Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • What steel road frame?
  • Helvetica85
    Free Member

Thinking of upgrading my old rigid as hell aluminium road bike to something more comfortable with a frame swap to steel. Currently eyeing up a Genesis Equilibrium.

Budget is £600 max – Any suggestions/links ?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Steel frame’s aren’t all comfortable, in the same way aluminium isn’t always uncomfortable and carbon isn’t light and titanium isn’t indestructable, etc.

matthew_h
    Free Member

The Equilibriums are really very very good. I reckon you could do a lot worse than go for one of them. They look sweet too

nedrapier

I thought bargain basement Equilibrium was £750ish?

I did recommend one to a friend reently, though. I’d have one.

coopersport1
    Free Member

I do more miles on my Kaffenback than my carbon Roubaix these days. Love it! To the point I really should sell the Roubaix. Really comfy ride in my experience and plenty of change from £600 I paid £135 frame&fork.

Helvetica85
    Free Member

I’m liking the skinny tubes of steel, but not hung up on the material really so any suggestions that fit the comfy to “ride all day” genre would be good.

prezet
    Free Member

Am in the process of building up a Equilibrium myself – except Genesis have fully sold out of all the frame sets until the 2013 ones turn up 🙁

flange
    Free Member

Osprey

Cheaper than an Enigma…

prezet
    Free Member

It’s lugged – really not a fan of vintage lugging. Don’t understand why the steel frame makers feel the need to use them rather than looking towards a modern steel look.

Cotic has produced a prototype road frame – if they decide to produce it then I’ll definitely be grabbing one.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Tokyo Fixed – wide open dream machine, gets good reviews.

Why are steel road frames so expensive, surely there hasn’t been much development work done on them since the 50’s? Or is it a smuch smaller market than steel mountainbikes? I wonder if Planet-x or On-one could be convinced to do a lugged frame in 853?

It’s lugged – really not a fan of vintage lugging. Don’t understand why the steel frame makers feel the need to use them rather than looking towards a modern steel look.

Because (IMO) modern steel looks rubbish and cheep copmared to a nicely lugged frame.

ahwiles
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Member

Why are steel road frames so expensive?

the equilibrium frame sells for about £300, i’m a cheapskate and i don’t think it’s expensive…

prezet
    Free Member

the equilibrium frame sells for about £300, i’m a cheapskate and i don’t think it’s expensive…

No, it’s one of the more affordable options, however there are some silly priced steel frame sets about i.e. Condor

Edric64
    Free Member

Curly ornate lugs on a quality steel frame with a retro paintjob ala Mercian looks absolutely gorgous

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ok, the genesis is a bargain (on paper anyway, I’ve never ridden one), but the average seems to be twice that price for a 4130 frame.

ourmaninthenorth

My (alu) winter* frame cracked earlier this year. If I didn;t have a CX bike that will be turned into my winter bike, I’d have had an Equilibrium frame in that red they do.

But the Osprey – at the price – looks v nice, and I’m not a massive fan of lugs. Except for the 1″ headtube, which doesn’t appeal.

*roadist term for do-it-all bike with mudguards

cynic-al
    Free Member

Equilibrium frames are AFAIK sold out.

They do ride well tho, despite their weight.

GrahamS

I’m currently slyly eyeing up the On-One Pompetamine Versa 11 Speed Pro.

Not a “hardcore” road frame but looks like a great cracking little steel do-it-all commuter + tourer + cx + pootler + sportive-lite

mcmoonter
    Free Member

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Co-Motion-race-bike-full-Ultegra-Chris-King-Thompson-Carbon-bar-stem-fork-/120932676307?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item1c282632d3#ht_500wt_922

If I were in the market for a steel framed road bike, you could do an awful lot worse than this. Hand built 853 with an ultegra group set.

AntLockyer
    Free Member

My lugged bike is anything but retro, rides much nicer than my welded aluminium bike.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Quite a few modern steel frames are nothing special. Making a comparison with a “standard” ie 531 many are not up to scratch. Eg my Cotic X weighs a ton compared to my other , bigger 531 frame. As does my smaller Kaffenback, which I like.
    I am not saying 531 is perfect but unless you are looking at price not performance think about the spec of many steel frames.
    If I was buying steel again I would seriously consider a big name second hand bike and spending the balence on a respray.

funkrodent

I would suggest Mercian are well worth a look. They build superlative frames (and have been doing so for 70-odd years), they have a huge amount of choice and you can get a beautifully built and finished 631 frame for (just) within your £600 price bracket. Ad to that, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a negative comment about them
    here’s the link for their audax frame which is the perfect mix of speed and comfort – http://www.merciancycles.co.uk/frames/25/audax-special

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Get a Genesis, absolute bargain for £240. Nice and comfy, climbs well enough, not to heavy, goes downhill nicely and its stiff enough. If you dont get one, whatever you do get, make sure it has phat tubes. I did have a Surly (with little, tiny thin tubes) and found it pretty flexy when sat down mashing away at the pedals.

mrmo
    Free Member

No, it’s one of the more affordable options, however there are some silly priced steel frame sets about i.e. Condor

No your getting what you pay for, Dedacciai SAT 14.5 is a decent tube set, it isn’t the highest in the range, EOM16.5, but it is a tad bit better than no name gas pipe that gets used for cheap steel frames.

There was a time that people actually looked at the tube set and looked at what was being used for head tubes chain stays and seat stays, these were always the tubes where corners got cut.

Steel is not just steel, look at the tube thickness the profiles it all matters.

Why are steel road frames so expensive?

Why does a Cervelo cost more than a giant? a bit of you charge what you can, a bit of scale, Steel is now a niche product, most road bikes are now Alu or carbon, rather than 531.

If you want expensive steel look at Pegoretti Marcelo’s, Colnago Masters, Cinelli Supercorsa’s. those are expensive, are they worth it? i guess worth is always subjective. I’ll just make do with my Lemond Platinum OX framed bike.

AntLockyer
    Free Member

My frame uses Spirit for lugs (Pegorichie) now that’s a tubeset.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Charge…?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘What steel road frame?’ is closed to new replies.