Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • What road disc dream bike?
  • titusrider
    Free Member

I want to go discs on a dream bike that has to last the next 10 years. Main criteria are:

Discs
    Thru axles
    Racing geometry not endurance/gravel bike
    Suitable for a 60kg short arse
    Fast club riding week to week but no issues doing 200k

So do I go for:
    Custom steel (stainless I think)

Custom carbon:

Or off the peg:

What options am I missing?
    What would you go for?
    Custom vs of the peg?
    Stainless vs carbon? (Or convince me on ti)

Klunk
    Free Member
    davidtaylforth
    Free Member

What’s the budget?

karnali
    Free Member

That ritte is lovely have a look at it whenever I’m in there

LeeW

Is there a budget for dream bikes?

Kuco

The new Scott Foil Premium

But still like the Argon 18 Gallium Pro disc

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

@ Karnali, my drool is starting to dull the paint 😆

tomhoward

English.

/thread

i_like_food

Easy. Custom titanium. Burls did exactly this for me (wife). I basically said “build a titanium bike that handles like a small giant TCR and that has di2/discs and room for mudguards.

Not as expensive as you might think (obviously that is relative but it worked out cheaper than a equivalent spec S works).

So good that I rode it then sold my TT bike, winter bike and summer bike and am having a similar one built. (Obviously kept my MTBs!). Justin Burl is a lovely bloke too.

Thread closed. EDIT to add winky face 😉

TiRed

Based on your weight, I’d say light as possible. Is there anything apart from your size that says you need custom geometry?

Personally, I’d say English. But they aren’t exactly easy to get hold of.

I like titanium, but think stainless steel is probably the best metal choice now. But to be honest, carbon would now be my choice (as a Defy SL owner).

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

As I own a Colnago C60, and it being the best riding bike I’ve ever tried I’d not look far past a C60 disc.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d get carbon as discs will add weight anyway and it sounds like you’re a climber in terms of physique.

Are you confident of standards being settled enough for a current disc bike to last 10 years?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Full custom, would be awesome (I’d imagine) if done correctly. I’d expect the bike to handle like an extension of your body. However, which UK builders would you trust to get it right? There are alot of new builders in the UK, but I’d want someone with loads of experience to be translating your fit into a bike that rides as well as it could do. It could be complete bollocks though.

Also, ten years is ages to keep a bike.

The only material I would discount is Stainless Steel as I think it has all the disadvantages of Titanium (i.e. hard to work with, prone to breaking) and it’s also wafer thin so I’d not expect it to last long. Ti would be a better choice as it’d stand up to knocks better, plus you’re light and wouldn’t need the extra stiffness that OS steel brings.

If you really plan on keeping it ten years then get something with a good warranty. I mean who’re Ritte bikes? Will they even be about in 10 years? Enigma seem to do loads of Ti bikes and they’ve been around for a while.

Other thing is mudguards; the whole point of discs is for wet weather riding so you may aswell get something that clears them i.e. no 400mm chainstays.

I’d probs get a CAAD disc with 10 speed mechanical Campag (which coincidentally is what I ahve) 😀 Dream big.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Lots of really nice bikes! What about a Canyon? Maybe not up there with the more boutique offerings but it is nice.

ULTIMATE CF SLX DISC 9.0 AERO

Zipp wheels and Sram Red ETap. Aero and light,

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road/ultimate/ultimate-cf-slx-disc-9-0-aero.html

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Give these guys a call, Parlee and Cipollini dealers
    https://www.pushcartel.co.uk/shop/?category=Framesets

dirtyrider
    Free Member

off the peg?

Lightweight Urgestalt Disc

Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Custom? any of the multitude of builders who exhibit at Bespoked

Haze

Really wish you wouldn’t have linked to that site…

Kuco

If I was going down the custom route imo i’d go for an Enigma Ti

tang
    Free Member

Carbon; custom Filament
    Ti: Firefly ti or ti/carbon
    Steel: English, feather
    mainly as they will all understand your brief.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Custom Ti builder of your choice
    Mudguard and 30mm (minimum) tyre clearance. Tyres are getting phatter, and if you’re buying a bike “forever” it may as be one you can ride “whenever”. No point having a Sunday Best Garage Queen. If it’s filthy outside, get outside and ride!
    Carbon bars/post
    Saddle au choix
    Di2
    Skinwalls

That is all.

velocipede
    Free Member

I had a Reilly RS7 stainless road bike built earlier this year – fantastic ride – if I had unlimited cash, I’d get another built but go discs this time (callipers on the one I’ve got)

(this is it on the day it was built – slightly different now and the steerer has been cut down!)

