Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • What Hardtail frame @ £350ish???
  • tacopowell
    Free Member

Looking to keep things simple (Not interested in 29ers!), A Steel Hardtail frame, will be using 120mm Rebas with crest/hope pro2’s and XT groupset.

My frames I’ve already established so far

http://www.bikescene.co.uk/Orange-P7-Frame-4320-0-0.html

http://www.ukbikesdepot.com/m90b5s717p5233/SARACEN_Kili_Flyer_Cro-Mo_Mens_Mountain_Bike_Frame_2011-_White/RS_GB/14400

http://www.realcycles.com/m24b145s27p3140/2011_GENESIS_Lattitude_853_Frame_2011/RS_GB/7472

Any other options at this price?

Anyone have experience with these frames?

colournoise

What type of riding?

slainte ❓ rob

Gary_C

A Dialled Bikes Prince Albert ?

tacopowell
    Free Member

Trail centre, from Wales, Nant yr Arian, Climach-X, Coed y Brenin all the way to Sherwood Pines, Cannock Chase to Peak District…

tacopowell
    Free Member

A Dialled Bikes Prince Albert ?

http://www.realcycles.com/m24b145s27p3140/2011_GENESIS_Lattitude_853_Frame_2011/RS_GB/7472

mmmmmm…..Maybe so, I like the price, You ride this bike? Any good?

monkeychild
    Free Member
    colournoise

http://www.cotic.co.uk/product/BFe

But then I was bound to suggest that.

slainte 😀 rob

rj
    Free Member

Cove Handjob from CRC. Massively underrated frame, slacker than a Slackline, same weight as a Soul and great fun with 120mm forks.

tacopowell
    Free Member

On-One Carbon

😯

If its as bomb proof as they say…..

tacopowell
    Free Member

mmmmmm…..Maybe so, I like the price, You ride this bike? Any good?

POSTED 23 MINUTES AGO #

Wrong link…http://www.dialledbikes.com/products/mtb/prince-albert.php

frank4short
    Free Member

If you know anyone heading to the states this is an exceptional deal on a santa cruz chameleon http://www.competitivecyclist.com/frame/2012-Santa-Cruz-chameleon-5156.html

dantsw13

I’ve a C456 as my HT option. Fit a Talas to it and 3 bikes in 1!! Frame only weighs 1.5kg.

And it only cost £300 new!!

Northwind

On One Carbon. No it’s not steel, but it rides more like people think steel bikes should ride than many steel bikes (456 included) and of course weighs much less.

Does look horrible obviously.

timc
    Free Member

Genesis Latitude 853

jasonm945
    Free Member

You should be able to find a deal on a Sanderson Life at that price which is an excellent all day bike, Orange R8 might be a stretch but worth a look.
    Alternatively the pipedream Scion gets good reviews!

I’d go with the Kili at the price though!!!

Jay

Leku
    Free Member

I’m in the process of replacing my stolen Soul (insert joke here) with the Kili. If the chainring arrives today I’ll be building it up tonight.

Is feels of very similar weight to the Soul and is very well finished.

If they did a black non-logoed 456c I would got one of those, but the bright yellow was too much for me.

chakaping
    Free Member

Is the Kili the filet brazed 853 version?

If so, I would find it very difficult to resist (having owned a filet brazed Kili BITD).

mooose
    Free Member

If you want a Soul at a good price 🙂 give me a shout.

Cheezpleez

I have a C456. It’s bombproof, light, comfy, versatile, cheap and I actually like the look of mine (stealth black). Personally, I’d find it hard to justify spending more on an all-round steel frame for any reason other than looks, which is of course a perfectly valid reason

Leku
    Free Member

yep. fillet brazed loveliness…

Spaceman
    Free Member

I have a Prince Albert having previously had a Cove Hanjob (which I snapped). I would never describe the Handjob as slack angled as someone did above,and while it’s a good bike the PA knocks spots off it in every way, I could immediately rattle down rough steep stuff far quicker than I ever dared on the Handjob.
    PA is about half the price as well last time I looked.

The PA deals with 7stanes trails, Inners DH and stupid steep Caberston and Enduro trails with no dramas, I don’t think any other hardtail could make me faster on those trails.

A friend has a BFe which seems to have put him off riding, it seems over built for normal trail riding so is heavier than it needs to be and really needs a 140mm fork to get the angles right. (wouldn’t work with your 120mm fork IMO)

binners

I feel I’m getting repetitive about singing it’s praises, but having bought an Orange P7 a few months back, I absolutely love it. I’ve owned a good few hardtails, steel and alloy, over the years, and I think this has eclipsed even my Chameleon as the best all rounder hardtail frame! It’s the perfect do it all bike. I’m running 130 forks on it and it’s perfect!

Couldn’t recommend it highly enough!

rj
    Free Member

The Handjob has a 67 degree had angle with a 130 fork, so relatively slack for a hardtail.

PJay
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at the Kili Flyer (although I’m not in the market for a frame yet); it looks lovely and is a great price but I’m a bit of a numpty when it comes to brazing but am I right in thinking that brazed joints tend to be a bit weaker than welds? Also, is there any point in brazing 853 when it’s selling point is that it’s air hardening and strengthens when welded?

