Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • What to do in Singapore
  • chickadee
    Free Member

Here for 48 hours, limited budget, not interested in shopping. What’s interesting to see?

thebunk

zoo/night safari was pretty cool. A lemur tried to steal my bag in the butterfly enclosure though, the cheeky scamp.

This was a while ago mind, so don’t blame me when you get there and its just a bear in a pit.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep, the night safari is pretty good apparently (Didn’t get a chance to go myself!)

Food is an essential, though. Try Hometown on Smith St in Chinatown. Also, try the hawker’s market at Maxwell. Oh, and don’t miss out on the claypot chicken. Or the soft boiled eggs and toast for breakfast!

Finally, be sure to check out the butterfly garden at the airport. Ace!

headfirst
    Free Member

What the cap’n said: eat as much as possible, the quality and range of food is brilliant.

Gunz
    Free Member

The steam boat in China Twon is delicious and pretty reasonable and the Buddhist and Hindu temples there are also quite astounding. Botanic gardens are free, beautiful and the bus stops about 100m away (really cheap, good service).
    Orchard Towers, ‘Four Floors of Whores’ should also be on every tourist’s list although that might only apply as I’ve just been there with the Navy. Don’t worry about being female, they cater for all tastes.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Another vote for the Botanic Garden. If you’ve never been in one, they have an area of Tropical Rain Forest. And Tiger Balm gardens, they’re unique.

marco
    Free Member

Chinatown is a must.
    Also walk up the big hill to the cable car station (can’t remember what the hill is called) take cable car to Sentosa island

skiprat
    Free Member

As above, zoo and night safari are great, even better if you get there at feeding time. The big cats are amazing when its chow time!!

Hawkers for food, cheap, fresh and very nice. Theres also so much choice that you’ll not struggle to find something you like.

The ‘floors of whores’ are there for all to see and quite a sight. Went with my sister and brother in law (they live there and are teachers) and i was telling everyone we’d been….not the done thing if your a teacher out there but great if your a tourist.

Sentosa if you want to chill out on a beach and watch the container ships go by – amazing to see the size of them and a nice place just to relax.

Raffles Hotel, home of the Singapore Sling and great for high tea. Nice food, eat nuts and throw the shells on the floor!! Felt wrong to do it at first but thats what you do. Head up the lift 100ish floors to the bar at the top. Great views of the city at sunset.

Loads to do and alot can be done for not much cash. Enjoy

motorman
    Free Member

Another vote for the 4 floors, lol

simon_g

Marina Bay Sands is open now and the viewing deck at the top is great.

The bird park in Singapore is one of the best in the world, night safari is fun too.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

simon_g – Member

That looked pretty impressive when I was last out there. Am planning to go on my next trip!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Jurong bird park

Black Pepper Crab

Chilli Frog

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

CharlieMungus – Member
    Black Pepper Crab

+1. Long Beach at Dempsey for that.

-m-
    Free Member

Opinions may vary on that one. It’s open. It’s OK. Whether or not it’s worth the money is a personal decision. I must admit that Sentosa has never really floated my boat either.

Botanic gardens are good – as others have said.

zokes
    Free Member

Pretend to be an ancient viceroy and sit in Raffles sipping Slings

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

No, don’t go to raffles, or anywhere along that bit.

timc
    Free Member

Marina Bay Sands viewing deck is worth a 30 min visit, 57th Floor, good view!

Its only $20 / £10… only a misrable tigh ar5e would complain about value for money, or a poor person i guess…

zokes
    Free Member

No, don’t go to raffles, or anywhere along that bit.

Oh, sorry – I guess one of the most famous landmarks in the place isn’t worth at least 30 mins just to sit and relax then?

-m-
    Free Member

Its only $20 / £10… only a misrable tigh ar5e would complain about value for money, or a poor person i guess…

I was dragged up there by a customer, so it wasn’t even my money. Still not sure that it was value for money though 😉

SD-253
    Free Member

I was there and Malaya for about 6 weeks it (Singapore) was a giant whore house then. Vastly improved since then (in a positive way sickos) so I would still give Raffles a look in and could you give me an update on Boogie street. It used to be an interesting cultural location!

alexxx
    Free Member

Aww I miss Singapore now, I used to live there – basically – eat all the food you can! I’d recommend the night safari also – sentosa is a bit overated but depends if your wanting a chilled day or an authentic experience.

