Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What have I done to my forks?
  • pocpoc
    Free Member

Help!
    SR Suntour Raidon forks on a 2016 Voodoo Bizango.
    Got the bike out of the car at Dalby yesterday. Went to ride off and noticed there was no bounce on the forks. They compress slowly to full compression then stay there. If I lift the wheel up by the bars then they slowly extend back up.
    The air pressure is still at 90 psi where I set it and the lockout still works at full extension.
    Money is tight at the moment so a full strip down service in a shop is out of the question.
    My current plan is to take the lowers off and clean and grease. Think it could be the stantions sticking in the lowers.
    If I just take the lowers off with the bike upside down am I going to lose any critical fluids? I can’t find much service info in the Raidons online.
    Got HTN in a couple of weeks so hoping to get it sorted before then 😐

benpinnick

Sounds like your rebound is borked. Have you checked if it has any effect?

smell_it
    Free Member

Dunno what you have done, but I used this guide to service my nephew’s Raidon fork. Further down there is a link to YouTube video with very suspenseful music and PDF of fork manual. Used together, with a couple of cheeky fine ale’s, I got it sorted.

nairnster
    Free Member

Have you tried letting all the air out, and cycling them, then inflating again.

Gotta be worth a try.

kayla1
    Free Member

There’s no oil in the lowers, just grease. Mine went a little bit sticky so I took the lowers off and cleaned and re-greased them and they were fine again. I ended up buying some 32mm foam rings for Rockshox forks and putting them under the dust seals and sticking a few cc of 10w/40 oil in each leg which made a load of (positive!) difference to how they worked. They come apart the same as Epicons if that helps- just let the air out, unscrew the doofers at the bottom of each fork leg and tap the bits that are sticking out of the fork lower with a soft hammer and the lowers just slide off the stanchions. It’s a 15 minute job to clean and grease them 😀

pocpoc
    Free Member

Brilliant, thanks guys.
    I’ll give that a try tomorrow when I get chance

pocpoc
    Free Member

Right, clean and regrease done. Problem fixed and much better!

kayla1 – is it right that there is not foam ring in the lowers as standard?
    The videos on the Suntour site say to remove the foam rings and soak them in oil, however there weren’t any to remove! There is a plastic wiper further down the leg but this isn’t removable.
    Thinking I might get some foam rings and convert them from grease to oil as other forums have done and had positive improvements.
    Is there somewhere I can get just some 32mm foam rings from without having to buy some Rockshox dust seals as well? Seems daft to pay for something I don’t need.

EDIT: Image of said dust seal assembly with no foam ring:

EDIT 2: Found some Rockshox Reba/Pike yellow ones for £3 on ebay inc postage. Bargain!

kayla1
    Free Member

Sorry if you’ve already done this!

I bought a bag or 20 for £10 or so off ebay. I had a few sets to do!

pocpoc
    Free Member

Update time.
    All done, grease removed and replaced with 15ml oil in each leg.
    The Reba/Pike foam rings are now in place after a bit of trimming – the outer diameter was too big for the recess in the forks but a quick run around the outside with a pair of sharp scissors soon sorted that.
    Forks feel much smoother and more responsive now. They’ll get their first proper run out at HTN on Saturday.

philjunior
    Free Member

Good luck, I maybe should’ve done this with a pair I had, but I sold them on and used some overtime money to buy a different set of forks (which I like, but that’s maybe not the point!

With just grease in they’re not the most sensitive, and need the lowers removing quite frequently to keep them working/keep the muck out.

wombat

Bookmarked for later

bruceandhisbonus
    Free Member

Thread resurrection…I have a voodoo bizango (2016 I think…the yellow one) and the forks are a bit unresponsive now. I want to the do the quick update of adding oil to the forks to replace the grease as this seems to have helped everyone who has done it in the various threads I have read.

What foam rings do I need. Something like these? 32 x 5mm or 32 x 10mm?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RockShox-Seals-Foam-Rings-Washers-28mm-35mm-Forks-Pike-14-Recon-Reba-/151990871963

Also, the link with the video states not for air forks.

If your fork has aluminium stanchions and/or uses air as a spring medium, this isn’t for you

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>The forks on the bizango are air forks. Do I just ignore this and carry on?</span>

https://www.mbr.co.uk/mountain-bike-videos/workshop/how-to-revamp-your-budget-suntour-fork-video-317009

Appreciate any help to make this an easy mod for a fork servicing novice to complete.

pocpoc
    Free Member

I think I bought the yellow ones (32×3.5) from that same listing. I had to trim down the outer diameter to fit them in, and once I had done that they were incredible floppy and a right faff to get to stay in place.
    If I was to get some more I would probably got for the 32×5 foam ring only option (£6.99?). I think the 10mm ones would be too tall for the recess, but if you cut them in half height-wise then you get two sets of 5mm for the price of one!

EDIT: As for the video –  i think most of the steps are the same. BUT make sure that you let the air out of the fork before you undo the bottom bolts. Otherwise you will probably end up in either the hospital, dead, or in the toilets changing your pants because you nearly just died!!

bruceandhisbonus
    Free Member

Thanks pocpoc. I’ll order some foam rings and give this a go.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘What have I done to my forks?’ is closed to new replies.