Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 133 total)
  • What is Britain's best SINGLETRACK descent??
  • buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"Slot cars" on the Mendip is smooth, twisty, tight fun.

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

linky of Cross Fell route. Have it on my ToDo list, wimped out on a solo last year. DJ has more info on routes over that way.

Cheers.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

This descent was a lot of fun on Dartmoor – some of the pics here look better but it was still very enjoyable:

lowey

stu

Yes please!! email in profile.

Ta muchly.

Andituk
    Free Member

When people say the end of cut gate, are we talking the path forking off that ends at the gate by North America, or straight on down to the woods?

D0NK

Cross fell, seem to remember tees head to blencarn being an awesome descent, was a while ago tho*. The loop round rake end was rubbish tho, one fo those proper "track becomes indistinct" moments ie bloody invisible, so next time either a push over the top of cross fell for a very short 9miler or do the boggies 30m route.

*was a weird day climbing through cloud and rain in the morning visibility down to a few metres, when that cleared the track dissappeared and we had a long push, we finally got to the downhill the sun came out and all was forgiven.

sangobegger
    Free Member

Looking down Strath Dionard.The bit you cant see, which is behind the camera person,is even better.Parts of the Arkle loop are nifty too.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Why no carn ban mor?

Best of anything I have done by a long way.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Torridon, descent to Annat. And the stuff I can do 5 mins from my door.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Buzz – where on the Mendips is that? I reckon I know most trails, but not by any particular names. Dont recognise your pick though?

Ambrose – cheers. Camping on the Gower in a few weeks so might check one of the routes out.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Buzz – hang on…. is that the trail down to Cross from the Vet's place east of Wavering Down?

elliptic
    Free Member

agentd – that's the one. There's a rut down the middle for long sections of it (hence the name). One of my favourites too.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

OK, definately the one not shown on the OS map in that case, not the cheeky one through Bourton Farm

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Sango and TandemJeremy – utterly stunning!

First pic (Sangos) reminds me of South Island NZ.

andywarner
    Free Member

rudland rigg into farndale, nym. no good in winter though.

Far
    Free Member

Thanks Ambrose – it was LLanddeusant direction I'd been looking at.

When you say a bit vague are we talking "the paths a bit feint in places but you'll be ok if you've got a sense of direction and the weather's good" or "you def need a GPS or a compass and the ability to take bearings in a pretty vague landscape to stand any chance of finding it."?

PikeBN14
    Free Member

bigsi – Member
    The Lion Trail but its VERY cheeky, the game keeper carries a shotgun so if you see him apologise and be on your way.

Starts off camber with rooty corners then goes flowey and fast but never more then 2ft wide with 1ft-1.5ft kickers all the way down it plus a nice log roll half way along before heading down through the trees along some twisty singletrack getting steeper as you go.

Always have a grin on my face at the end of it

Until you meet 3 motorbikes coming up the hill and you've got to try and stop your dog chasing them!! All of a sudden the Gamekeeper doesn't seem so bad!!

dot
    Free Member

bland – Member

Shooting cabins followed by Wormstones in the peaks is my current favourite

Where's Wormstones?

fizzer
    Free Member

Carn Ban Mor is the best in UK by far

ventanarider
    Free Member

If you can class the slabs from stanage as singletrack then that gets my vote as one of the best!

stuartm555
    Free Member

Not sure if CBM counts as singletrack – but it is fun 🙂

Jocks Road from Cairn Lunkard down to Glen Doll is one of my favourites – but getting there is painful!

druidh
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    Why no carn ban mor?

Previous page…..

freeridenick
    Free Member

Jocks road looks like proper singletrack to me 😛

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Saw it druidh – thought I had best mention it again.

Has anyone said how good Carn Ban Mor is?

martinxyz
    Free Member

i drove past coulags/torridon on the bike earlier this afternoon and further on i stopped to look back at the mountains. just stunning. sango, thats a nice pic. Arkle has got to be one of the most beautiful mountains in the country. the first time i saw it the sun was hitting it and my jaw hit the floor. luckily i had the slr at the time.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

For all those people who rave about how ace Scotland is, can you tell me a good circular route from Fort Bill that is doable by mortals in a day. No one else – in guide books or STW – has managed so far. Do you just keep them to yourselves? 😉

peakprowler
    Free Member

bland – Member
    Shooting cabins followed by Wormstones in the peaks is my current favourite

'Wormstones'??? wheres that then???

bland

Wormstones is on the glossop hayfield road, take the track opposite the charlesworth road and climb till you see the trig pt, go to that and descend glossop way, naking sure to keep in the track on the right and not the flat route over the moor.

Its a bridlepath, tue afternoon type

Ambrose

Far

To paraphrase:
    When I say a bit vague I'm talking "the sheeptracks are more than a bit faint in places but you'll be ok if you've got a very good sense of direction and the weather's really clear" otherwise "you most def need a GPS or a compass and the ability to take bearings in a very vague landscape to stand any chance of finding the way". If in doubt, stay high once past the rocky red stream crossing at SN 785 209 and then contour round to eventually drop down through the bogs to the stream at SN 802 197.

The vague bit is between Carreg yr Ogof and the Twrch. After that it is all smiles, huge ones 🙂

golfcurry
    Free Member

Alwinton – Cheviot hills, the route from Fairhaugh to Shillmoor for me is one of my favourites, otherwise Bowderdale gets my other vote.

kcr
    Free Member

can you tell me a good circular route from Fort Bill that is doable by mortals in a day

If you start a few miles north of Fort William at Spean Bridge, you can ride up the Great Glen track to Fort Augustus, head south over the Corrieyairack, hang a right at Melgarve and ride out via Glen Roy back to Spean Bridge.
    Big day out, but do-able. If you wanted a really big day out, I guess you could start on the Great Glen route from FW instead and finish via the Leanachan Forest trails!

freeridenick
    Free Member

Bowderdale is over rated in my book.
    If we are sticking to strictly "singletrack" then its a tricky one.
    Nan Bield ?

druidh
    Free Member

stilltortoise – Member
    For all those people who rave about how ace Scotland is, can you tell me a good circular route from Fort Bill that is doable by mortals in a day.

http://www.nofussevents.co.uk/event/Tour-de-Ben-Nevis/1049/#course

D0NK

Bland, think I got the route up wormstones but when you get up burnt hill I presume the moor track goes straight on and you need to swing a left to harry hut trig point? At what point do you need to keep right?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Jock's road looks good

huggis
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – another vote for Carn ban Mor…..

Also – Beinn a Bhuird which is mostly single track

funkyhooda
    Free Member

personally, a 2 mile (roughly) stretch of single track in Brechfa. It is not on the signposted trails, it is a section we started riding before the trails in Brechfa were done. Great descent 🙂 🙂 🙂
    Don't like the climb up afterwards though 🙁

mtbmarkymark
    Free Member

Dothie valley get's my vote

It's in the middle of nowhere
    It has a bitch of a climb to get to it
    It has a sod of a climb out.

on a sunny day in November though… 20 minutes of the best singletrack ever
    in a stunning secluded valley. I never tire of doing it.

Far
    Free Member

Ambrose – thanks for the info; I'll give it a shot when I get a free weekend and some nice weather.

In the spirit of contributing something other than questions my favourite singletrack in the UK is probably this:

Closer to home, Crug Mawr never fails to make me smile; especially if you start all the way from the top of Waun Fach

lowey

In the spirit of contributing something other than questions my favourite singletrack in the UK is probably this:

That being where ?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 133 total)

The topic ‘What is Britain's best SINGLETRACK descent??’ is closed to new replies.