• This topic has 142 replies, 53 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by juliachiller-spam.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 143 total)
  • What protein shakes do you use?
  • edward2000
    Free Member

I have recently brought some maxi muscle protein powder from a well known supermarket at 22 quid a go and only realising there are 15 servings in it, so I ‘m looking for a cheaper per serving option.

Where’s the best value protein stuff available from? What do u use and where do u get it from?

crankrider
    Free Member

http://www.myprotenin.co.uk

They do nice shakers with a little ball in them so you don’t get lumpy bits that make you want to vomit…

jam-bo

What do u use and where do u get it from?

A healthy mixed diet…

Scapegoat

Myprotein.com (not for me, my Rugby playing gym monster son uses them)

Strawberry and cream flavour is nice but the Apple Crumble and Custard flavour is astonishing.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Egg nog

Rorschach
    Free Member

Frijj

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I chuck a pound of raw steak in a blender and drink immediately after exercise.

On a serious note yop is protein packed and doesn’t cost the earth.

mcnultycop

When I’m lifting I use Matrix stuff, from eBay (they have a shop in Skelmersdale, can’t remember the sellers name). It’s about the cheapest I’ve found that tastes OK and doesn’t get too lumpy.

mooman
    Free Member
    sc-xc

I knew there would be someone piping up with ‘healthy diet’.

Difficult to get that much protein with supplements (I aim for 200g per day). I like SciMx stuff, but I think all the brands are pretty evenly priced.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

I’ve been using CNP stuff after exercise, used to use Maximuscle/Frijj millshakes. I’d rate ’em all about the same to be honest in terms of how I feel after a session and how they taste. Frijj were difficult to keep in the house ‘cos of the bloody kids, but the Maximuscle/CNP is pricey, you makes your choice. I now get the CNP stuff cheaper per serving than Frijj so it might be worth seeing if you can get a deal if your LBS stocks it and you’re buying it all the time.

Using MyProtein instant oats/protein for breakfast, it’s cheap but gopping!

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Milk. Scientifically proven to be the best stuff for you after exercise. All the protein your body needs plus everything else you don’t get from supplements. Nature knows best.

sc-xc

I don’t fancy drinking 10 pints of milk a day

sc-xc

And if nature knew best, why would we drink the milk of another species?

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

I’d have a go if it was breast milk….

gears_suck
    Free Member

sc-xc – Member

+1 for milk. Drink ten pints of any protein drink a day and you’ll be a right fat barsteward. Drink 1 pint of milk after exercise and it’ll do more than a fancy protein shake at four times the cost.

gears_suck
    Free Member

sc-xc – Member
    And if nature knew best, why would we drink the milk of another species?

So. You’re a cannibal then.

sc-xc

I don’t drink 10 pints of anything a day, but a pint of milk will give me around 20g protein. A shake, will be more like 60g.

sc-xc

gears_suck – Member
    sc-xc – Member

Not sure what you’re on about.

gears_suck
    Free Member

sc-xc – Member
    I don’t drink 10 pints of anything a day, but a pint of milk will give me around 20g protein. A shake, will be more like 60g.

yes and 300 grams of refined sugar, stabilizers, anti caking agent, sodium, colouring etc etc.
    Knock yourself out!

sc-xc

Whatever, expert.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Wel I think the women’s lib movement would have something to say if we started corralling pregnant women into cow sheds and hook them upto the milking machines.

What are you doing to think your body needs 200 pr 600 grams of Protein a day? I doubt the human body can use 200g of protein a day even if you’re pumping iron like Arnie.

zilog6128

Impact Whey Protein (unflavoured) from MyProtein is what I normally use. It’s a decent price, doesn’t have too many ingredients and mixes really well. Cheaper than milk for protein.

benji
    Free Member

Been pleased with the High5 protein shake, mixes well with milk unlike some other brands, and a protein/recovery bar, ideal after evening races before the drive home.

gears_suck
    Free Member

sc-xc Not sure what you’re on about.

I didn’t think you would be. It refers to your comment about nature knowing best. In which case why would we consume the meat of another animal?
    It’s a lame argument!

sc-xc – Member
    Whatever, expert.

Very adult! Did someone piss on your cereals with almond milk this morning? 😀

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Milk. Scientifically proven to be the best stuff for you after exercise. All the protein your body needs plus everything else you don’t get from supplements. Nature knows best.

Milk makes you fat, ever seen a lean baby?

Has its place though, google the GOMAD diet. Used if you want to gain weight in a hurry.

brokenbanjo

I drink at least two pints of milk a day and I ain’t fat at 64kg! Probably the best recovery drink you can have, in my opinion. If Have done something particularly hard, then I may have some scrambled eggs too. The way I see it, the lighter I am and the more toned my muscles become, without putting mass on, the easier it is to climb.

footflaps

yes and 300 grams of refined sugar, stabilizers, anti caking agent, sodium, colouring etc etc.
    Knock yourself out!