You wont find much that shocks you on the streets its all very relaxed and proper – some really nice street markets for bits n bobs and fake watches 😀

Nick

Probably a bit out of date but I like this article

Disneyland with the death penalty

wl
    Free Member

Escape

alexxx
    Free Member

Whilst the Disney article has some humour I think its detrimental to what the experience and the country is actually like on a day to day basis.

its well regimented but it is very easy going – the lady who ran my school bus used to sneek bubble gum in to keep the kids quiet – this is when it was illegal but everyone turns a blind eye to a lot of laws.

I use that as a reference as most peoples knowledge on singapore is you can get killed for having / dropping gum. which is obviously bs.

uplink
    Free Member

You can get a free sight seeing tour if you’re transiting though – not sure 48hrs is transiting though

http://www.changiairport.com/at-changi/leisure-indulgences/free-singapore-tour

godzilla
    Free Member

The sealife center on santosa island is cool, or a singapore sling in Raffles would be nice..

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I was there and Malaya for about 6 weeks it (Singapore) was a giant whore house then. Vastly improved since then (in a positive way sickos) so I would still give Raffles a look in and could you give me an update on Boogie street. It used to be an interesting cultural location!

Good God! When were you there?? How old are you?

onewheelgood

I worked there for 7 months in 2000. The Night Safari is a must – the best zoo of any kind I’ve ever been to. Raffles is a tourist trap, but I think you really have to do it. The Gardens (Botanic, Chines and Japanese) are good if you like that stuff, and I always enjoyed Bukit Timah Nature Reserve – gives you a glimpse of what the whole island was like before 4 million people rocked up. There’a a mountain bike trail round it which is the most extreme place for atgni I’ve ever seen.
    And the food. Eat the food.

Gruenermoench
    Free Member

stopped off there for 3 days last summer. The food is amazing, there are Hawker Centres (food halls) dotted around all over the place where you can get all different types of Asian food, for a few quid you can eat yourself silly. Oh and if you get the chance try the legendary Durian fruit.

ben
    Free Member

Greetings from Singapore! 🙂

Above suggestions are good, I’ve not done the night safari but hear it can be a bit hit or miss with regard to what you see. The zoo is ace, one of the best in the world I reckon, though our polar bear is getting a new enclosure so isn’t receiving visitors at present :). However, not sure I’d visit the zoo / night safari if I only had 48 hrs in the city.

You should definitely spend a day downtown, check out Chinatown & CBD then onto the Colonial district & quays area. Worth a trip on the Singapore flyer for the view – do it before it gets dark though. Top of Marina bay hotel is worth a look for the view too.

If you like seafood, as others have said you must try the chilli / black pepper crab here. I’d argue the best is Jumbo @ the East Coast Park about 15 mins out of the city. You can hire bikes and take a ride along the ECP, there’s also wakeboarding in a dedicated lake where you’re pulled by cables ala ski lifts here too if you’re into it.

Sentosa is an obvious choice as a tourist; it’s worth climbing up to Mt. Faber and then getting the cable car over for a quick look. The aquarium, as already mentioned, is superb. Universal studios is meant to be pretty rubbish unless you’ve got kids to entertain (I’ve not been).

Bukit Timah nature reserve is pretty unique, the only primary jungle left in Singapore complete with monkeys, monitor lizards and great bird life. Make sure you pack the mosquito repellent if you do choose to visit it.

I’d recommend trying to fit a boat trip over to Pulau Ubin to get a taste of what Singapore used to look, there’s also one of the two decent mountain bike trails on the island and the chance to hire bikes to ride on it if you want to get some biking in. It’s a 10 min boat trip from Changi village which is very close to the airport so you could try and fit it in on the way to/from the airport.

The food is great here, try and find some murtabak while you’re here – it’s one of my personal fave foods of Singapore.

I could go on, but you do only have 48hrs in our fair city so will stop at that. If you want to do anything specific, or want any other questions answering drop me an email (address in profile).

fourbanger
    Free Member

If you’re there on a Friday, get to one of the champagne brunches. All you can eat and drink at a price, but well worth it! Town Restaurant at The Fullerton Hotel for traditional and Equinox at The Stamford Swissotel for the view. Look them up, well worth it!

SD-253
    Free Member

CharlieMungus – Member

Good God! When were you there?? How old are you?
    Ageist t*at!!! About 1976 once they had independance I think the country has been run by the same Prime Minster ever since i.e. An elected dictatorship! an oxymoron I know.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Ageist t*at!!! About 1976 once they had independance I think the country has been run by the same Prime Minster ever since i.e. An elected dictatorship! an oxymoron I know.

