Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What happened to Crud Claws?
  • audiophile
    Free Member

Been doing other stuff for about the past 15 years and got really uninformed about bike stuff. Crud used to make a device called the Crud Claw that fitted to the rear axle that scraped all manner of crap out of your cassette, a really simple and useful device. Where did they go? I assume that different axle/cassette sizes forced their demise. Anybody know when and why they disappeared.

Wally

I have a set still!
    Join the old and should know better club audiophile.
    ( I also had a bullet Bros tensioner – sucker for a gadget)
    7 and 8 speed combs and thats was it.

audiophile
    Free Member

Happy and proud to be a member of the club Wally. Have you noticed that purple anodising is making a comeback. It was considered a crime back in the day. Must start a retro thread for all these long lamented gadgets. Just to get started, Flex Stems, Hite Rites and Shark Fins.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Think they stopped making Crud Claws when cassettes started to get perforated and/or on spiders so the crud had soemwhere to go.

Come on DCD!

audiophile
    Free Member

Nice one, found one of those in my parts bin when looking for tools when the new bike arrived. Also found a headset spanner ( inch and inch and an eighth ), a 14mm crank bolt tool, crank remover and fixed and adjustable cup spanners. I should probably mount them in a case and take them down the antiques roadshow. Can you still buy Spokey Dokeys?

nuke

Think I broke the comb part of the crud claw on about the third ride after I'd fitted it…shame.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Spokey Dokes. Apparantly you can still buy them!

http://www.bestbikeaccessories.com/product_detail.php?id=62

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Haha, I have a Bullet Bros. chain tensioner on the dashboard of my van as I type. I mate of mine borrowed it for a downhill race back in the day and gave it back to me the other week, after 13 years!

duckers
    Free Member

Mr Crud himself is a member on here, but not seen him for a while, he'll tell you.

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

What happened? 9speed thats what! No room between the cogs for air much less claws or mud 🙂

Northwind

There's an answer to this on the crud website… Basically, cassettes got better, no need for the product any more.

Wally

I am running a cheap as chips 7 speed on a mud bike. I will put the Claw on! Thanks for the reminder.

coatesy
    Free Member

Threw mine away when I realised the knurling on the QR is there for a good reason, putting a smooth strip of ally between it and the frame was allowing the wheel to move in the dropout no matter how tight it was.

grizzer
    Free Member

Still got one in purple, use'd to look great on my old Kili Comp,matched the colour of the decal's and bar end's!

forgotmename
    Free Member

Shimano did a similar item but much smaller, tho i cant remember what it was called.
    Useless info i suppose.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What happened to Crud Claws?’ is closed to new replies.