• This topic has 14 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by nach.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What CO2 inflator?
  • shanta
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend a nice realiable compact CO2 please. Nedd it for road bike and 29er mtb.

globalti
    Free Member

I have one that stores the canister reversed inside a cage, which protects your hands from freezing when you reverse the cartridge, pierce and empty it. It’s not much bigger than a cylinder but needs to go in a jersey pocket. My cycling buddy has a Lezyne thingy that just screws onto the cartridge and has a button to press, it fits in his saddle pack but your hand gets frozen. Both do the same job. If I had a choice now I would go for whichever gives the most controlled rate of flow because they do dump the gas rather fast into the tube and if you’re not very careful you can blow a tube if the tube is trapped between bead and rim. Both our inflators dump the entire contents into the tube in about two to three seconds, which is actually too fast.

nach
    Free Member

I got one of these because it’s made of metal:
    https://www.ridepdw.com/goods/inflation/shiny-object

Still reliable five years on.

shanta
    Free Member

Anyone got this one?
    http://www.wilko.com/bike-parts+accessories/jetvalve-co2-tyre-inflator/invt/0337769

A friend has recommend the Birzman Zacoo but its twice the price..

scaredypants

I got an ultraflate plus because it’s made of plastic 😀

scaredypants
    shanta
    Free Member

Is a 16g cartridge enough for a 29er mtb tyre?

bruneep

I have same as SP has, it works and has never broken. Not much more to say really.

Wouldn’t want to hold the other one linked to after its been discharged

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

With my 29er I tend to use a pump for the first bit of inflation as it is easy and quick and allows me to ensure that the tyre is seated. I then use CO2 for the rest of the inflation to get it up to pressure quickly.

Also, I have found that generic canisters work in a Genuine Innovations inflater despite the warnings to the contrary.

johnners
    Free Member

I’ve got that one. It’s always worked perfectly for me, you can regulate flow quite easily by how hard you push it on to the tyre valve. Holding onto it isn’t an issue, there’s the plastic cover and I’m never out without gloves or mitts anyway. And it’s about as compact as you’ll get.

I don’t know how well it would do a 29er tyre, depends what pressure you run really. A 16g is enough to put 30ish in a decent sized 26er but I usually do what midlifecrisis does.

butlerjamesp
    Free Member

try one of these Truflo Micro Co2

IHN

A possibly dumb question for/from the CO2-inflator uninitiated, are the canisters a one-hit and they’re dead job, or do they have the capacity to inflate, say, a couple of 25c roadies tyres?

butlerjamesp
    Free Member

depends on the pump and the canister size

nach
    Free Member

IHN – Member
    A possibly dumb question for/from the CO2-inflator uninitiated, are the canisters a one-hit and they’re dead job, or do they have the capacity to inflate, say, a couple of 25c roadies tyres?

Rule of thumb is one cannister per tyre because of the higher PSI you want in road tyres, but obviously there’s a lot variation.This is the genuine innovations chart.

I get one and a bit MTB tyres from a single 16g. That’s 26in 2.4’s at 20 – 25PSI.

bruneep – Member
    Wouldn’t want to hold the other one linked to after its been discharged

The can ices up, the inflator doesn’t. It’s a tiny, really good quality bit of kit.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What CO2 inflator?’ is closed to new replies.