Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • What Camera For…
  • Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

A budding 11 year old photographer?

She’s loving my Canon G9 for going for walks etc, but its clearly a bit expensive for her to use as her own day to day camera.

Understands use of zoom and macro well, no real need (well, at least for the moment) for manual settings, but you never know, and some “creative” options might be good for her.

So… robust, macro and zoom, relatively simple menu’s, and not so expensive that you’d cry if it got lost or smashed – Moon on a stick territory but any idea’s welcomed.

TiRed

Get her a used G5, excellent camera, fast lens, should be pretty cheap. The fold out screens were prone to fail.

molgrips
    Free Member

I would say something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ctg/Olympus-CAMEDIA-C-7070-Wide-Zoom-7-1-MP-Digital-Camera-/100220340?_pcategid=31388&_pcatid=802&_refkw=olympus+c7070&_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A5251&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I used a C5060 until I got my DSLR a couple of years ago. It was absolutely fantastic – full manual including manual focus, excellent macro for great close-ups hand held, etc etc. My sister in law is currently using it. And this one is a better model and currently TEN POUNDS!

Fill yer boots http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=olympus+camedia&_sacat=0&_odkw=olympus+c7070&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

molgrips
    Free Member

Also tons of great stuff here, as always:

stores.ebay.com/olympusmarket

5thElefant
    Free Member

Sony Nex3 for £218 from Currys/PCWorld Ebay Outlet?

I can’t stress how stupidly good value that is.

molgrips
    Free Member

You might find she gets into the technicalities more quickly than you think.. kids can be like that… course she’s your kid and all that 🙂

grantway
    Free Member

I know what you mean my Daughter seems to think my Canon G11 is her’s too!

Take a look at these compact water proof cameras
    Be ideal and get HD videos too

Water Proof Compact Cameras

gravity-slave
    Free Member

What’s your budget? If you can stretch to something she can grow into, I picked up a Canon S95 for about £270 to with me when my SLR is too heavy – it has most of the features of the G11 but in a much more compact body, but no hotshoe. Likely to get less as the S100 has been announced now.

It’s replacing a perfectly good, hardly used and very nice Panasonic Lumix that’s up for grabs if that’s of any interest? Only changed as I wanted full manual control.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

course she’s your kid and all that

😆

thanks guys – hadn’t really thought about old spec type stuff on Ebay, looks like that might be the way to go, lots at reasonable prices on the Ebay Argos clearance store 8)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘What Camera For…’ is closed to new replies.