Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • What slack hardtail 29er?
  • tillyfishes
    Free Member

Looking for a slack, e.g. not race geometry 29er with a 1 by drive chain for around £1500. Any ideas?

thepodge
    Free Member

Do a search, there’s been one of these threads every 10 days for the last few months

funkmasterp

Transition Trans AM? I own one and it’s great, heavy, but great. It tells me to do things I’m not really capable of and gets me in trouble. Kingdom Vendetta looks amazing, but 1.5 would only get the frame. Get one and post pictures of it on here so that I can stare at them longingly.

Do you have a preferred build material?

Rorschach
    Free Member
    kazafaza
    Free Member

How slack do you want it to be?

Whyte bikes are not exactly steep…

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I’ve got a Canondale FSI for sale at your budget? Not as slack as they come at 69 degrees or so but still fun (and seriously fast)

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Kona Honzo.

prawny

Bigwig?

taxi25
    Free Member

I can only recommend what I own 😆
    Nukeproof scout 290.

mboy
    Free Member

recommend what I own
    Nukeproof scout 290.

Can’t seem to get hold of them anywhere any more! Have they dropped it already?

New Whyte 629 is awesome. Just over £1k with 1×11, slack and long geometry, tubeless wheels and tyres, there’s room in the budget for a stealth dropper, wider bars, decent pedals etc too.

Bregante

Last Fast Forward and spec your own build?

NormalMan

Mk2 Solaris complete build (in their silver spec) is £1650.

My Mk1 is a great bike.

taxi25
    Free Member

@mboy.Chain reaction have some left.
    Nice review here

Nukeproof Scout 290 Pro 2016 Review

honourablegeorge

Fast Forward is nice and slack

thepodge
    Free Member

You’ll have to define what you man by slack, there is at least 4 degree difference between some of the suggestions here.

I presume when you say “not race geo” you just mean you want a modern trail bike, in which case absolutely anything from any of the main brands will do.

bluebird
    Free Member

Might just about build up a Stanton frame for that if you don’t go nuts with the spec.

https://www.stantonbikes.com/product/sherpa-853-next-gen/

z1ppy

@mboy.Chain reaction have some left.

(regard NP 290 HT)

Well if the are, they’re doing a great job of hiding them (they have 275’s left) & have been for the last month.. hmm unless you mean full bikes, there a couple left but no frames (only) which most of us prefer

Mmmm the Whyte 629 looks very very good.

warns74
    Free Member
    Northwind

Fastforward is awesome but needs an offset laced wheel, which is a shame.

TBH LT 29er hardtails really feel behind the curve compared to full sussers just now, most of them seem to fall down somewhere

Ragley Bigwig is worth a look, it’s short in reach and it’s pretty expensive for what it is, but it does ride very well. Never got a chance to ride a Sherpa but it looks the business. Scout I liked once I went up a size but the stiffness spoils it for me (this is a matter of taste obviously).

The Vitus Sentier might be worth a look but I ****ing hated it tbh, not helped by the terrible spec on the one I rode… But I can’t reconcile the ride to the claimed geometry, it felt short and steep, like an XC bike with too much fork.

thepodge
    Free Member

Big wig has got a bit longer in reach fro 2017 but its still not that long

Northwind

Yeah. TBH I’m giving the Bigwig a “doesn’t ride like the numbers suggest” easy ride, on paper I’d like an extra inch at least but I think compared to the competition it still comes out pretty well. I thought about going up a size but it all got a bit tall for my little legs and it’s still only 435mm in the large, which is frankly stupid considering the rest of the package.

taxi25
    Free Member

@z1ppy. Op was asking about complete bikes not frame only, they seem to have some comp’s left.

terrahawk
    Free Member

I’ve reviewed a couple in this month’s mag. Granted they’re spendy Ti frames, but both have a cheaper version.

edhornby

Have a look at Sonder from alpkit. I tried the Broken Road on a demo day and it was really good, decent fork and kit and ti frame for 1600 or there is an ali version for less

orena45

How about a shop display Genesis High Latitude for £900?

Slack, 1×11, dropper post, decent fork, Maxxis Exo tyres…stonking price.

They’ve also got new ones for just over a grand.

I’m seriously VERY tempted to get the shop display one, but I really can’t afford it at the moment, so please buy it and make the decision for me before I get in trouble at home!

tillyfishes
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies, this should keep me busy for a bit!

rockandride
    Free Member

I can highly recommend the Bigwig. Been racing Enduro on one all season and beating the majority of fully suspended riders. It feels very similar to my Mojo HD3 when I sit on it, the angles are bang on. I’m 6ft and am riding a Medium which is a touch short with a 40mm stem (I don’t want to go longer). Could have gone for a Large with a 35mm stem but like smaller frames. Price wise the full build matches your budget but I’d recommend hand picking components (although the 2017 looks more sensibly specced than the 2016). I must admit I ended up putting some Ibis 941 carbon wheels on it which doubled the cost but has made it into a total trail weapon. Just rode a week on the steeps in the Tweed Valley and it lapped up everything! Good choice on the 29er by the way, I’ve had a Nomad CC and the Mojo HD3 but never felt that 650b was any improvement over 26″. Having spent a season on a 29er I’ll never go back. Slacked out 29’s are definitely the future, especially on a hardtail.

honourablegeorge

Northwind – Member
    Fastforward is awesome but needs an offset laced wheel, which is a shame

Pain if swapping wheels but it’s only a minor redish otherwise… wouldn’t let it put you off

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘What slack hardtail 29er?’ is closed to new replies.