – surely this is pointless

That chart is a load of guff ^^

TooTall
    Free Member

Go on then. Why?

This seems to make a whole lot of actual proper sense to me:

http://www.cnet.com/news/why-ultra-hd-4k-tvs-are-still-stupid/

ampthill

Out of interest why? It could be the lines should be in different places but the concept must stand. Its from here. What do you think the cross over distance would be from 1080 to 4k for a 42inch 4k tv

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/why-ultra-hd-4k-tvs-are-still-stupid/

This chart doesn’t disagree

This one places you even closer

http://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/size-to-distance-relationship

When my brother in law bought a 50 inch plasma he calculated that he might as well buy a 720 one as sat on his couch he couldn’t resolve the difference between that and 1080. He wasn’t that far from the screen

I realise that the whole internet could be wrong. But I would like a coherent counter argument

Cougar

Go on then. Why?

Because he’s bought one and is now flim-flamming?

That chart’s on the money, with the caveats I posited on the previous thread.

Because I’m sat 11ft away from a 40 inch 1080 display and can quite clearly see the difference from any lower resolutions – according to the chart, I shouldn’t be able to

Junkyard
    Free Member

Is this why where we explain very slowly why introspection, placebo and anecdote are trumped by facts?

oldnpastit

I work for a company that means we have a few 4k TVs kicking around. They look amazing. It’s a combination of the resolution, and also the colour depth (10 bits/colour component instead of 8bits).

There’s not a huge amount of 4k content around at the moment, but there will be.

A 4k Netflix account is £9/month, which seems pretty reasonable. So my next TV will be 4k.

And they’re not much more expensive, because it turns out that dead pixels on a 4k display are much harder to see than dead pixels on a 1080p display.

EDIT: that chart doesn’t appear to mention the colour depth improvement, so is pointless.

TooTall
    Free Member

that chart doesn’t appear to mention the colour depth improvement, so is pointless

Not really. All 4k TVs won’t have better colour depth. Read the article as well to give it some context (but you work for ‘them’ so you’ve probably drunk the KoolAid anyway).

ampthill

Because I’m sat 11ft away from a 40 inch 1080 display and can quite clearly see the difference from any lower resolutions – according to the chart, I shouldn’t be able to

That isn’t very far out from the chart. 11 feet from a telly sounds quite normal. So even if 1080 is a benefit for 40 inches at 11 feet that doesn’t mean that 4k would be better still.Or it could be that your telly isn’t very good at up scaling lower resolution stuff

This article claims that you an tell 1080 from 4k from 1080 on a 55 inch tv from 9 feet. That’s bit further out than the chart but not miles out

4K Resolution Is Visible vs 1080p on 55″ TV from 9′ Viewing Distance

oldnpastit

Not really. All 4k TVs won’t have better colour depth

If they’re HDMI 2 they will.

but you work for ‘them’ so you’ve probably drunk the KoolAid anyway

Thanks pal. You have a nice day too.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What to look for in a new TV’ is closed to new replies.