As a happy Pipedream Sirius owner I’d say that the Scion is probably worth a look.

chiefgrooveguru

A friend has a BFe which seems to have put him off riding, it seems over built for normal trail riding so is heavier than it needs to be and really needs a 140mm fork to get the angles right. (wouldn’t work with your 120mm fork IMO)

The BFe is lighter than a P7 and the same as a 456 (and similar to a PA) and has identical geometry to the Soul, for which 120mm forks are most popular but 100mm nice if you like it sharper or 140mm nice if you like it stabler.

colournoise

Spaceman – Member

I know it’s all horses for courses, but I found the opposite. Was riding an Identiti Mr Hyde built as (for want of a better label) an AM hardtail. It was fine but the back end was VERY harsh (big fat square section alu girders) and my benchmark for this type of bike has always been my old 2001 Trailstar. With DMR not having a current Trailstar I went for the BFe as a modern parallel. Yes it’s a bit overbuilt but with tough components mine comes in at around 29lb which I find fine for longer rides too. Rides great and I don’t ever feel in any danger of breaking it regardless of what I try to ride.

I run mine with 150mm forks but a lot of BFe riders on here say it handles best with 120mm/130mm forks (based as it is on the Soul geometry).

Unless you’re a very light, finesse type rider I definitely would recommend the BFe as an all-rounder, especially now the new version has a 44mm head tube and replaceable gear hanger.

slainte 8) rob

Spaceman
    Free Member

Sorry but compared to my Prince Albert my friend’s BFe feels like a tank. It does have heavier finishing kit I suppose but feels sluggish and unresponsive in comparison.

My handjob was a 2008 one which was definitely steeper than the PA, I guess the newer Handjobs may have different angles in which case I can’t really comment.

Another friend has a P7 and it is a good bike as well, up there with the PA, I just don’t think the BFe compares.

_tom_
    Free Member

I wouldn’t recommend a BFe for this at all. It’s heavy and feels a bit dead. Would’ve thought something like the P7 or a Soul would be way better suited.

chakaping
    Free Member

I think the OP has got it right with the Kili or Genesis – or maybe a c456.

chiefgrooveguru

From Mike @ Dialled: “The current earlier 520 and 853 Prince Alberts will be similar in weight to a BFE, but the newer 725 will be marginally lighter.
    The forthcoming Prince Albert Classic (new 853 frame) due this summer will be slightly lighter still”

I’d be amazed if the difference you feel isn’t predominantly down to the slacker head angle of the BFe with longer forks and the heavier finishing kit. A P7 is over a pound heavier at almost 7lbs! At that price though I’d be very tempted by the Kili.

Thanks for all the Prince Albert recommendations, which is quite timely as I’ve just put the last of the Reynolds 725 Prince Alberts on our clearance website: http://www.dialledbikes.bigcartel.com

mieszko
    Free Member

I’ve got a 853 Altitude and it’s a great frame. My first steel frame, had some light-ish aluminium frames before: Giant XTC, Maxlight, Sunn something or other and the Genesis with u-turn Revs on the front is a very versatile bike. I’m proper shit on the bike, yet somehow the frame geometry and probably Revs on the front give me much more confidence when riding. It’s not the lightest but with reasonable finishing kit and mostly xt/x.9, the bike weights 12.6kg so something around 27.5lbs, not light, as my Top Fuel used to weight slightly less but it does not feel slow. You have light wheels to put on the frame so the bike should feel quicker. I never tried other frames so can’t comment, but the Genesis gets good reviews and I’m certainly more then happy with mine. Set the fork at 100mm and it’s a good xc bike, put it at 120-130mm and it’s a perfect trail hardtail. I did couple marathons on it, forks set at 120mm, climbs very well and I never felt beat up after a 3-4 hour ride, unlike on an aluminium frame. There was always something I did not like in frames I had before, however with this frame I don’t feel the need to change anything as it feels just right.

chiefgrooveguru

Broken link Mike! Bargains here: Prince Albert 725 clearance

Leku
    Free Member

[/url]
    IMG_0452 by jh_buchanan, on Flickr[/img]

[/url]
    IMG_0451 by jh_buchanan, on Flickr[/img]

HantsNightRider
    Free Member

Loving my Dialled PA (725 version)
    Great handling bike, best with 120 forks than 140 IMO
    Good quality, hard wearing paint finish

I run mine with 120 forks and crest hoops

tacopowell
    Free Member

The choice is making my head feel tight, I think I might implode!

However, the price of the Albert is far too tempting…..

Butttttt……

The Kili looks soooooo Good!

ARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!

😯 ❓ 😐 ❓ 😥 ❓

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I have a Soul (setup light for all day stuff) and a BFe (setup burly for shorter, rougher stuff) and both are lovely but the Bfe is my favourite frame I’ve ever had, I just think it’s ace.

grahamt1980

The PA is awesome, I am waiting for my new 853 frame to land in july.
    Nothing wrong with the current 520 version at all, however I wanted a red one.

jonnyrockymountain

Does anyone know weight of 17″ prince Albert frame?

dabble
    Free Member

17″ or 15.5″ Dialled PA for a 5′ 9″ lad? The price is right, not sure if 17″ will be a little too big. I’d rather run a longer seat post than have a 17″ frame, can anyone think of any problems i might have doing this i.e. over stressing the tubes??

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘What Hardtail frame @ £350ish???’ is closed to new replies.