Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • What audiobook(s) for a 1000mile car journey?
  • beamers

Week after next the Beamers clan is heading so Scotland, from Dorset, where we will be depositing the Beamlet with her grandparents while Mrs Beamers and I go skiing for a week in Switzerland.

Whenever we make the the trip to Scotland we drive overnight so that the Beamlet sleeps the whole way.

What audiobook(s) do the STW massive recommend to keep the adults entertained and mentally stimulated on the long drive?

Ta in advance.

druidh
    Free Member

You could try talking to each other.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Gulliver’s Travels” read by Robert Hardy.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

You could try talking to each other.

Gulliver’s Travels is MUCH better.

cynic-al
    Free Member

*is gutted to get in 2nd sarky reply but bows to master”

War and Peace is good.

scottyjohn
    Free Member

I listened to the God Delusion by Richard Dawkins and Digital Fortress by Dan Brown and thought they were both very good. Bad Science by Ben Goldacre was not bad and Accidental Billionaires by Ben Mezrich wasnt that good.

tankslapper
    Free Member

Goon Shows…..

samuri
    Free Member

Digital Fortress by Dan Brown

I’ve tended to avoid him after reading the Da vinci code (and watching the film), both of which I thought were utter tripe. Is the digital fortress any better?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Nicholson Baker
    The Fermata

Perfect audio book

user-removed
    Free Member

Currently very much enjoying ‘Never Let Me Go’ from Audible. It’d also be good in a car as it’s a brand new recording, narrated by a lass with a very clear and concise voice. Really good yarn with enough emotional content to keep the good lady happy too.

Oh, and The Thirty-nine Steps, unabridged, read by Robert Powell is excellent, but only lasts four hours.

RustySpanner

The Far Pavillions has been superb on Radio 4 over the last few weeks.

Well worth a pop I reckon.

BillMC

Joyce’s Ulysses read by the RTE players, 24 hours’ worth.

matthewjb
    Free Member

Is the digital fortress any better?

Well the book wasn’t.

Nicholson Baker
    The Fermata

Wouldn’t that be a little ‘distracting’ on a car journey?

I’d recommend ‘A History of the world in 100 objects‘. It’s a podcast rather than a book but it’s fascinating.

user-removed
    Free Member

Hmmm. Read The Digital Fortress whilst waiting for the rain to stop on a recent outdoors job and it’s shit.*

The Picture of Dorian Gray narrated by David Brown (again, from Audible) is also very good. His voice suits the book to a tee.

*Italics implemented whilst trying to think of another word for ‘shit’. Nothing came to mind.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Bill bryson.

5lab

in the past I’ve had Bill Bryson and the James Bond books – but for something of that length Id reccomend the Jason Borne audiobooks – We made it all the way to Oktoberfest and most of the way back on one of them (18 hours) – so a decent way to kill time

el-Gato-Negro
    Free Member

The Count Of Monte Christo (Dumas)

ebygomm
    Free Member

We enjoyed Adrian Mole, partly I think because it doesn’t matter too much if you miss bits etc.

flatfish
    Free Member

forgotten highlander

Hairychested
    Free Member

Patricia Cornwell – the whole of Dr Scarpetta series.

beamers

Cheers all.

That lot should keep us awake / sane.

MSP

Hitch-hikers guide to the galaxy.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Nicholson Baker
    The Fermata

Wouldn’t that be a little ‘distracting’ on a car journey?

What? You want distraction, that’s the whole point about an audio book in the car

br
    Free Member

Free podcasts:

Radio 4 Comedy and Freakanomics Radio

anjs
    Free Member

Having just driven to Assnyt and back from southern England. I can recomend “Race to the the Pole” by Ben Fogle and James Cracknell

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I enjoyed the Lord of the Rings (originally broadcast on Radio 4 long before the films came out).

Or how about a ‘Teach yourself French/German/Urdu’ box set?

rootes1

Hitch-hikers guide to the galaxy.

top choice

M1llh0use
    Free Member

neuro-lingustic programming for dummies.

eye-opening listening..

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘What audiobook(s) for a 1000mile car journey?’ is closed to new replies.