Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 149 total)
  • what gun for mtbing?
  • kimbers

I posted this up on the thread about that daft george clooney film

but I think its worthy of its own one just to make us all greatfull we live in a relatively sane country

http://forums.mtbr.com/general-discussion/does-anyone-conceal-carry-when-they-ride-893840.html

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Minimi, every time

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

.460 Backpack Cannon, of course.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Good God, what a ****ed up country!

Northwind

I used to post on svrider, a US motorbike forum and it was a popular theme there. And all I could think was 1) If I fall off my bike I don’t want to land on a big lump of steel and 2) How the **** do you even draw a gun on a motorbike, in leathers and gloves, let alone shoot it? By the time you get it out, you could be quarter of a mile away doing 100mph. But they were not convinced, even when one of the guys fell on his 1911 and shattered his pelvis. Oh and another one carried one around in his tankbag and got it stolen when he went to the shops, his response was “I should get another gun” not “I shouldn’t leave loaded guns lying around”. As yet none of them is ever to actually try and use it, thank god, as they’d get instantly killed to bits by some dude who is prepared to use his weapon, and already has it in his hand.

So anyway, bikes. Even more likely to crash on it. Less likely to want to use it. Not to mention all that weight!1!onE. And picture the scene, you’re riding up an orrible climb, someone jumps out to rob you, you try and draw your equaliser (sorry, equalizer) while wearing your riding gloves and breathing out of your arse… Chances are you fall over and shoot yourself saving your robber a bullet.

Finally, bears. Shooting bears with a pistol is a ****ing terrible idea, the chances of killing one quickly are very small but the chances of really pissing it off majorly are very high. Bearspray works though.

Harry_the_Spider

Note the lack of helmets. Talk about dangerous and irresponsible. 🙄

kimbers

^^^ hes got his wheel reflectors on though

safety first

antigee

you could always ask a police officer

but then again they might be a bit confused about the rules – a camelbak on a road ride? – probably got the wrong gun

endurogangster
    Free Member

Exactly what you need when coming across a slower rider strava blocking you!

steezysix
    Free Member

How the **** do you even draw a gun on a motorbike, in leathers and gloves, let alone shoot it? By the time you get it out, you could be quarter of a mile away doing 100mph.

You’re obviously not a Sons of Anarchy fan…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yup, I’ve seen T2 and it looks pretty easy.

hatter

Don’t get me started, I married a septic and as a result have acquired a bunch of particularly rootin’ tootin’ in-laws.

One of them keeps a small arsenal dotted around the house, loaded AK-47 in the wardrobe, .45 Sig Sauer under the sink etc etc.

He once, beeming with pride, went to open one of his hidey holes under the bed saying that he was going to show me “the weapon that won WWII” he was a bit put out that my immediate reaction was “bloody hell, you’ve got a Lancaster bomber under there!?”

willard

When I was riding in Colorado a few years ago I saw a few of the hikers carrying pistols when they were halfway up mountains, but this was primarily for defence against rampant bears or something. I’m not sure I’d want the extra weight of a loaded hand cannon in that thin air, but if they were happy to…

If someone told me I had to carry whilst mountain biking, or if there was a genuine reason (militant, rabid honey badgers or something), then I’d probably go for a cheap, reliable pistol. Something that was not too heavy and I wouldn’t cry about when I fell off and it got filthy. I’d also want something that had a drop safety, so probably something like a Glock.

Note the lack of helmets

Actually, that guy is wearing a bowler, which started as a form of protective headgear!

joolsburger
    Free Member

I’d go for a Glock 27 it’s apparently very compact and ideal for being mad in the woods.

GrahamS

this was primarily for defence against ending yourself if being eaten alive by rampant bears or something.

FTFY.

Northwind

hatter – Member

he was a bit put out that my immediate reaction was “bloody hell, you’ve got a Lancaster bomber under there!?”

Yeah, he’d read Max Hastings’ book and disputed the effectiveness of area bombing.

grum
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ticks all the niches

This is more for the Ted Nugent in your life, though;

GrahamS

Well that is awesome grum. Movie? I’m guessing some relation to Desperado given Danny Trejo and the throwing knives?

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Yup, I’ve seen T2 and it looks pretty easy.

I’m not sure a T800 would be good on a mountain bike though.

What tyres for time-travelling robot assassinations?

kimbers

grahamS, looks like Machete Kills to me

isnt a terminator really heavy, would need firm springs in the suspension

grum
    Free Member

Well that is awesome grum. Movie? I’m guessing some relation to Desperado given Danny Trejo and the throwing knives?

Can’t believe you’ve never seen Machete! Think Machete Kills is the sequel that’s not out yet.

fasthaggis

pre ride warm up

GrahamS

Can’t believe you’ve never seen Machete!

Wow, that looks bad.

*adds to watch list*

torsoinalake
    Free Member

This thread has reminded me of this geezer:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enzlTEysYVU[/video]

“When you are out walking the dog”. Where the **** does he walk his dog? Helmand Province?

willard

Based on numbers, I’d say that large parts of the US are worse than Helmand.

That does come with a handy torch though.

jeffm
    Free Member

“When it gets nasty, you get down to business”…… I think I’m going to have to start using that line

outspoken
    Free Member

Well the 14″ Barrel does make it easy to stow away in the back pack…..

cookeaa

Christ I’m glad I live in the UK.

Northwind

IIRC in the states you’re about 4 times more likely to be killed in a robbery if you’re armed…

somouk
    Free Member

Glock would be my choice. I know some of the guys who tested them before the recent adoption by UK forces and they’re near indestructible, accurate to good distances and you can always get accessories like big clips if you find yourself in a really rough part of the woods.

wiggles
    Free Member

I know I posted in the other thread but…

They really are nutjobs, when a law to increase the security checks done on people buying guns can’t even be passed it means they are all doomed

Freester

Walther PPK. Or Magnum 44. ‘Coz they’re the only 2 I’ve heard of from films.

shermer75
    Free Member

“When it gets nasty, you get down to business”

You look pretty nasty, can I shoot you?

5thElefant
    Free Member

You look pretty nasty, can I shoot you?

Only in Florida and Texas.

hatter

Yeah, he’d read Max Hastings’ book and disputed the effectiveness of area bombing.

Granted, historically speaking I should have asked if he had a Soviet T-34 under there but from ‘from the hip’ I was pretty pleased with myself.

It was actually an M1 carbine for the record.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Not an M1 rifle?

hot_fiat

That MTBR forum threads really doesn’t surprise me. My immediate team members consist of 1 Canadian and 7 Americans. The Canadian & I just can’t get our heads around how totally and utterly obsessed the Americans are with their freedom-defending weaponry. Two of the guys sleep with loaded guns in their bedside cabinets, both have small children in their houses which is apparently ok, but none of them them are allowed to visit Cuba as that would be irresponsible. As a nation, they scare the crap out of me.

TiRed

A few years ago there was a serious thread on “what are you packing” on the Tandem@Hobbes tandem list. I don’t know who were more incredulous, the Cailfornians or the Europeans.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 149 total)

The topic ‘what gun for mtbing?’ is closed to new replies.