Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What should I do? (Gullible idiot content)
  • racingsnail
    Free Member

I bought some part worn car tyres a few weeks ago off some guy on gumtree. 4 maxxis ones for £100 with 6mm tread left “sweet, I’ll have them” I thought, went and had a look they seemed good so I bought them.
    Finally got round to getting them fitted and two of them were scrap, been stabbed through the sidewalls about 8 tiny pinpricks on each could barely see them even when they were on and pumped up.
    I was chatting to the tyre fitter who said it happens a lot and he got stung by it before as well “if they’re not on the wheel walk away” wise words.

What should I do?
    1) Pretend to be an internet tough guy and go get in has face and demand money/get revenge but not actually do anything.
    b) Let it slide, a sore lesson learned.
    4) Something else.
    z) TLDR

I don’t have the guys phone number any more I can just about remember where he lives, near Dundee I’m in Glasgow so a good 2 hour drive.
    And the car has it’s MOT on Monday so I hope the just under 2mm of tread on the old tyres is enough to pass.

I don’t know who’s the bigger arsehole him for selling them or me for trusting and believing in people.

wwaswas

Put it down to experience would be my advice, you could spend £50 on fuel and find he’s out for the day. It’s also a long time since you bought them, he’ll just say they were OK when sold.

bikemike1968
    Free Member

I would never recommend second hand tyres, you never know their history. Many have come off cars written off in accidents.

Simon

What about the second hand tyres that come with every second hand car you buy?

scaredypants

tiny pinpricks

I know you might die and that 😳 , but might one of those jizz-in-a-can products fix the leak if the damage isn’t structural

racingsnail
    Free Member

I would never recommend second hand tyres, you never know their history

Yep, but you could say the same about anything really

racingsnail
    Free Member

I know you might die and that , but might one of those jizz-in-a-can products fix the leak if the damage isn’t structural

Not on the sidewall Illegal to repair (I think)

scaredypants

well, yeah, there’s that too

…. but I’m not sure jizz counts as “repair”

(I’m not sure I’d do it – but I’d consider it)

racingsnail
    Free Member

They’re binned now anyway, I asked about a repair

Could you jus..NO!
    What if yo..NO!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Sidewall repairs are a NO! NO!
    Even if theyr’e simply…NO!

jambourgie
    Free Member

So sidewall repairs are a no-no yes?

*eyes staples holding six-inch gash in sidewall together.

righog
    Free Member

I don’t know who’s the bigger arsehole him for selling them or me for trusting and believing in people.

Definitely him, don’t stop believing in people.

m360
    Free Member

Many have come off cars written off in accidents.

So? Cars get written off for all sorts of reasons, can’t see how that means the tyres should be binned.

I would never recommend second hand tyres, you never know their history.

Do you only ever buy brand new cars then, or do you change the tyres immediately on second hand cars?

takisawa2

Are we talking car tyres or bike tyres ?
    (Didn’t know Maxis made car tyres…).

I’ve bought part worns in the past, but budget new ones are probably just as cheap these days.

racingsnail
    Free Member

Maxxis car tyres, just like my bike! (even though I run conti’s)

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Do you only ever buy brand new cars then, or do you change the tyres immediately on second hand cars?
    If they’re on a car you can make sure they hold air otherwise you might drive say from Glasgow to Dundee, get them home, fit them and find out they have holes in them. It does happen you know, there’s a thead on STW about it here

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What should I do? (Gullible idiot content)’ is closed to new replies.