Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • What shock for a Specialized Enduro, or who services Specialized Brain's?
  • epicsteve
    Free Member

Just built up an Enduro using a 2nd hand frame and bits from my Soul and parts bin:

The only issue, which I knew about when I bought the frame, was that the Brain on the shock isn't working. That means it's very bouncy when climbing. TF don't service Brain shocks so who else in the UK does?

Alternatively I'm thinking about replacing the shock with something with Pro-pedal instead of the Brian. The original shock is 195×50 and CRC have a couple of options that look like they'd work for about £100 or so:

– Fox Float R with Pro-Pedal (200×50)
    – Fox Float RP2 with Pro-Pedal (190×50)

Any advice on what'd suit best or other alternatives?

khani
    Free Member

190×50 rp2 and the flipflop in the slack position is the best bet, thats closest to the standard size, 200×50 will steepen the head angle and raise the bb which is not good,
    also on the rp2 you can turn the pp off for decents whice is good

pyekid
    Free Member

Hi Epicsteve,

Looks good 🙂

When i looked into getting the brain serviced it was with these guys.

http://www.stendec-works.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3&Itemid=4

Good luck with it..

geetee1972
    Free Member

I've had one of those myself and I switched out the Brain damper for a Fox Vanilla with a Titanium spring. To be honest, the thing pedaled as well with that unit as it had done with the brain set to open. If you spent the £100 CRC are asking for the Fox RP2, not only would it most likely not cost a whole lot more than getting the brain serviced, it would also significantly improve the performance of the bike.

PJM1974
    Free Member

First of all good choice on the frame.

The shock is a custom length unit, but modern shocks can be modified to fit – Mojo can probably do this for you if you ask nicely.

Someone else has mentioned Romic – the Romic coil is a fantastic shock, it really nails down the rear end of the Enduro and resists the pedal induced sag inherent in the rear suspension design. I have one for mine!

Getting the spring rate right on a Romic is essential.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Haven't Romic stopped making dampers? Last I heard they were unavailble at least in the UK if not worldwide.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice. I've ordered the RP2 in 190×50.

JoeBones
    Free Member

I see the shock is fitted upside down, I had one of the first 2003 Enduros like that and ended up binning the itch switch shock and fitting a 5th Element.

As 5th is no longer available your choice seems ok,these bike pedal exceptionally well anyway.

Good luck

pixelmix
    Free Member

epicsteve, Dales in Glasgow serviced the brain/shock on my epic under warranty and got the parts in from Specialized. Have you tried there? The mechanic that did mine sounded like he knew what he was talking about.

My brain wasn't kicking in as the shock was leaking oil, so newer, better seals were fitted, and it has been fine since.

Mind you, if you can get a new shock for £100…

james
    Free Member

Specialized UK sercied mine. Though mine is a Specialized shock as well as the brain, nothing to do with fox

undapressure
    Free Member

Cane Creek double barrel, nothing else compares to it.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Cane Creek double barrel, nothing else compares to it.

I'm sure it's good, but also rather too expensive for this project!

epicsteve
    Free Member

My brain wasn't kicking in as the shock was leaking oil, so newer, better seals were fitted, and it has been fine since.

Once I get the RP2 installed and working I might have a go at servicing the original shock myself.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Mojo, or Specialized UK can service these shocks. But your choice of replacement will work well.

epicsteve
    Free Member

That's the RP2 fitted. I've only had time to ride it up and down my street (which is very bumpy at the moment as it's all snow & ruts) and it seems to work pretty well. Certainly it's a lot less bouncy when pedalling compared to the shock with the non functioning brain.

kellyllek
    Free Member

Hi epicsteve. I just got my 2004 Enduro working again after sitting for 4 years! Unfortunately I have the same problem; my brain isn’t working! It’s like a trampoline!

I was away for a few months so made the mistake of sending the shock of for a rebuild (note, never do this until the shock tells you it needs it). First Fox sent back the wrong one. Then it came back with the brain not working. In that first couple years of riding I wasn’t really sure what the brain did until it wasn’t working! Anyway, I never complained or sent it back because right then I moved to a 29er and the Enduro has been collecting dust ever since.

I have a local guy who may be able to work on my brain (lol). But that being said, if I switch to the RP2 do I need new spacer sleeveswhateverteve they call it? I’m not sure exactly what I need.

I also have to replace some bearings and such because the thing has been sitting so long. I rode it tonight actually and it was like riding a couch!

epicsteve
    Free Member

When I got my RP2 all I needed to do was re-use the aluminum bush things from the old shock and it fitted fine, I didn’t need to buy anything other than the shock.

Based on my experience with the Enduro I’d suggest not bothering to try and get the brain shock fixed as I think the Enduro is better with the RP2 anyway (plus it’s also lighter). As well as the RP2 I also picked up a cheap pro-pedal Vanilla coil shock from Ebay (for about £40 I think). That also worked very well – I used it when I was running the Enduro with a heavier build with Coil Pike’s.

The enduro is currently built with the RP2, 120mm Floats and light wheels and is great for general stuff like that. I tend not to bother changing the pro-pedal setting on the RP2 as it seems fine with it switched on, even when descending. When climbing it doesn’t seem to bob noticeably at all.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘What shock for a Specialized Enduro, or who services Specialized Brain's?’ is closed to new replies.