Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • What B+ ish wheelset?
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

30 – 35mm ID would do me I reckon, JRA have WTB i35 on hope pro4s for 440.

Anything else worth a shout?. Cheers.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Thanks, but looking for full builds George.

singlespeedstu

If you can hang on a couple of weeks i”ll have a pair of i45 front i35 rear built on pro2 evos for sale.
    Less than 6 months old.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Sounds good Stu, let me know when you’re ready, email in profile.

singlespeedstu

Will do.

Sanny
    Free Member

Hi Nobeer

I am currently testing Halo Vapour wheels and they are very impressive. £299 a pair with bolt thru options. 30mm internal diameter and 35mm external. The hubs seem pretty damn good too. I am running them with 3.0 Nobby Nics and they are proving to be an outstanding Lakes wheel and tyre combo. 😀 I think they are excellent value for money and have proven to be very tough. The additional grip compared to my previous Hans Damffs on Mavic rims is astonishing.

Hope this helps?

Cheers

Sanny

Northwind

Kind of OT but do these narrower rims work well then? 30mm id is more or less what I’d choose for a 2.3, I’d assumed b+ would need more but then, I know nothing about b+…

Sanny
    Free Member

I can vouch for the 30mm internal diameter Halo Vapours working really well with both 2.8 Rocket Rons and 3.0 Nobby Nics. They aren’t quite as big as wider rims (obviously) but the level of grip is phenomenal and with the Nobby Nics, they measure up not far off the diameter of a 29 Mavic rim shod with a Hans Damff. The weight is virtually identical! Put it this way, I feel no need to switch back to the 29er set up. They roll extremely well too. I decided to try them as a test piece to see how easy it is to switch from 29 to 650b+ and whether it is a worthwhile thing to do. Hell yeah! 😉

sillyoldman

I’d be interested to hear how you get on with 40-45mm internal rims vs 30mm Sanny.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Sanny, cheers fella, that’s a great option.

I was tempted to go for something like 30-35 to allow either 3.0 purges or 2.8 NNs to fit into the pikes. It’s for my 29er spectral, I reckon BeePlusFullSuss could be awesome!. 😆

Sanny
    Free Member

Alright silly old man!

The Nobby Nics on the Vapours measure up wider than Dirt Wizards on 50 mm rims. I would struggle to go bigger than the Vapours on my full sus Turner as clearance could become an issue. I’ve been ragging them in the Lakes for the last three days and they just keep impressing me. I’m running the pressures fairly low and they do an admirable job of coping with wet Lakeland off camber slabs and are a bit of an eye opener on roots.

Nobeer

If you fancy showing me your trails, I can come down and let you try them if you want on your bike? They fit in Fox 34 forks comfortbly. Not sure about Pikes though. E mail in my profile. 😀

Cheers

Sanny

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Thanks for the offer Sanny, but a gubbed knee looks like it’s gonna keep me off two wheels for a while. A couple of guys on the big 650B+ thread have the same set up, and fits fine.

Oh, and I let a mate borrow my spectral for the puffer, and he’s broke a few bits! 😆

sillyoldman

I get that Sanny, but it’s still just a trail bike rim width as NW says.

DW is a small tyre – a 2.5 Minion is similar in size on a comparable rim.

Try it on a dedicated rim (and a dedicated bike?) for the sake of comparison. The additional support and achieving a tyre profile as the brand intended should both make significant differences.

What pressure are you running?

Not trying to piss on your chips – I just feel you could get an even better set up.

sillyoldman

Nobeer – you surprised? Dave’s a clumsy twunt! 😉

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Darn tootin!

esky123
    Free Member

I decided on halo vapour35s on hope pro 4 rims and spech tyres after going back and forward for ages

honourablegeorge

Northwind – Member
    Kind of OT but do these narrower rims work well then? 30mm id is more or less what I’d choose for a 2.3, I’d assumed b+ would need more but then, I know nothing about b+…

Schwalbe recommend 40mm to 50mm. Trailblazers were always marketed with the i45.

Think you take recommendations with a pinch of salt though. Ive run 2.4 Nics on 21mm Crests for years, never burped once. Do you realky need twice the width for 2.8?

sillyoldman

If that’s what the tyre is designed for, then ideally yes. Your 2.4 tyres were likely to be designed for rims up to 25mm as that’s all that was around.

benpinnick

Think you take recommendations with a pinch of salt though.

Expermentation is going to be necessary I think. The Schwalbe 2.8 tyres are very different beasts to the 3.0s. Its hard to believe that they would be both best suited to the exact same rim size.

nemesis
    Free Member

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/650b-and-other-plus-sizes-if-you-like-rim-tyre-frame-fork-combinations

2.8 is fine with my 25mm internal rims. I think I’ll go for a 35mm internal one for the front to widen the front tyre a little more.

Sanny
    Free Member

Hi Sillyoldman

Are you in a habit of pissing on your chips? Must be a Dundonian thing. I like salt (from sea water and not my own water) and vinegar personally! 😀

I’m running between 15 and 20 psi depending on how rocky the terrain is.

As for getting to ride a proper 650b+ dedicated machine, if you know anyone in the industry who could help with that, that would be grand! 😆 A new Genesis would definitely help me with putting your sage wisdom into practice. 😉

scotroutes

Might be a bit wee for you Sanny but let me know if you fancy a shot
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/B1TUgb]DSC_0331[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

honourablegeorge

benpinnick – Member

The Schwalbe 2.8 tyres are very different beasts to the 3.0s. Its hard to believe that they would be both best suited to the exact same rim size.