That’s not protein powder, sounds like you’re confusing it with drinking a can of coca-cola….

If you buy Whey Protein powder, then it’s just that, no sugar, no flavouring, no additives….

Kuco

I drink a pint of milk and i’ll end up with my head down the toilet 10 minutes later bringing it back up.

jameso

Choc milk is good. Or after a longer ride, protein powder from Boots, £9 per 250g with 80% protein content. Mix 2 big spoons with Nesquik and 750ml milk. Prob 30-40p a go. But no need if your muscles aren’t hurting after a ride. (edit, just looked up myprotein, will give that a go as it’s a lot cheaper)

Otherwise use dried milk powder in place of protein powder, really cheap. 30% protein so 3 tablespoons is about 10g protein. Adds a bit to the milk anyway.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Another vote for myprotein whey. Vanilla is nicest in my view. If you want to get big you
    need to eat 🙂

_tom_
    Free Member

Apple Crumble and Custard flavour is astonishing.

Is that good or bad astonishing?

I usually get mine from myprotein. The chocolate ones aren’t very nice, choco-nut was appalling. The natural banana one’s the nicest I’ve tried so far.

Dymatize elite gourmet protein is the best (can make it up with water and it still tastes great) but it’s so expensive. Their chocolate peanut butter is lovely.

phil40
    Free Member

I think for a fit male training five days a week (based on 180lbs) you should aim for an intake of about. 80g per day!

You can take more in but I think your body just gets rid of excess, a nice conversion into urea, so you can pee out that nice expensive protein!

jonny-m
    Free Member

As a nutritionist I can confirm that people using supplements may as well pour their money down the toilet.
    Even with heavy training you can and are better off getting all your protein from real food. Your body will only accept and process so much anyway….
    Supplements are all about making money unfortunately. If you prepare some food and eat properly at the correct time then that is more than sufficient. I have in te past used a shake but only as a last resort, when there was no other option!
    Ask yourself when did you ever really notice a difference that a protein shake made.
    Also be aware if the sugar content in milk shakes…. Up to 50g in most!
    Go and weigh 50g of sugar out and ask yourself if you really need that every day?

oldboy
    Free Member

As a nutritionist I can confirm that people using supplements may as well pour their money down the toilet.
    Even with heavy training you can and are better off getting all your protein from real food. Your body will only accept and process so much anyway….
    Supplements are all about making money unfortunately. If you prepare some food and eat properly at the correct time then that is more than sufficient. I have in te past used a shake but only as a last resort, when there was no other option!
    Ask yourself when did you ever really notice a difference that a protein shake made.
    Also be aware if the sugar content in milk shakes…. Up to 50g in most!
    Go and weigh 50g of sugar out and ask yourself if you really need that every day?

Well said, jonny m! Never read such nonsense as appears above. I ran 50-70 miles a week for over 20 years (and competed at a good club standard) and a balanced diet was all my body required.

_tom_
    Free Member

They taste nice and are a better sweet fix than something with loads of sugar in ie the milkshakes people are on about in this thread. And an easy/convenient source of ~20g protein. I only really have mine if I haven’t had time to make proper food or had a day where I’ve not eaten much protein though. Good for a quick breakfast before work as well.

jameso

jonny m, I was told that a shake is good as it can be absorbed much faster than digesting meat protein and the faster it gets to the muscles the better, so I switched from eggs or fish and pasta etc after a big ride to a shake and some simple carbs right after a ride, and a similar good meal later. Is that right/wrong? I’m also sceptical of sports foods generally but I have seen improvements in my riding from better recovery and adaptation since making that change, maybe other things have been a factor though like different riding/training patterns.

tish
    Free Member

Nobody has asked why he is using supplements. The clue is in the name they are supplements to your diet. Depending on your goals they can be useful if used correctly.
    Jonny m, surely as a nutritionist you know this otherwise why would you have had protein in the past as a last resort?
    They can be convenient and usefull if you are timing your food intakes and for other reasons than after a bike ride.

jonny-m
    Free Member

I wasn’t born a nutritionalist so yes I’ve had the odd protein shake in the past until I knew better
    Look at the sugar content in the majority of them, and most of them taste horrid too.
    What I will say is that it’s much better for you to get your protein from Lean meat/eggs/nuts/fish etc than it is to drink a highly refined, processed, usually artificially sweetened, minging mikshake.
    Agreed it can be absorbed quicker than the above but there’s ways and means of getting around this. If you must have a protein shake try making your own out of some milk,(almond, gold etc) fresh fruit or berries, peanut butter, honey (organic where possible) etc and take it with you for post ride/race
    At least you know what’s in it then….

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Sometimes it’s easier to down a shake after a session than prepare real food. Today I had time so I made a delicious trout, rice noodle and veg meal to eat straight after a brutal 50 mile team training ride. On say a Wednesday night at 10pm after a hard day at work followed by an interval session, then a quick shake before driving home can be a real blessing.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 143 total)

The topic ‘What protein shakes do you use?’ is closed to new replies.