Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • what shoes for flats- mainly xc riding
  • sambob
    Free Member

i was just wondering what shoes people would reccomend for riding xc/general riding with flat pedals? thanks

robhughes
    Free Member

if your not fussy.tkmax do loads of skate shoes.
    i bought a cool pair of white addidas last weel for £20.the soles are like glue.be keeping them for the summer..

matthew_h
    Free Member

Shimano AM40 shoes are very good

ton

and if you want the best, comfiest, warmest, grippiest.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18195

robhughes
    Free Member

got the am40,s.but for £20.you can just wreck em and get a new pair-result..

Liftman

5 tens, grippyer than a grippy thing

sambob
    Free Member

rob, where did you get them for £20, i can only find them for £55 🙁

sambob
    Free Member

i would love a pair of 5 tens, but my feet are still growing and if i spent £70 on a pair, then i wouldnt have that much money left for anything else.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I just wear waterproof walking boots, which have actual grip when you have to get off the bike too

robhughes
    Free Member

sambob.
    no the addidas ones..£20

sambob
    Free Member

ohh, i get you now rob. im a fair way from a tkmaxx though, and im not going to make a special trip. the website doesnt seem to have anything on anyway.

alexonabike

+1 am40

robhughes
    Free Member

sambo.i thinkit,s just a suck it and see there.they,ve always got skate shoes.there always seem to have duffs and a couple of other makes.what size are you i could see if i could get you a pair of these as i,m going into town tomorow.there sweet they is.

Northwind

5 10s are great but good pedals and a decent skate shoe give you all the grip you need, for most riding anyway. Once you've got enough, any more is "more than enough". They do feel extremely confidence inspiring though, which is definately a good thing, and they give you more margin for error.

sambob
    Free Member

thanks rob, but you dont need to, ill just get some from mandmdirect, they always have something decent and cheap, or i might get some nike 6.0's in the sale somewhere.

bigbloke
    Free Member

5 10's for me, but they are really too much money and a bit ott for local xc .

Currently dabbling with spd's…….though it is a bit love / hate with them.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

I have the shimano MP90s which use the same sole as the AM40s. Would recommend them, feel as sticky as my old 5.10s
    The AM40s look a LOT better too! But the 90s were very cheap.

jedi

get 2 pairs of skate shoes from tk max.

_tom_
    Free Member

Some guy on ebay sells Vans for really cheap. The waffle sole is pretty grippy.

Not really the best looking or most well-made shoes though, I've only had mine a few weeks and the stitchings already started to come undone!

pigyn
    Free Member

One thing people seem to be missing out on is stiffness. The AM40's are very stiff, and can be made much stiffer still by swapping in inner last thing. 5.10s have more grip and the sole seems to last longer, but they flex quite a bit, esp once bedded in. This is great for DH but on long ish XC rides can lead to foot pain and leg fatigue, as you have to use more muscles to support your foot. Skate shoes are even worse for this, some are so thin you can feel the pins through them (like 5.10s casual looking shoe!)
    You can get some sweet skate shoes but look for ones with a thicker sole, like BMX sig ones.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Yep 5.10's great shoes, I use the Impact High as I like the extra support, been using them in the snow and they kept my feet warm and dry, can't say I've noticed the flex and thought them to be as stiff as my salomon type walking shoes that I used before, I've done 50 miles xc type rides in them fine but I used to find that the stiffer SPD shoes seemed to cause my feet more aches and pains than flats, skate shoes i tried did seem too thin and flexy though … I'd buy the 5.10's again, worth the initial cost IMO.

robhughes
    Free Member

pigyn .totaly agree with you on that one.thats why i bought those addidas ones.the sole is quite stiff and the rubber is sooooo soft.

rolfharris
    Free Member

Normally I'd say Shimano AM40s, but if your feet are growing then a set of Nike 6.0 mids in a sale will be great. Almost everyone in our club's got a set and we all love them. They're excellent shoes.

Curly68
    Free Member

I only use flat pedals and like my Vans. Can pick them up cheap as well and fairly grippy. Just picked up a set of Airwalks for £20 from local Factory Clearance shop. They are only going to get wrecked, so don't see the point in shelling out £70 on shoes!

sambob
    Free Member

just ordered some am40s from merlin for £54, thanks for all the suggestions.

Johnboy373
    Free Member

I went out looking for 5 10 impacts today with no joy. However I got a cracking deal on a pair of Northwave Expedition gore tec shoes!! Were 100 got them for 50. I is well happy.

sambob
    Free Member

my shoes have not arrived yet!! more than a week after i ordered them, and no word from merlin. im not a happy bunny. 🙁

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘what shoes for flats- mainly xc riding’ is closed to new replies.