Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What 4×4 van?
  • Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Looking for a new or nearly new 4wd van for our company. Either smallish (Berlingo size) or upto transit. So far I’ve only found VW Transporter 4motion and Transit 4wd. If I was honest they’re kinda a little on the large size. Any other suggestions?

mos

renault kangoo 4×4. don’t know if they are any good though

DickBarton

Kangoo 4×4 – apparently it’s not bad for what it is and does surprisingly well ‘offroad’ – I can’t recall the report I read but it was on something like auto Express or likewise…

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Hi
    Yes, Kangoo was an option, but no longer available. Shame.

steviegil
    Free Member

Caddy 4motion’s seem to be quite good. We have Kangoos at work and they are great coping with everything thats thrown at them!

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

I heard that 4×4 Kangoos chewed gearboxes at a rate of knots, otherwise I’d have one.

steviegil
    Free Member

Fortunateson09 – Member
    I heard that 4×4 Kangoos chewed gearboxes at a rate of knots, otherwise I’d have one

Ours seem to be driveshaft problems rather than gearboxs BUT ours are all coming to or over 100k and have had a real hard life.

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Caddy 4motion looks like it could be the one. Why there isn’t a Berlingo 4×4 is beyond me. I’d have thought there would have been a market for one.

maccruiskeen

There might be a Vito in 4×4 flavour – I know the people-carrier versions do. Sprinters are available 4×4 too, but I’ve only seen MWB versions so prob bigger than you want.

spooky_b329

The Diahatsu Hijet is/was available as a 4×4, but to be honest you’d probably be glad of a bit of snow as an excuse not to drive it 😉

You could also look at the Citroen Dispatch 1200 XTR+, medium size van (smaller than VW/Transit), its not a 4×4 but it does have a limited slip differential so unlike most vehicles you won’t get stuck with one wheel spinning away on a muddy verge whilst the other is sitting on the tarmac doing nothing. Probably not got much benefit over a 2wd drive van with traction control though.

Seeing as you think you would be OK with a small van you could also consider the Ssangyong Rexton and Mitsubishi Outlander GX1, they are commercial versions of passenger cars. Rear windows are deleted and obviously no rear seats.

IA

Why there isn’t a Berlingo 4×4 is beyond me

I think they might do one in france. They do a “more offroad” one at least, if it’s not actually 4×4.

They have far more choice on the continent, love their little vans they do. (with good reason, I love my berlingo)

andrewh
    Free Member

Delcia or Bongo with the seats out?

jonahtonto
    Free Member

im going to give my standard van answer, GET A SPRINTER !!!!! best vans . a 208 are only the size of a tranny and you can get them with hydraulic adjustable height suspension and 4×4. although ive never had one but if i did i might pimp it to look like this ;- http://www.4x4offroads.com/image-files/mercedes-benz-sprinter-4×4-inch-70.jpg

steveh

What do you need 4×4 for? If you need real 4×4 then landrover discovery commercial vehicle or the mitsi/sang yong options mentioned above might be good.

Mercedes don’t do a 4×4 vito so vw are your best option really. Will almost certainly have to be new as they’re rare as rocking horse doo doo.

sam42
    Free Member

pinzgauer?

cozz
    Free Member

rare and maybe too old for you but some lwb isuzu trooper comercials

maccruiskeen

Nissan Terrano also comes as a van (ie no rear seats and no rear windows – so van for the purposes of tax), but load space will be modest compared to kangoo. What are the actual 4×4 duties for the van? And why not a 4×4 pickup with a hardtop?

Mercedes don’t do a 4×4 vito

They do, but I’ve only seen them as ‘Dual Liners’ – with a second row of seats. Packaged as a V Class people carrier it has 4×4 option too if you want another row seats and about £40,000 worth of buttons to press.

steveh

Mercedes don’t list a 4×4 in the viano or vito on the website nor have I ever seen one in the flesh or on any of the auction catalogues I’ve looked at/been to.

Got a link maccruiskeen?

maccruiskeen

They’ll have the name ‘4Matic’ attached to them, but I’d expect its more of an option than an off-the-peg. I’ve come across them second hand when I’ve been looking for something else

ivantate
    Free Member

Have a look at the Dangel website.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What 4×4 van?’ is closed to new replies.