Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • What do you think about whilst riding solo?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Last night I passed a field for sale. I started thinking about how I’d design an eco house to put on it and if it’d be cheaper than a normal one. Lasted me the whole 45 min ride home that did.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Go out for a 3 hour road ride, after 10 minutes I start thinking about how I cant wait to get home. This usually lasts me until I get home.

mrben100
    Free Member

I generally just sing either Hawaii 5-O or Mission Impossible in my head very load.

Not too sure what that says about me though!?! 😳

EDIT: Thinking about it, it’s no different if I’m riding with others! I must think my riding is more imporatant or dangerous than what it really is is!

dan1980
    Free Member

I think about what happens if I have a crash, with no-one about, and whether rabbits will come and feast on my broken and twisted body.

That and the next haribo stop 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Lol @dt 🙂

scu98rkr
    Free Member

I’ve got a feeling I do think but not in the usual structured method, my thoughts just float about.

Until I hit something tricky then I switch on again.

I thought this was one of the best part of mountain biking you just kinda dont think too much.

phil.w
    Free Member

Go out for a 3 hour road ride, after 10 minutes I start thinking about how I cant wait to get home. This usually lasts me until I get home.

😆

i find i can fully focus my thoughts on the ride and nothing else. kind of similar to what i imagine people achieve through meditation. solo rides keep me sane.

D0NK

Everything and nothing, varies all the time. One of my fave things about riding is the wierd stuff that goes on in your head, switch off or obsess over minutiae, either can be good.

PlopNofear
    Free Member

*insert tumbleweed*

molgrips
    Free Member

I do think but not in the usual structured method

What on earth makes you think that structured thinking is the normal situation?

4ndyB
    Free Member

I don’t tend to think about anything much on any ride be it solo or group ride, apart from thinking about what’s in front of me on the trail.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

I try not to think about the ferocious beasties that are waiting for me in the woods

wwaswas

The problem with thinking ‘I must not think about the beasties’ is that, inevotably you start think about the beasties.

I tend to fill my head with the terrain and the pain in my legs.

If I want to think about life and stuff I go out on my road bike.

Which might explain why I’ve not ridden my road bike for months.

molgrips
    Free Member

This was the road leg home of an MTB ride mind. On roads and trails I knew like the back of my hand.

30 minutes earlier my mind was full of ‘how tf am I going to clean this climb?’. The climb was Machen Mountain (right hand route on the East Face), and I didn’t clean it.

RealMan
    Free Member

How I’m not trying hard enough usually. I find it very hard to put effort in when riding on my own (I’m also a useless TTer, these might be connected).

epicyclo

molgrips – Member
    … started thinking about how I’d design an eco house to put on it…

I do much the same. Keep spotting places where I could hide away a humpy (Ozzie style man habitat 🙂 ). Then half way through the revery I remember I have a wife and she has no sense of humour about my desire to live in a humpy (or a barge for that matter).

At least in this country you don’t have to worry about drop bears, or the stick in your path being a poisonous snake.

Beagleboy

I’m with Steve-Austin on this one. I tend to worry about the number of vicious Squirrels lurking behind every tree stump. When I stop, I can hear them whispering in the darkness. Plotting stuff, that’s what they’re up to.

Now I’m not so sure I want to go out tonight. 😕

molgrips
    Free Member

Epi, I have come within a couple of feet of running over a big snake on an MTB ride in the UK.. that certainly startled me!

epicyclo

I saw a nice wee snake up here 2 years ago. Almost black with nice pattern. It was sunning itself on a rock in the track. Caught it so my daughter who was following could see it and then carried it into the scrub a bit to let it go so it wouldn’t get run over. (Only little though, about 2 feet.)

Edit: on the ‘Puffer track.

chutney13
    Free Member

i have imaginary arguments with people who have annoyed me. i always win and make them look stupid, if only real life was so onesided and beneficially retrospect.

Blackflag
    Free Member

“I have come within a couple of feet of running over a big snake on an MTB ride in the UK”

What was that then? Its all grass snakes and adders isn’t it? Neither of which are very big – We get quite a lot of adders at Dalby for some reason.

donsimon
    Free Member

I usually try to think about who I can argue with. 😈

farmer-giles
    Free Member

on solo rides i think about sex and winning euro millions.
    if i think about euro millions first then i think alot more about sex. 😀

if i pass a fit female horse rider my thoughts automatically go to sex.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

What do you think about whilst riding solo?

