Home Forums Chat Forum What dog thread?

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • What dog thread?
  • thehustler
    Free Member

Springer, can run all day, and can be housed outside if needed only draw back with your hours they need alot of exercise

anagallis_arvensis

20 mile + bike ride?! Either you are all really slow and I mean really really slow and live in places where 20mile rides are possible or your dogs are superdogs. I dont think any dog fits your bill.

xiphon
    Free Member

ha ha sorry, I didn’t mean 20 mile ride. Got my wires crossed! No idea why I wrote that…

All day walks would be the longest distance….

Out of curiosity, how far to people ride with their ‘trail’ dogs?

(As you can see, I know very little about them – but we all start off with little knowledge…)

scruff
    Free Member

I’ll be the first to say that leaving a dog from 7.30am til 6pm every working day isnt fair on the dog.

scruff
    Free Member

oh, and my Dalmation used to run 20mile easy if weather wasnt hot, hes getting older now so I keep the miles down.

xiphon
    Free Member

scruff – I accept that is an issue, but surely it’s not uncommon?

How many people have dogs, who work during the week (also taking into consideration time for commuting) ?

Ladders
    Free Member

Would a labrador be up to being a trail dog?

We used to have one and it liked walking, but so sure about running that much!

jam-bo

BUT…. we’re out of the house from 7.30am til 6pm (both work)

Anybody recommend a dog that might fit our needs?

someone elses that you can borrow on the weekend.

john690
    Free Member

My lab comes out to the peak for all day rides & absolutely loves it also myself & the wife work all day so it always needs a walk in the evening rain or shine

anagallis_arvensis

How many people have dogs, who work during the week (also taking into consideration time for commuting) ?

Sometimes our dog gets left from 7.30 till about 5.30, twice a week from about 9.30-5.30. She gets a walk in the am and pm and spends time alone in the back yard with a kennel, rest of time in the house sleeping.

MrsToast
    Free Member

T’husband and I both work full time, but as it’s a 5-10 minute bike ride into work we go back home at lunch and fuss the pup (not a euphemism).

xiphon
    Free Member

The dog would have a run/walk each morning, and again upon returning home later in the day.

We both commute by bike (40mins each way for both), so we’re used to whatever weather gets thrown at us!

Lab sounds an interesting breed…

flowerpower
    Free Member

Our Kelpie (Australian Collie x dingo) will manage 30km+ rides, but they need to be carefully planned… short road sections(if any), taking it steady down hill, avoiding areas during lambing (she will run by the bike on a lead, but it is a pain riding one handed on anything rough) etc.

She is also left at home from 8am to 6pm. It isn’t ideal, but can be managed. She has a run and kennel outside which she is left in during the day, she is left with sticks / branches to chew and drag around, half her food in a bowl – the other half hidden in toys or in the grass, toys (which are rotated on a daily basis). In addition I try to take her to work with me when possible (twice a week), and the MIL is at our house for two half days… so in reality she is only alone two or three days. You can also find ‘doggy daycare’ centres which (near us) charge £10 a day to let them run around with other dogs in a large outdoor enclosure.

However it is a commitment. She gets two x 45min – 1 hour walks a day, which we vary from walking, frisbee throwing and bike running, she then gets another 20min late eve walk. We do dog training twice a week (to keep her thinking) and one of these sessions includes some agility. I don’t feel that it is fair to leave her alone in the evening or at weekends if she is alone during the week, so nights out or at the cinema during the week are out.

However we have an amazing dog, full of energy, fun and character. She is clever enough to work escape routes out for herself – not great in the garden, but a godsend when out on the bike. She is great with my OH’s kids – 9 and 7, as soft as a soft thing with any children, although she can equally play rough with the adults.

It is possible to have a great trail dog as a pet, but it does take some time and patience.

scruff
    Free Member

I go home at lunch to let mine out if the wifes out aswell. An older dog who can still control their bowels may be OK, but a pup will just tear your house apart and get destructive habits or annoy the neighbours if left outside. My neighbours leave theirs with back door open and they trash the hosue, annoy the neighbours and often escape.

xiphon
    Free Member

flowerpower – firstly, beautiful dog! secondly, sounds very similar to what we would be like.

I accept they take commitment (only ever had cats in the family) – remembering “I’m not our here walking/running/cycling at 6.30am for myself – it’s for the dog which I have a responsibility towards”

rkk01
    Free Member

Another vote for Cocker Spaniel…

This one is mad, but lovely. Never seen a spaniel with as much speed or energy!

flowerpower
    Free Member

“I’m not out here walking/running/cycling at 6.30am for myself – it’s for the dog which I have a responsibility towards”

Exactly! We are up at 6am and take it in turns to walk the dog or commute to work by bike. We each have an 18mile commute, so the car / train user gets home first to do the evening walk. It can work as long as you work out a system. Puppy hood can be difficult. I managed to come home every lunch time, and also took some time off work when she was older to settle her outside (leaving her a few hours at a time), but it is worth it :-) We didn’t get Copper until she was 5 months old, which I think helped. I’m not sure how you would manage the first 6 months if you had a really wee pup.

This is how she appears to spend most of her time when we are out…

anagallis_arvensis

Lovely dog that Kelpie, but like a collie they are far from ideal first time owners dogs. Saw a couple being dragged around the park by their collie yesterday. Its a bit younger than my lurcher, I’ll never forget when theirs was about 4 months and Kea about 7 months them commenting on how much energy my lurcher had. I thought they were bonkers and 3 years on they certainly are.
    High energy dogs are not easy to deal with. My lurcher couldnt go on a bike ride with you but she’ll walk further than you in a day and then sleep for 22 hours the next day.

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘What dog thread?’ is closed to new replies.