Viewing 13 posts - 81 through 93 (of 93 total)
  • What has happened to compassion
  • kona_uk
    Free Member

A bit soppy, but who cares………as I stated in a previous message on this forum debate….we had a rescue kitten….

A few days after he was on the road to recovery, he then just disappeared, we spent the whole day looking for him and it was causing us distress.

Then came the evening and we just had to face the fact that he had gone and it was upsetting…………but……….

That night I had a splitting headache and decided to go and lie down for a couple of hours………..to my amazment I heard a scratching in the room (we did have a mouse problem, this would eventually be a job for the kitten).

The little bugger had only climbed into the big drawer under the bed (opened in the morning to change bed sheets) and been sleeping there all day………it was such a relief…

mt
    Free Member

Absolutely f..king brilliant

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I think this would be overkill to say the least.

or rather underkill ?

coffeeking
    Free Member

As a cat lover and someone who’d probably rather give to animal charities than human charities (theres a can ‘o’ worms for you!) I can honestly say the original person may not have realised they hit the cat and depending on the mess and flatness of the result it may not have been obvious to other drivers at night what the cat was, especially on a fast road. Would I try to avoid a dead animal in the road – I always do, regardless of animal, but would I swerve to avoid it if it was in my path and I realised at the last minute what it was – nope. Sorry for your loss, but really this is someting you think to yourself and mutter about while grieving the loss, not something you write to the local paper about. That’s not a lack of compassion, that’s just getting on with daily life. If someone had put the cat on the pavement and kids had come along and pulled it apart and peed on it THAT would be lack of compassion (and not beyond some of the locals back near where I used to live).

I hit a cat while driving a rangerover once (thats bound to stir up anger from several camps!) – saw it a good 25ft ahead. Stood on teh brakes, locked all 4 wheels and slide at about 20 degrees to the direction of travel. Hit the kitty with the front left wheel, he bounced out at a rate of knots and sprinted, then turned around and came back for a stroke. I sat with him for half an hour checking for injuries but he amazingly seemed fine.

I once saw a cat hit by the car in front of me, I slammed on and as I came to a halt I saw the poor little thing with a chunk of skull missing and brain clearly on display, yelling at the sky. I reversed and positioned myself for a hopefully fatal blow but by that time the poor little sod was dead, but the image haunted me for years.

crikey
    Free Member

Jesus wept, is this still going on? 🙄

MrNutt
    Free Member

Have you ever heard the noise that cows make when their calves are taken away? Compassion is not really a modern consideration, personal empathy has since been discarded and replaced by episodes of media announced “periods of communal mourning”.

I believe the best council sanctioned and publicly recognized method of dealing with a situation like this is to build a small shrine? perhaps you could tie its favorite toy, a bunch of flowers, an england flag or a “ghost bowl” to a nearby piece of street furniture?

otherwise you could bury the poor little bugger in your garden, have a private moment with your family and then set about moving on with your lives?

(apologies if that comes across as callous, insensitive or horrid, my back aches and I’ve got the arse, no offense intended, pressure washer. sorry. I can’t help myself. I also take milk in my tea. shit there I go again. sorry.)

stumpy01

I think I am almost too compassionate when it comes to little critters.

I do think though that there are some locations where having a cat is not a good idea due to the amount of traffic around. Perhaps the OP is in one of those locations and should consider whether another cat is sensible or not.