Very little usually. Possibly ‘Mmm, pretty clouds today’ or ‘Mmm, who exchanged my lungs for sacks of coal?’.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I usually have an Ipod to break up the monotony. If it’s a beautiful spring / summer afternoon I’ll happily stop and enjoy the view for twenty minutes or so.

It works for me, no riding buddies to either motivate or make excuses to and no need to keep asking “pardon?” or “what did you say?” when trying to keep up with conversation on the trails.

A few mates to liven up the post ride beer would be good though.

nickc

I sing to myself, or sort out plot lines to the crap fiction I write.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

so its only me that thinks about sex then ?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Really, not much. Except maybe some advice to pace myself. And where to go next. Sometimes I think: “Ooh, here comes the icky bit”, or “Yay, that was good”, or both in succession. But generally I like losing my sense of self, quieting the inner voice, and life concerns are forgotten to just concentrate on making progress.

It’s nice.

Zoolander
    Free Member

I usually get lost when riding alone so my mind is usually taken up with ” I wonder what’s down there?” and that then reverts to “where the **** am I?”

Gary_M
    Free Member

I ride a 20 mile each way commute so have lots of time to let my mind wander. In the mornings I tend to not think about very much at all and it’s fantastic to have the time to let your mind empty. On the way home I think through work stuff and all sorts of things from the universe to what brake blocks to buy.

I have my best ideas on the bike.

molgrips
    Free Member

What was that then? Its all grass snakes and adders isn’t it?

Yes, but grass snakes can be quite big, up to 6ft according to Wikipedia. Mine was about 3ft at least, and on the banks of a river which fits with the habitat.

Oh and there are smooth snakes too, making 3 kinds.

BluePalomino
    Free Member

if i pass a fit female horse rider my thoughts automatically go to sex.

I tend to think about which would be the best route for fit female horse riders.

warpcow
    Free Member

I don’t think anything worth remembering apparently. I do sing to myself, mostly in my head, but out loud the more tired I get. It’s only when something unusual pops up that it starts me thinking, but not for long. We’ve had quite a few snakes in the forests round me in Sweden this summer, so much so that I don’t bother to stop anymore and spend 5mins coming up with reasons why I shouldn’t try to touch them. I do stop for bear pooh though, and then spend the rest of the ride looking for other signs of life.

MrNutt
    Free Member

pedal, pedal, pedal, jesusI’msweatinglikeacrackhungrywhore, pedal, pedal, breathe, pedal, they’llneverfindthebodiesdon’tworry, pedal, pedal, christisthisclimbevergoingtoend, spinfeet, spinfeet, ohlookatthattree, spinfeet, cadance, riverdance, nonotriverdance, pedal, pedal, pedal, thankchristthetop, ohgod, pedalpedalpedal, notmuchfurther, nearlythere, ohitsflattineningout, breathe, breathe BREATHEBREATHEBREATHE, ok, now, back down, weeeeeeeeeeehahahahhahwooooooooahhahahahhaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee etc.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Like what Buzz says.

On long, demanding climbs I kind of use an inner mantra, but other than that, mtb is at least in part about the de-tune for me.

alexpalacefan

What I’m supposed to be doing, weight, foot-position, line et c.

Unless I’m night riding in the woods on my own, in which case it’s “Don’t think about The Blair Witch Project, don’t think about The Blair Witch Project” on an increasingly fast and panicky loop until I turn for home and ride as fast as I bloody can!

APF

uponthedowns
    Free Member

I’m a keen photographer so I’m always looking out for good locations. Other than that I tend to zone out.

STATO
    Free Member

I think of nothing and everything. Riding alone is great for clearing my head and sorting things out, i dont mean big life decisions or whatever, just emptying my head of everything. Sleeping is supposed to be when your brain sorts itself out, mine does it when im riding.

Duke
    Free Member

In the woods, SLP opportunities.

crikey
    Free Member

I ride solo with an mp3 player in one ear an invariably think why the **** am I listening to the spice girls.
    Although on one ride I was so out of it that I genuinely asked myself how come all the music on here is tracks that I know….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘What do you think about whilst riding solo?’ is closed to new replies.