Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • What remote car?
  • johndoh
    Free Member

Just had my 50th and have been given lots of £££££s that my wife says I must spend on me. Have fancied a remote car for a while but looking towards a slower one (Landy Defender) over a Mental quick one so my girls can use it too – any recommendations?

colp

Traxxas are amazing but maybe a bit quick for what you want

twonks

I have a Taxxas Revo that I converted from Nitro to brushless as it was just too noisy for the area I want to use it in.

I actually got more fun out of building it than driving as the thing is so ludicrously fast and capable it is just boring to use slow.

Then when it is that fast, it is on the verge of serious damage in a crash and in need of a huge space to play with.

I also had a Axial Wraith rock crawler come fast ish thing. This was much more fun in hindsight but I sold it foolishly.

Depending on how much lots of ££££ is, I’d be temped by something scale moddel ish or a Traxxas Summit and a brushless convertion to give the best of both worlds.

RustyNissanPrairie

Traxxis Trx4.

Traxxis Defender

[video]https://youtu.be/dj6KBFL2NKs[/video]

Here endeth thread

CountZero

That Defender is bloody amazing! Remote lockable diffs; that’s more than a lot of full-size 4×4’s have!

johndoh
    Free Member

That Traxxax Defender is exactly the vehicle I had been looking at (and have just about the £££££ needed) but just wanted to check to see if there was anything else I should be considering.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Its got cruise control?!?

johndoh
    Free Member

I am just struggling with the concept of spending £500 on a toy (but I have wanted one for ages and I have my wife’s backing)!

Wookster

That Defender is awesome!!!!

prawny

How many ££££s?

[video]https://youtu.be/f7IJWpkMwAE[/video]

😆

northernmatt

I bought a Tamiya Blackfoot for the reasons you have. I didn’t want to spend much more to be honest as it is just a toy at the end of the day.

sbob
    Free Member

You had me at “remote locking diffs”. 😳

johndoh
    Free Member

Ordered (the Traxxax Defender) – I shall report back once I have it in my hands and operational 🙂

stumpy01

😀

NICE!!

goby

Oh watching this thread with great envy! 🙂

deadslow

@johndoh
    Are we to expect an unboxing thread, just to make everyone more envious?

johndoh
    Free Member

Gutted that I can’t use it straight away though – no-one had the battery pack required (it doesn’t come with one) so have to wait for it to come back in stock. I did try to buy the bits separately but I couldn’t find the correctly rated pack with the Traxxax connectors anywhere! I am going to be very frustrated tomorrow when it is sat there looking at me…

I shall post pictures 🙂

jeffl

Just change the connectors for some more standard one’s. Or does anyone sell a convertor?

DrP

THat Landy is chuffing awesome….
    WANT!

I’ve a traxxas revo nitro car..super fast, crazy fun, but as pointed out up there… It’s too fast for ‘pootling around the garden’ and when it crashes, it costs…..

I REALLY can’t justify that Landy.
    Can i???

DrP

johndoh
    Free Member

Just change the connectors for some more standard one’s. Or does anyone sell a convertor?

I could, but for the sake of getting it right first time I have just opted to wait it out and get the matched kit from the suppliers of the vehicle 🙂

1981miked
    Free Member

That’s marvellous and about as close as I’ll get to owning a defender..

Properly tempted!

johndoh
    Free Member

It has arrived.

Sadly no sign of a battery yet though.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

That`s a belter, if only I had some spare coin sat around, enjoy 🙂

GrahamS

Interesting thread.

I’ve been given two 1980s vintage Tamiya models that a mate found in his attic. I’ll post them up at some point this weekend for discussion.

johndoh
    Free Member

if only I had some spare coin sat around

I never do and I was pleasantly surprised that my wife insisted on me getting a pretty significant amount of ££££s for my birthday (my brother is quite comfortably off and he wanted to treat me the same as he did our other brother on his 50th – despite me saying I would like him to put it into our kids’ Uni savings accounts). So I thought what the hell, you’re only 50 once…

smiththemainman
    Free Member

I was 50 three weeks back and got £350 off various family members to treat myself to something like this, put it in a cup on the side and I have dipped into it rather than visit the hole in the wall ,alas there was £25 in it this morning that will be gone tonight after a few pints!! Always happens 🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

^^^ Which is exactly why I thought ‘stuff this’ and bought it before it disappeared somewhere else.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Yep, going to feel like I`m buying my own present!!

vinnyeh

By god that’s a stonking toy johndoh.

I’ve just done a similar thing, put birthday money from the m-i-l towards a secondhand Vaterra Slickrock- my first ever rc car- but that Defender looks absolutely awesome in comparison- I hope you really enjoy it.

It’s great when you have the opportunity to have a totally guilt-free wee splurge on something completely unnecessary but fun- you don’t get too many chances when you’re part of a family.

colp
    johndoh
    Free Member

It’s great when you have the opportunity to have a totally guilt-free wee splurge on something completely unnecessary but fun- you don’t get too many chances when you’re part of a family.

Exactly – but I did still choose something my little girls (they are 8) can enjoy with me 🙂

By god that’s a stonking toy johndoh.

Thank you 🙂

goby

Ah wow, blimey so you dont have to make it at all then? Does look very nice!! What controller did you go for?

johndoh
    Free Member

Nope – it works straight out of the box and comes with a matched controller with buttons and switches for high/low gearing, diff lock (front only or full lock), cruise control etc 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I do like that Landrover, but as an ex RC racer it has two problems for me
    1 It comes ready assembled. I like to build my own.
    2 Steer wheel controller. I was brought up on twin stick as we’re most British racers and I’d struggle to adapt

I’d still like one though.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

couldn’t find the correctly rated pack with the Traxxax connectors anywhere!

Rip em off and solder your own on. 5 minute job.

johndoh
    Free Member

Battery pack being delivered between 9.36am and 10.35am….

It feels like Christmas.

DrP

I took my nitro Revo 3.3 to rag around the beach yesterday afternoon…
    My hands are cut up, it lasted about 15 minutes before the gearbox shifter fannied up, and it was noisy…

The noise was fun, but ‘leccy is the way to go…

I REALLY want one of these defenders – the slow speed would be idea for my lad, and we’ve some brilliant rocks nearby we could spend hours driving over…

Hmm…
    I’ll wait a few months… £400 will be my ‘buy it now’ price!

DrP

DrP

Pete – most (i.e early all) cars nowadays are wheel controller..
    It’s actually much more intuative…

I think i’ll havea go at converting my nitro revo to brushless first – I reckon a few £100 would get ol’s smokey joe running on sparks!

DrP

johndoh
    Free Member

I’ll wait a few months… £400 will be my ‘buy it now’ price!

I have seen it at £470 but they didn’t have it in stock.

the slow speed would be idea for my lad,

Which is another reason I wanted it – my girls will have fun with it too. Last night they got all their RC things out (impatience at not being able to use it) – little ‘copters, a cheapo 4×4, ‘floating’ fairies etc 🙂

woodster

That’s wicked!

Didn’t realise I even wanted an RC car till I saw that. The diff locks are very cool.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘What remote car?’ is closed to new replies.