Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • What body armour for XC? (Not a troll)
  • votchy
    Free Member

Serious question following last nights stack in the wyre forest, result several fractured ribs and 6 weeks off the bike 🙁

Have broken ribs 3 times, damaged my shoulder requiring an op and 10 weeks off the bike (only been back riding for 3 weeks).

I don't fall off that often but when I do I do it properly, so can anyone recomend something to protect my ribs and my knees that I can wear for general XC duties, I know I will look a tw4t padded up (especially in the gnarlfest of the NW Worcestershire Alps) but I would rather that than suffer anymore rib root/tree/rock interfaces. Generally I accept the tirade of p1ss taking about learning to ride properly etc but suffering from a sense of humour failure at the moment but do genuinely want some help with this.

Mark (the cr4p rider)

glenh
    Free Member

glenp
    Free Member

First of all, sympathies for your injuries. Secondly, it really isn't a p!ss take to suggest upgrading your riding – at any experience level there are still things to learn. Thirdly (again, not a wind-up) there's nothing wrong with just slowing down a tad and staying within your limits 100% of the time.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

OK, but you ride like a troll ?

Driller
    Free Member

I use a pair of Kyle Straits and some evo elbows on loads of rides, from trail centres to Yorkshire Moors and Mendips / Quntocks XC stuff. I don't feel out of place, and when I'm firing down a piece of rocky singletrack off the moor at 30mph plus I'm glad I've got them on.

Plus, as the weather gets cooler I find my usual riding shorts + Kyle Straits are plenty warm enough, and I think look loads better than a jey pair of cycling tights, but it's not about how you look so don't get hung up on it.

The knees and elbows won't protect your ribs, well not directly obviously, but I find if I crash wearing my elbow / arm pads then I'll sometimes deliberately break my fall with the bits of me that are padded up.

It's not where you ride, it's how you ride, and if you're likey to crash then wear some protective gear. You wear a helmet and gloves presumably. What's the problem with protecting the rest of yourself?

Del

kyle strait knees and raceface hardshell elbow/forearms here. haven't seen anything that will stop your ribs though. 🙁 feel your pain. i've done mine twice.

haddock
    Free Member

Race face Rally FR arm pads are superb, I use them all the time and find they have upped my confidence on realy techy stuff. Not found a knee pad that doesn't chaff the skin in hot weather though, tried putting knee warmers under them and the pad just slid off on impact (661 kyle), i've used the old Rector skate pad, that seemed to have offered more protection on the cap of the knee than the 661 – anyone got any suggestions for a non slippy knee covering to go under the pad?

johnikgriff
    Free Member

kyle strait or Evo for knees and brand-x or Evo for elbows. Pockets dependant

Del

haddock,
    mine rub occaisionally. sudocream fixes it good and proper.

crazy-legs

What glenp said – fix the problem at source rather than trying to control the result.
    I'd only use body armour for XXXC anyway. 😉

blue_mountain_goat
    Free Member

POC, if you can find them.

juan
    Free Member

Hope you get well soon. However you won't find a body armour that will protect your ribs 🙁
    Just take it easy.

jonathan
    Free Member

After my fun on Saturday this is definitely on-topic for me (small jumps, big unexpected side winds, and freakishly sharp rocks don't mix well…. NOT FOR THE SQUEAMISH)

I've worn stuff before after injuries, but generally haven't bothered for ages. But your riding moves on and sometimes that involves crashing, and if you want to enjoy yourself (instead of spend a few weeks, months?, off the bike) then it might be better to be a bit better protected.

I probably just want knee protection – I'm clipped in so shin stuff seems less important. Kyle Straits keep popping up in recommendations but the 661 "smart foam" d30 thingies are also on the list.

I'm in no rush… it'll be a while before I'm riding again 🙁

grumm
    Free Member

Find a new hobby? Crochet perhaps?

Seriously though I reckon you aren't gonna get body armour to protect your ribs properly that won't make riding a massive ball-ache.

Maybe some skills coaching would be a good idea (such as that offered by glenp perhaps 😉 )

FuzzyWuzzy

I generally use 661 evo knees & elbows if doing Afan, I find the elbows a pain though, they seem to slip a lot unless I do them up so tight it affects circulation. Recently bought POC bone knee/shin + elbows for DH stuff and the elbows are a lot more comfy than the 661 evo's, the knee/shin I found rubbed just above my ankle joint but might be because I bought the large size.
    Not sure on upper body really, 661 core saver might be an option but I imagine you'd get pretty hot wearing it for XC. Not sure it would be that good for ribs anyway, my pressure suit chest is a flexible so seems more to prevent cuts rather than spread the impact to help prevent fractures.

DT78
    Free Member

I am completely with you on padding up. I usually where kyle straits and 661 velcro pads on the elbows (wing?).

Last thursday I had a complete freak accident, clipped in I caught my calf on a broken twig on my way home through the local woods. Cue a 6 inch gash which them split open about a cm. 9 proper stitches and 10 butterfly. I might start wearing calf protection too.

I'm just coming back from a scaphoid break in May. I hear these things come in 3s…..

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

If I think I might be pushing myself I wear nice Kyle Straits – and they keep my knees warm

I have veggie elbows but find them a bit too sweaty

justme
    Free Member

kyle straits and evo's here

MrAgreeable

NOT FOR THE SQUEAMISH)

Holy zombie Jesus! Are you sure you didn't fall on a chainsaw? 😯

Hope all the affected people heal up soon. And as said above, padding up is useful up to a point, but if you're smashing ribs on an XC ride, it might be time to ease off a bit…

muddydwarf
    Free Member

what about this :-

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=30724

long sleeved version too. Not sure how much protection it gives tho'.

Travis

sympathies for the ribs, that hurts, a lot.
    If I'm going to push myself, I wear the D30 stuff from 661, although I do want some of their D30 undershorts as when I do fall, I tend to land on my outer thigh/hips

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘What body armour for XC? (Not a troll)’ is closed to new replies.