Ageist? Not at all. I hadn’t suggested you were in any way inferior because of your age. I was merely asking, because Malaysia hasn’t been called Malaya since the early sixties. Though most often I hear Malaya used by ex-colonialists. That’s why I asked. Also the reference to Singapore as a giant whorehouse is pretty offensive, especially if you are referring to a post-independence Singapore. Even more so if you are referring to the Singapore of the mid-seventies. Furthermore to call mid-seventies Singapore a giant whorehouse is just wrong. It may be that you are generalising from the your experience of a part of it.

ransos
    Free Member

We went on the giant Ferris wheel, took in a couple of decent museums (one was about the history of Singapore – very interesting, and with an English audio guide), a sling at Raffles (could only afford one!) and dinner in Chinatown. Be aware that the Chinese food is a lot more authentic than what we get in the UK! My wife’s face, as a plate of duck with face and beak still attached arrived, was a picture. I seem to remember having a really good Indian too. The metro is a very convenient way of getting round the city. Don’t try and do too much – it’s very hot and humid, so plan for plenty of drinks breaks and sitting in the shade.

McHamish
    Free Member

Have yourself some laksa.

SD-253
    Free Member

CharlieMungus – Member

Ageist t*at!!! About 1976 once they had independence I think the country has been run by the same Prime Minster ever since i.e. an elected dictatorship! An oxymoron I know.

Ageist? Not at all. I hadn’t suggested you were in any way inferior because of your age. I was merely asking,
    “I was merely asking” my arse why ask if you were not being ageist. If I asked someone on this site if they were black you would be straight in there calling me racist or if I asked them if they are a woman you would be calling me sexist. 10 out 10 for hypocrisy Mungus.

because Malaysia hasn’t been called Malaya since the early sixties. Though most often I hear Malaya used by ex-colonialists. That’s why I asked.

It was called Malaya in 76 not that’s its relevant I could of just shortened it from Malaysia or does that just make me a racist in your poisoned middle class liberal mind?

Also the reference to Singapore as a giant whorehouse is pretty offensive,especially if you are referring to a post-independence Singapore.

AS I said “(Singapore) was a giant whore house then. Vastly improved since then (in a positive way sickos)” So as you clearly knew by the dates I gave you (76)it was not post independence…….So what is the point of in implying that I was talking about post independence?

Even more so if you are referring to the Singapore of the mid-seventies. Furthermore to call mid-seventies Singapore a giant whorehouse is just wrong. It may be that you are generalising from the your experience of a part of it.

Yet again the coward’s way of saying something you haven’t got the guts to say outright by implying the only places I visited was whorehouses why don’t you have the back bone to say it outright? By the way is your view based on your experience? The truth is

is just wrong

Painful maybe but not wrong. Stick to talking about things you know about………well??

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

So, I was mistaken? Do tell me when Singapore became independent.

By the way is your view based on your experience?

My view is based on being Malaysian, living in Malaysia and visiting Singapore throughout the seventies. There were a number of people who referred to Malaysia as Malaya, as late as ’76 but as said earlier they tended to be the old colonialists who had been out there prior to Malaysian independence. That is why I was surprised that you used the term Malaya, because it sounded like you must be over seventy years of age. Which is quite old to be still riding Moutainbikes, even by the demographic of this forum.

AS concerns the whorehouse reference, I was trying to understand how that could be your experience of it as mine was completely different and were there at the same time. My memory of it in that period was that it was a rapidly growing economy with lots of new high rise offices and flats being built. I don’t remember any of them being whorehouses.

Can I now ask what your experience is based on? Where you or your parents in the forces there?

Why do you seem so angry about this?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Lah

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Lah

spoken like a true Malaysian!!!
    What’s your connection CFH?

SD-253
    Free Member

AS concerns the whorehouse reference, I was trying to understand how that could be your experience of it as mine was completely different and were there at the same time. My memory of it in that period was that it was a rapidly growing economy with lots of new high rise offices and flats being built. I don’t remember any of them being whorehouses.

As I said Boogie street and the “lots of new flats” kind of implies it was changing from in my opinion a giant whore house as a “Malaysian” which Singapore left after only 2 years would probably prefer to ignore (aka selective amnesia)

Can I now ask what your experience is based on? Where you or your parents in the forces there?

I served there

Why do you seem so angry about this?

Its wrong you should say things like that. Yes you should if it is true? PS how often do you play the ethnic card?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘What to do in Singapore’ is closed to new replies.