Mister-P
    Free Member

If I was buying a bike to last 10 years I’d not go carbon. Imagine how dated it will look when it’s that old. At least with a metal bike looking old can be described as classic.

njee20
    Free Member

English.

/thread

This. Gorgeous frames.

Ritte just sell frames from the Far East surely? Nice enough, but why not go straight to source? FWIW I’ve got 2 Deng Fu frames (including a disc one) and like them very much.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Custom Sarto Seta disk.

titusrider
    Free Member

Thanks all, Lots to think about

Tang, I see from the thread a couple of months ago you know your onions – thanks

I just can get excited about English for the very reason they aren’t English

And much as I’d love Enigma, every one of their frames pictured has a massive ‘sportive friendly’ length head tube that I just hate ( yes I know it’s custom and I could change it but just worries me, would they get it?)

I also take on board being a lighter guy, carbon might be nice to keep the weight in check.

Current favourite is a call to filament and see how I get on there. Oh and work out where the money is gonna come from, anyone want a Cotic simple 26er? 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

I just can get excited about English for the very reason they aren’t English

Assume you mean “can’t get excited”? You know Rob English is English though? Just moved to Oregon because that’s where the handbuilt ‘scene’ is.

fanatic278
    Free Member

3T Strada?

I like the idea of 1x on a road bike (more so than on an MTB). Is it sporty geometry though…?

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

I am in the same predicament
    Thinking a bit more practical though with full mudguard fitment and a 1000 price for
    frameset.
    Current frames in the running are Mason Definition and Fairlight Strael.
    If my budget could stretch maybe a Bowmans Layman’s disc?
    Max

fanatic278
    Free Member

Or Cervelo S3 disc, with Enve wheels:

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Or Cervelo S3 disc, with Enve wheels:

Stunning; a bike of a future. In ten years time everyone else will have only just caught up.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I hope that Cervelo is custom geo… 😯

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’d get a Field. I know sod all about road bikes, but they look pretty.

Or a Speedvagen. They look nice too.

onandon
    Free Member

I have an s3 disc. Should have gone with the 3t strada.
    Also have an s3 rim brake 1×11 – wicked bike.

tlr

I’ve spent the last few weeks test riding the 2018 Cervelo R5 Etap. Very, very nice, and significantly different to my older R5.

Feels stiffer, but still comfortable, lots of aero design features but still looks like a classic bike shape, pretty light (although the Zipp wheels are a bit porky). I’ve got the rim brake but thru axle disc is an option.

I’m sure other brands make similar bikes, but I was impressed with the improvements in just 3 generations of frame between it and mine.

Digger90
    Free Member

This:

GCN Handbuilt Bike

But with 2 x11 and closer tyre tolerances.

I have an appointment with Tom Sturdy next weekend to get one made for me. The design principles meet all my criteria, except the occasional off-road ability (I don’t care about that – got enough Cross and MTB’s already – mine will strictly be for tearing up the road!)

Can’t wait!

oldnpastit

I wonder if ten years time you will still want the same kind of bike. Even if ideas about bikes don’t change, your body is going to be ten years older, stiffer, heavier, slower.

titusrider
    Free Member

well my thread has been rather messed up by the forum move and it has taken me a while but im nearly there….

Custom carbon by Filament is on the way 🙂

four
    Free Member

I’m looking for something similar and keep coming back to this- http://www.donhoubicycles.com/signature-steel/dss1/

although I am going to look at Casati Espresso RS.

titusrider
    Free Member

Yeah saw your thread, i also considered steel but my thought process was considerably influenced by the bike weight calcs i did.

once you add a steel frame, disc groupset and mildly sensible parts you might be disspointed how much that might weigh.

Put it this way, ive thrown a lot of money at my build (dura ace mech/hydro, hunt wheels, some berk/extralite parts) and im probably still gonna be over 7kg by the time im finished.

Thats an estimated 900g frame weight, you can double that for a mainstream steel frame therefore 8kg is very likely.

i knew id be disappointed by that, whether you will be only you know 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘What road disc dream bike?’ is closed to new replies.