Is there that much difference? I went 2.8 ‘cos I wanted to fit in a standard Pike and still use a marsh guard

benpinnick

Yeah quite alot. If you ignore the tread pattern you’d probably have given them different names! The 2.8 is bascially a 2.8 tyre. Calling it plus is probably a bit of a stretch – it sizes up pretty much as you’d expect a 2.8 27.5 tyre too, 28 and a bit inches tall, 2.8 wide etc. The carcass is fairly tough like a middle of the road trail tyre too.

The 3.0 is very different though. The actual width is the +5mm the sizing would indicate, with basically the same nobbles slightly farther apart – at low pressures I doubt the grip will differ, you’re getting the same rubber on the ground on either tyre. The big difference is in the size and construction – by comparison the 3.0 is significantly thinner than the 2.8, more like an XC tyre kind of build than a trail tyre, its also alot taller, sizing up 10mm taller on the sidewall than the 2.8 version, giving it a more ‘+’ like size getting towards 29er (its still not but its much closer).

Different tyres for sure. I would be interested to know more why Schwalbe went in different directions for the two sizes.

honourablegeorge

That’s interesting ben. cheers for the detail. I’m happy I went 2.8 reading that.

Wish my frame would arrive, have all the bits now except frame (and the seatpost, which is coming with). Really keen to give this a go.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

So, Stu can’t sell me his wheelset yet, and those Halo wheels are out of stock until the end of march Sanny.

Owt else?.

Looking like JRA.

akira

Alpkit are doing plus size wheelsets, might be too wide for you but a good budget option. Dt Swiss, Easton and spank are bringing our new wider rims imminently.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Alpkit ones are a bit hefty tbh, I’m by no means a weenie, but they’re 500g heavier than the Halo wheelset.

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

America Classic Wide Lightnings are worth a try, I’ve had them on my Whyte 909 for a few months and they’ve been great – I’d think they’re plenty wide enough to run + size tyres. Nice and light too

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Looks like Triton have the Vapours in stock, that’ll do!.

yorkycsl
    Free Member

I’ve been running Roval Fattie Carbon SL’s all last year at 30mm internal width, very pleased with the increased grip levels & how much the tyre looks to of increased.
    I’ve been told the rim will take a fattie tyre I guess up to 3.0″ but won’t squeeze one of those in a Bronson frame.

No issues with them other than my clumsy riding snapping a spoke, would definitely have another set though I have a new pair of DT240 hubs itching to be built on to some tasty rims.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Turns out ‘in stock’ doesn’t quite mean that at triton.

So, ordered a pair of i35 rims and novatec hubs, and I’ll get a local wheel builder to do the business. 35mm internal should give a nice profile, good sidewall strength and less chance of burping.

Really looking forward to trying them out now, the NN 2.8’s came, look a really nice option for muddy stuff too, nice square knobs on em.

Babyjack
    Free Member

I could have put money on that happening!

Everytime I’ve ordered an ‘in stock’ item from Triton I get a phone call telling me they don’t have it.. in stock.

phy7tes
    Free Member

Interested to see how you go with this, I have a spectral 29er too! Please post pics and results!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Will do fella.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

phy7tes – Got the wheels yesterday, 2.8NN’s went up tubeless no issues on the i35’s. Loads of room on the Pike, no probs at all, but maybe a little too close for comfort on the rear.

Loads of room at the seatstays, but the chainstay on the NDS may be borderline – Pretty impossible to measure this as it sits a fair bit lower than it’s DS opposite number.

BB height feels okay, and measures up as being about 2mm lower than my SB66, so I don’t really have any concerns there.

I’ve got some protective tape on there, and I’m planning to take it to Kirro/GT/Comrie tomorrow, see how it goes.

On the late night car park test, Nobby nics felt a bit self steery, but I think that may be just because I had plenty pressure in them to seal them overnight, we’ll see.

If the back does rub, then it’ll be back to 29er mode, and I’ll keep the wheels for another bike as they’re a really nice looking build – 110 for the rims, 100 for the hubs and 60 for spokes and build.

I’ll get some pics posted up after tomorrows ride.

singlespeedstu

If you ignore the tread pattern you’d probably have given them different names! The 2.8 is bascially a 2.8 tyre. Calling it plus is probably a bit of a stretch – it sizes up pretty much as you’d expect a 2.8 27.5 tyre too, 28 and a bit inches tall, 2.8 wide etc. The carcass is fairly tough like a middle of the road trail tyre too.

The 3.0 is very different though. The actual width is the +5mm the sizing would indicate, with basically the same nobbles slightly farther apart – at low pressures I doubt the grip will differ, you’re getting the same rubber on the ground on either tyre. The big difference is in the size and construction – by comparison the 3.0 is significantly thinner than the 2.8, more like an XC tyre kind of build than a trail tyre

I’ve just recieved a 3.00 NN and I already had a couple of 2.8’s.
    I really can’t see or feel and difference in the thickness of the sidewalls.Looks like the same tyre but a bit bigger to me.
    Were the 3.00’s you had Trailstar or Pacestar? Maybe that makes a difference?

phy7tes
    Free Member

Nobeer – how was the ride? Any rubbing?! Let’s see these pics!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, it’s not happening on the rear, just not enough clearance at the non drive side mate, and there’s only just enough on the drive side, so no point trying to dish the wheel over.

If you have a look at my instagram, you’ll see some pics – @ringoffire.

I was out last night up the local moor, and there’s a section that is perfect for testing out whether you are getting pedal strikes as it’s really lumpy but pedally. Good news is that I didn’t get any, and tbh the BB height was one of my main concerns.

I’ll be trying something like 2.4 NN or Trail king in the rear, as the front end grip with the B+ is terrific.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘What B+ ish wheelset?’ is closed to new replies.