A friend of mine used to live on a busy main road and had 1 cat that lived to a ripe old age. Whether it was lazy or intelligent, I don’t know. His family got two kittens that both got run over when they got to about 1yr old. His little sister whinged until they got another couple of kittens. Same thing happened with those two, so no more kittens. The old cat was still alive after all the kittens had been squished. I think it was extra-intelligent – or was pushing the other cats into the road out of jealousy!? 😉

Driving on a country road a while ago, I came over the brow of a hill in a village to find an animal writhing in the road – it turned out to be a ginger & white cat, but on first glance almost looked like a fox. It had obviously been hit by a car and as it flailed around, there was blood shooting everywhere. I pulled over before i got to it and legged it to the nearest house. The bloke who answered eyed me with definite suspicion as if I was up to something and said he didn’t know anyone who owned a ginger cat. I tried the neighbour, and they didn’t either. At this point I returned to the cat and it had died. I was just about to go to the boot to find something to move it with (it was completely covered in blood and I was not entirely happy about getting my car/self covered in it) when a car pulled up and the bloke who hopped out happened to be a vet. He went straight over the to the cat, checked it was done for and then picked it up and carried it to the edge of the road. I am glad he came along tobe honest; I wasn’t relishing the task!
    I think when I first saw it writhing around in the middle of the road it was already dead, but was going through it’s death throes or something, but it still shook me up for ages.

We have a cat that we got from a rescue home and she’s a little 5h1t to be honest, but I would be gutted if she were to come to a sticky end.

avdave2

Not pleasant stumpy but wouldn’t the best thing to have done to be to drive over it again.
    My wife’s uncle once decapitated a cat while cycling, it ran out and went head first into the rear wheel.He was doing a fair speed at the time and it made a real mess. It still disturbs him now and this happened over 20 years ago.

Poindexter
    Free Member

I once ran over a kitten in a Deutz Fahr tractor (I was driving the tractor, not the kitten).

I didn’t realise I’d done it, I had a Saturday job on a farm and I’d just got in the tractor and pulled forward when the farmer’s wife – an elderly lady of about 80 – came running out shouting at me that I’d just rolled over this thing.

I rolled back, and this kitten was completely unscathed. It’s had fitted just between the treads of the rear tire!

The old girl ran back in the house, grabbed a 12 bore and shot it! They had quite a problem with wild cats.

IdleJon

Assume for a second that a compassionate person had scraped up the dead cat he’d just hit and managed to find the owner. (And correct me if I’m wrong but cats tend to stray a little further than the end of the garden so this may take a little while.)

The grateful owner would obviously offer to pay for the car to be washed and valeted, the drivers clothes to be drycleaned, and for any slight damage to the bumpers to be rectified, and of course a little offering to pay for time wasted chasing around for an absent owner.

I am right in assuming that ths would happen?

plop_pants
    Free Member

I will stop and pick up a worm if i see one crossing a road or path and place it back in the verge. No relevance to this thread really, except my wife worries if i do this and get hit by a car the worm might not make it either.

stumpy01

When doing the Twentyfour12 last yr I camped myself under one of the big floodlights alongside the road by the camping area in a desparate bid to find out why my ability to select gears had gone to pot.
    I was sat there with muc off/water/tools/cloths cleaning away and saw this huge black stag beetle making his way across the path. There were lots of weary people wandering/cycling along this path (it was about 1am) and I was convinced this beetle wasn’t going to make it without being squished.
    I think the tiredness was playing tricks on me and I was convinced I had to help this beetle so I picked it up and carried it over to the other side of the path, where I let it carry on it’s way.

It was just part of the Twentyfour12 cameraderie – 🙂

I then discovered I had kinked a link in my chain to about a 45deg angle in the direction of chain travel so the chain was in all sorts of trouble as it went round the drive train. I did it about 10 mins into the first of 2 laps (just before the steep road climb for those that did it too) and it had survived two laps in this state.

waffling now………………..dinner time.

NZCol

I ran a penguin over a couple of years back, little thing hopped up onto the road in front of me and i didn;t have a chance to get out of its way. I took it home and buried it in the garden after i’d photogrpahed it cos that whats you have to do here (blue penguins). I also hit one in a kayak quite recently and it was a bit p1ssed off and tried to eat the boat ! It was its own fault for surfing down the waves and not watching what was coming the other way !

Viewing 13 posts - 81 through 93 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘What has happened to compassion’ is closed to new replies.