Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What tablet for £150 – IT ludite help needed
  • Zedsdead
    Free Member

Evening all,

Youngest son has asked for a new tablet for Christmas. He currently has a 7″ Samsung Galaxy Tab (Tab2 I think?) which is now 2 or 3 years old. It’s been pretty good for him but he dropped it and the screen smashed, still useable but getting old and slower now.

I’ve had look and there are so many I don’t have a clue where to start!

I thought I’ll stick with Samsung as that’s what he has already. However, there are 7″, 8″, 9.something” & 10.something”

The 8″ is very expensive so I’ve discounted that. The 9.something” can be had from Curry’s for £130. I thought this seemed good but then it uses Android Kitkat 4 or something and apparently there is newer and better versions?
    Then I see there are Asus tablets which are cheaper. But I got lost in all the specs and names and sizes and and and…

I’ve no idea!?!

I’m looking for something which will be reliable. Not cost too much. Reasonable screen size, the 9 seemed good.

He’ll use it for music tab, music apps (plays drums and bass guitar) keeping in touch with his pals, youtube, stuff like that.

Can anyone reccomend me somethng worth buying please? Thanks

Cougar

Nvidia Shield.

transporter13
    Free Member

Galaxy tab e On sale at Argos for £129….just seen the advert

Nico
    Free Member

Lenovo A10.

RustyMac

Nvidia sheild tablet is 169 I think but ours is awesome. Can play some proper games on it and it has a mini hdmi out which is handy for connecting it to a tv

dannybgoode

Push to £199 and get the Sony Z3 Compact tablet. A couple of years old now but an astonishing battery life, decent screen, incredibly light and thin and more than enough power.

I get a solid 3 days proper use out of it. Over a week when just on standby.

Oh and its waterproof.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

thanks guys.

Need to stick to our budget I’m afraid. We have 3 kids so it’s a very expensive time of year.

The Galaxy Tab E looks good at 130.

And the Lenovo A10 also looks good at 120.

Anyone know if one is better than the other?

Thanks

dannybgoode

In that case if you can hack the colour the Acer Iconia 1 8″. Will even save you a bit of cash.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/tablets-and-ereaders/tablets/acer-iconia-one-b1-850-8-tablet-16-gb-blue-10141841-pdt.html

I have had the Lenovo and the battery is utter tosh. The Samsung is OK but a little underpowered – particularly when taking into account Samsung’s Touchwiz overlay.

I have just bought the Iconia as a back-up and its pretty reasonable. Decent speed and battery lasts a good while.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

thanks Danny, would you buy the Acer over the Samsung? I was thinking the Samsung might be good as he’ll be used to it. But then again kids will pick up and learn in moments how these work…

therag
    Free Member

Galaxy tab E £99 in Tesco. I had 2 last week.

gonzy
    Free Member

my son had a Lenovo S8-50 which was really good until it stopped working. battery was pretty decent but the screen was amazing…full HD and a decent 8MP camera too. it ran on Android 4.4 so wasnt the most up to date but because it had 2GB RAM it was still pretty quick. it has 16Gb internal memory with a memory card slot. you can still pick up a decent used one for about £60.
    we’ve nor replaced it with the Acer Iconia 10.1 which cost us £150. again with a full HD screen and this time its on Android 6.1. the tablet hs 32Gb memory and has expendable memory and has 2Gb RAM so again is pretty quick. battery life seems decent so far but the the 5MP camera isnt that great

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What tablet for £150 – IT ludite help needed’ is closed to new replies.