Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • What nice, steel hardtail frame?
  • ttf
    Free Member

Hi guys – looking to begin a new “all round” mountain bike build up… I want something I can run up to 120mm forks on (probably just run 100 but would be nice!). Other than it being steel, my size (about 18″) and not horrific looking, i’m not fussed!

What would you recommend? I’m going to have it powder coated so condition not vital.

Have looked at kinesis decade virsa’s and similar… that’s the sort of thing i’m after!

Over to you…

bobbyatwork
    Free Member

soul…end of

ElShalimo

Cove Handjob ?

Duffer
    Free Member

You mean apart from an Inbred?

ttf
    Free Member
    ahwiles
    Free Member

or a ‘normal’ inbred.

on-one aren’t really allowed to say this, and probably neither am i, but a ‘normal’ inbred is fine with 120mm forks.

i didn’t see the price on your link, that’s a bargain.

lee93
    Free Member

Ragley or cotic

mboy
    Free Member

For under 100 quid, you can’t go wrong with a 456 at all.

They’re not light, or the last word in modern materials and geometry, but they’re solid and reliable and ride pretty well for what they are. And a 120-130mm fork is about ideal on them too, they can take longer but it relaxes them too much IMO.

Cotic Soul would be nicer, but gonna be more expensive. If you can find a Genesis Altitude in your size also, try one, very much like a Cotic Soul but a bit cheaper.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I have a Ragley blue pig x, it rides beautifully and is so adaptable with the 44mm ht and 30.9 seat tube. Most versatile frame out there I can think of .

headpotdog
    Free Member

+1 for Genesis Altitude. Love mine 🙂

vegman
    Free Member

I’m 6’1 would an 18″ 456 be big enough?

Northwind

Nothing wrong with an Inbred or 456 but they’re not what springs to mind when looking for a nice steel frame. They’re great value, solid performing, honest bikes but nice? Nah. TBH I don’t think either really rides like the idea you probably have in your head of what a steel frame is like either- lots of metal in them, makes them relatively stiff and dead-feeling compared to your Soul or similiar, IMO.

Speaking of which, that’s what the answer is- a Soul or one of the Soul’s very sincere flatterers.

ahwiles
    Free Member

vegman – Member

I’m 6’1 would an 18″ 456 be big enough?

maybe…

i’m 6’1″ (and-a-half), but i’ve got 36″ legs (gooch to ground), and needed a very long seat post to get comfy on a 18″ inbred.

if your legs are a bit shorter than mine, you should be ok.

vegman
    Free Member

thanks, I’ve got shorter legs than you so I’ve gone for it!

ahwiles
    Free Member

cool, please post some photo’s on here when you’ve built it up.

(mainly so we can tell you that your lawn needs mowing / fence needs painting/ garage needs tidying)

inbreds seem a little bit old-school on paper, but they love a set of wide bars and a shortish stem, especially if you’re man-size.

Mikeypies
    Free Member

I have an inbred and have just got a Soul . The Soul is a bit lighter with a better finish but they ride quite similar but the Soul seems to be smoother and feels more comfortable fit wise for me. The 456 is a no brainer to be honest it is almost disposable at £99

jambalaya
    Free Member

Soul or Prince Albert.

oldgrump08
    Free Member

Sanderson Life or Breath. Trust me 😉

Duffer
    Free Member

on-one aren’t really allowed to say this, and probably neither am i, but a ‘normal’ inbred is fine with 120mm forks.

They were revised a couple of years ago, in line with the CEN regulations. So it’s now certified for 120mm forks. The 456 passed the CEN tests without modification at 160mm.

Nipper99
    Free Member

I have a decade virsa and am on my third frame in two years. i now have the beefed up version with a thicker seat tube (the previous two frames cracked on the seat tubes) and bigger head tube. its a great frame to ride with 100 or 120 mm forks but i would say the build quality and finish of the frame are a bit pants i.e. the seat tube is a sloppy fit (decent easton seat post) so the post creeps down and the paint chips even if you look at it funny. a shame and i kind of wish i had bought something else.

tommy19
    Free Member

I have a 19 inch cotic soul with hope headset and qr seat clamp?

iainc

Rock Lobster 853 ?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Curtis. My S1 is a thing of beauty.

loddrik
    Free Member

Just bought a Sanderson Life, it’s pretty good.

muddyfunster
    Free Member

ttf

Hi guys – looking to begin a new “all round” mountain bike build up

and not horrific looking

Duffer

You mean apart from an Inbred?

