Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • What hubs for 2015 26er riding?
  • willej

Happy (slightly early) new year all!

I’ve just pushed the button on a bargain pair of WTB KOM i-23 rims and was deliberating over what to lace them to.

I’ve already got a pair of Mavic XM321s on aging (2003 vintage) Hope XC and BULB hubs so I could just swap these new rims onto the faithful hubs or get some new hubs and build a new wheel set.

Which hubs to go for though? Hope Pro2 Evos, DT 240s, XTR, Kings or something else? I can’t really see there being anything better value than the Hopes.

What do you lot reckon, on this new years eve?

sillyoldman

DT 350s.
    Hope money, but way nicer quality.

Less convertible with regards to axle standards, but that’s the only downside.

rp16v
    Free Member

I went for a xc on the rear and pro 2 up front for change of forks if ever need be

willej

That’s why I got the BULB, it’s so easy to swap between 20mm and QR forks.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

If it was me (which I realise it isn’t) I’d be sticking to Hopes. I’m so pleased with all my Hope stuff (& the odd bit of service I’ve needed) that I really can’t be arsed to look anywhere else.

& not made by Fred, in Halifax either. 😉

Only my opinion.

willej

That’s been my thinking for a long time too, just been curious about other hubs recently.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Goldtec from BETD. Better than Hope and UK made 😉

willej

Which ones? Their website is a bit rubbish…

takisawa2

Hope have discontinued some spares for the XC, so that might be a consideration.
    Much as I dislike the noisy freehub, I’d go for a set of Pro2’s.

(I’d have to pack the aforementioned freehub with a nice thick grease though). 😕

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve already got a pair of Mavic XM321s on aging (2003 vintage) Hope XC and BULB hubs so I could just swap these new rims onto the faithful hubs or get some new hubs and build a new wheel set.

You’ve already got the best, most reliable hubs Hope ever made. The newer stuff isn’t as durable (weedy bearings mainly)
    So I’d suggest that if they suit you, pop some new SKF beings in them and maybe a set of pawls and springs and carry on using them.

Hope have discontinued some spares for the XC,

Bearings you can get anywhere

CRC have axles
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/hope-xc-rear-axle/rp-prod3281
    and Pawls
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/hope-pawls-springs/rp-prod481

That really is all you’re ever likely to need

(I’d have to pack the aforementioned freehub with a nice thick grease though).

Bad idea. It can stop the pawls engaging properly and can lead to premature wear/damage of the pawls and engagement ring

jimjam
    Free Member

I’ve seen several 10+ year old Chris King hubs brought back from the dead just by a clean and re grease. Bullet proof.

I just happen to be selling a rear and will take a bad price for it 😉

willej

Think I’m going to rebuild on my hubs, with new spokes. The current spokes are probably 8 or 9 years old and I fancy going back to silver spokes. Anyone seen any good deals on spokes?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Rose Bikes are usually cheapest for spokes

willej

Changed my mind and just bought a pair of DT 350s, as I now need to change my rear hub to 142×12. Got them for the very reasonable sum of £155, from bike-discount.de.

bigjim

I built up those very rims onto hope hubs and used ACI double butted spokes from cyclebasket. For whatever reason I preferred building with them to the DT comps I’d used on my previous build, can’t see the point in paying more than for the ACI ones.

tomd
    Free Member

CRC had good prices on DT Comp spokes before Christmas, worth checking them out. Couldn’t find any cheaper, including Rose and dike-discount.

willej

Ordered my spokes from JRA. Went for Sapim Race, for £0.42 each. Always used DT Competitions previously but heard good things about Sapim spokes. They don’t seem to be as well finished as DTs but they’re nearly half the price. Taken a bit of a risk, hope I’m not disappointed.

deadkenny
    Free Member

sillyoldman – Member
    DT 350s.

Less convertible with regards to axle standards, but that’s the only downside.

+1 on the 350s, especially if you like quiet hubs not angry bee style Hopes 😉

There are various options for converting standards, but some are more tricky than others and maybe not every option available. I think converting a front QR to 15mm is difficult / impossible, but they now do a kit to convert 15mm to QR.

Stevet1
    Free Member

I’ve just pushed the button on a bargain pair of WTB KOM i-23 rims
    Can I ask where from?

tomd
    Free Member

CRC had them, I got a set of 29ers before Christmas. very happy with how they built up and work very well tubeless.

willej

Yes, rims from CRC.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘What hubs for 2015 26er riding?’ is closed to new replies.