Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • What size mounting bolts for my record vice?
  • grum
    Free Member

Yeah I guess I could go out to the shed and measure it but I’m lazy. 🙂

The bench I’m planning to mount it on is probably about an inch thick.

Ta.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

And the laziest post of the week award goes to….

Buy some 12mm threaded rod, big washers & nuts then cut to size.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

If you cant be bothered to use a tape measure, what use will a vice be?

lemonysam
    Free Member

If you cant be bothered to use a tape measure, what use will a vice be?

I believe that on STW owning the vice is the important thing. It allows wealthy middle aged IT managers to stay in touch with their working class roots.

porter_jamie

don’t do the m12 threaded rod thing!

i think you will find its probably a 5/8″ clearance (for a 5/8unc bolt) so go m16

sharkbait
    Free Member

Grum we need a pic otherwise we’ll all know that you’ve posted this just to look suitably niche 😉

DezB
    Free Member

I believe that on STW owning the vice is the important thing. It allows wealthy middle aged IT managers to stay in touch with their working class roots.

OOooh! Get her and her vice envy! 😆

kayak23

Threaded rod? Nah, Coach bolts you want.

Sink them low-profile into the top of the bench. Only one end to fiddle with then.
    M12 I think I used for several vices I fitted in our College workshop.

lemonysam
    Free Member

OOooh! Get her and her vice envy!

I don’t even have a work bench 🙁

porter_jamie

you might be right – M12 i’ll confirm in a hour or so

DezB
    Free Member

I don’t even have a work bench

Me neither at the moment! But I’ve got 2 lovely vices on the floor..

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

That’s a whopper!! <vice envy>

beaker2135

kayak23

Sink them low-profile into the top of the bench

That is for a woodwork vice, aren’t we assuming it’s an engineers vice?
    Either way not much point bolting it to a 1″ timber bench 2″ minimum IMHO

fasthaggis

That is for a woodwork vice, aren’t we assuming it’s an engineers vice?

Yup,but I recently used coach bolts fitting my vice ,as they were the only things that I could find ( in my box of bolts) that were long enough to go through the vice and the work bench. I just filed off some of the corners on the square and they fit flush.
    Then I painted them to match the vice. 🙂

Attention to detail,moi?

porter_jamie

Just measured them. M16

porter_jamie

this is what the bench in piccy above looks like from below

CountZero

A bit snippy today, aren’t we? As someone who was brought up in a working-class household, and who’s dad was a toolmaker at Westinghouse Brake & Signal Company, I feel I have an absolute right to own any vice I want, so there! 😛

honkiebikedude
    Free Member

I own three vices and i don’t even work in IT , hell yeah 😈

fivespot
    Free Member

Whats this M12 M16 crap, we’re talking Record vices here. They should be good ol English 5/8″, NOTHING LESS WILL DO 🙄

grum
    Free Member

Thanks folks. Just got a new house with a nice shed so I had to get a vice, and obviously with this being STW it had to be an old British-made Record (no 1). It is an engineers vice. I do need to cut down the fork steerer on my road bike so it’s not just for show. 🙂

1″ thick bench not enough? Can i just screw another piece onto the underside?

I don’t work in IT btw. And I don’t really have any working class roots to get in touch with. 😉

footflaps

I just screwed mine into the bench with some 2×4 underneath to take the threads.

Cutting threads by brf, on Flickr

NB I realise this falls way below acceptable STW standards, but I don’t really care….

oldnick

Due to the current living arrangements I don’t have a garage or workshop at present 🙁

So my old vice is bolted to a double thickness of 18mm ply. All of which then gets G-cramped to the breakfast bar when making modifying and repairing stuff 🙂

grum
    Free Member

NB I realise this falls way below acceptable STW standards, but I don’t really care….

Hang your head in shame. Go and pray to mcmoonter and ask for his forgiveness.

Due to the current living arrangements I don’t have a garage or workshop at present

Yeah it’s the first time I’ve ever had one and it’s awesome!

Keef
    Free Member

I use m12 cylinder head bolts,with nuts and washers……..

Dibbs
    Free Member

That’s a whopper!! <vice envy>

Pah!! Its only a 4″, mine’s a 6″er. 😉

And as for footflaps the vice is too far back on the bench, the rear vice jaw should be just in front of the front edge of the bench, allowing you to hold your bit of pipe vertically if you wish.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘What size mounting bolts for my record vice?’ is closed to new replies.