Do you see where you went wrong there? Same goes for you fd3chris.

el_bandido
    Free Member

I used to have a Sanderson Life, which I liked, but it always felt a bit upright and high when things got steep and rocky. Now I have a Genesis Latitude (after having a full suss in between) and I’ve got to say that for most of the rides I do I love it. It feels strangely controlled and comfortable in the really rough stuff, it copes well with natural riding in the lakes and the Peaks, and for North York moors type riding it beats anything else I’ve ridden. Dunno, it seems like a very well thought out frame for ‘natural’ XC riding, and for ‘midfield’ racing (I did the manx E2E and Hit the North on it).

If there’s a downside it’s that it’s not as nimble and ‘flickable’ as other bikes I’ve had. I actually had to practice bunnyhopping a fair bit when I first built it up. My brother, who normally rides a spesh SX trail and a BMX, didn’t get on with it at all when he took it for a spin round Lee Quarry. So if you’re mostly into ‘man made’ riding it might not be what you’re looking for.

I’m 6ft and have the large size it’s definitely as big as I could sensibly go. Running 120mm Rebas, would work fine with 100mm though.

For reference I once rode a demo Cove Handjob and really couldn’t get on with at all. One of the more disappointing bikes I’ve ridden. A lot of folk love them though. Horses for courses etc

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Get an old Kona, it’ll be better than all of the above.

c9tln
    Free Member

Pipedream Sirius is a good choice.

pitcherpro
    Free Member

I like the look of the Kona steely .

fishcake
    Free Member

Ragley Piglet!

gdj001
    Free Member

I’ve got a Genesis Altitude 30 frame (853 steel) 19″ if you’re interested?

IainAhh
    Free Member

Genesis Altitude is a nice ride. Light enough and covers the gound well for general xc type duties. Also pretty able on rough downs with a decent fork up front.

mboy
    Free Member

Get an old Kona, it’ll be better than all of the above.

Erm, not if you want to run any modern kit on it. Good as they were, rose tinted specs need taking off methinks…

Anyway… Before I bought my 853 Steel Genesis Altitude, a mate of mine had not long had one. I asked him what it rode like… His answer was “like an old DeKerf, or a Steel Kona, only you can run longer forks on it, use disc brakes, and it’s a bit stiffer”… Instantly sold it to me!

Only sold my 853 one (after 3 years of ownership) when I found a Ti version for sale very cheaply on here…

FWIW though, the Altitude does ride very similarly to the Cotic Soul.

headpotdog
    Free Member

I haven’t ridden a Soul, but on paper they do look to have very similar geometry at least. Love the way Altitudes ride though. Lively on climbs, responsive on singletrack & positively encourages you to give it a thrashing on the downhills too. Great all round bike IMO… Just like a Soul apparently…

stanfree
    Free Member

Went from a 18″ 456 to a 15.5″ Prince Albert and Im so much happier. Im 5’9″ so was kinda inbetween the 16″ and 18″ 456. All in all think the PA is a better frame and looks better in either green or orange , also the little gimmicks of being able to spin the quick release on the rear end is cool.
    A few of my mates have Cotics and they look nice but whether they justify the extra coin I’m not so sure.

stanfree
    Free Member

Went from a 18″ 456 to a 15.5″ Prince Albert and Im so much happier. Im 5’9″ so was kinda inbetween the 16″ and 18″ 456. All in all think the PA is a better frame and looks better in either green or orange , also the little gimmicks of being able to spin the quick release on the rear end is cool.
    A few of my mates have Cotics and they look nice but whether they justify the extra coin I’m not so sure.

IHN

I’ve got a Genesis Altitude 30 frame (853 steel) 19″ if you’re interested?

I might be. Care to send me some pics and info on condition?

Haze

Still very much smitten with my Cotic, from a price perspective I’m very happy that I went that extra mile.

purser_mark
    Free Member

I had an 853 Explosif, great bike, but not as good all rounder as my Soul.

Def worth a test ride, the geometry just seems right. Most people that through a leg over it say the same thing.

jonny-m
    Free Member

This one…[/img]

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘What nice, steel hardtail frame?’ is closed to new replies.