Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • What 4-6" adjustable full suss frame do i want? not cotic.
  • VanHalen

i want something i can thrash dh and plough through things when the mood takes but also something that wont sanitize the southern trails too much.

i have a HT and i've already got a FR bike but its a bit burly for most of my riding. (bloody great on steep rocky trails the lakes mind)

i think i need something adjustable from 4-6" lightweight and capable of taking a 6" fork. (moon on a stick?)

cotic hemlock would be great but A)they are bloody expensive, B)a bit prone to bending/snapping by all accounts, and C)i was told my riding 'is not suitable for this frame' by cotic – which confused me as i figured it would suit me bang on.

so what else is out there suitable for general ragging down hills/wales&lakes epic rocky descents, jumps/shore and occasionally a bit of uphill etc bearing in mind i'm no freeride god but i love a bit of jumpy/droppy rockgarden fun – thats why we have suspension right?

anyway i 'need' a new bike and i need some inspiration as to what to get. not bothered by brand just one that works and wont cost me a kidney.

cheers all

mark

hugorune

Orange Patriot? You can swap the shock mount out to run a shorter stroke shock and drop from 7" travel to 5" travel. You just need to buy the shock mount and another shock. Don't think you can buy them new anymore though.

jfeb
    Free Member

Does it need to be adjustable? how about a "robust" 4" travel bike that can handle longer forks a la Blur 4X

Otherwise, I think Nicolai's have adjustable travel

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bristolsurfer
    Free Member

Dirt mag rave about the Cannondale Rush & Prophet. I've got a Prophet MX & love it (fitted with lyriks) though maybe the Rush would suit you better if you want a bike thats a real contrast to your FR bike.

paule
    Free Member

Not adjustable, but the 140mm marin bikes seem to be pretty much what you're after.

bent_udder
    Free Member

Edit – ah, scratch that if you want adjustable. AS said above, take a look at Nicolai. Even the 'cheap' single pivot Nonious is adjustable from 100 – 130mm. Nice bikes.

StuF

Nicolai Helius? – but v expensive

VanHalen

its my birthday soon.

i`ve always wanted a nicolai.

you can survive on one kidney right?

wanders off to nicolais site…..

prophets look ok but maybe a bit long travel for down south all the time.

what 4" frames take 6" forks? maybe i can keep the Norco for wales/lakes adventures?? but then thats another bike in the loft….

cheers chaps – keep em coming.

Ben_Haworth

Get a Cannondale Prophet while you still can.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Prophet with 2 shocks and talas forks?

Or maybe a Pitch and ride around with the pro pedal on full until you want everything smoothing out.

I have a Pitch comp and have fitted an RP3 I ride with pro pedal on medium apart from when I'm doing DH. Its my first bike with pro pedal and I think its a great compromise I have 1 bike with 6" of travel but can vary how it feels massively just by turning a lever a little. You probably dont need adjustable travel just an RP23.

Would you really bother to adjust the travel for each ride or even section (if it was qr like old marins) I know I would just find a happy compromise and just leave it.

z1ppy

indeedy 3rd [edit: ****… 4th] the prophet but we would say that being prophet owners… you can adjust the geometry on the Prophet but not the travel without replacing the shock

jfeb
    Free Member

Despite the bad review from MBR (apparently) it might be worth testing one of Bionicon's range. The Edison is probably the closest to your requirements. I have tested a few of them and thought they were great.

ChrisS
    Free Member

Chumba XCL? Tough little 5" frame…

ahwiles
    Free Member

promise not to laugh?

as a left-field suggestion, how about the carrera banshee? (halfords)

it's a proper 4-bar design, it's built tough, 150mm travel, you can buy a complete bike for about £500, the new ones even look good.

(think of it as a cheaper, tougher, cotic hemlock)

buy one, sell all the bits on the 'bay, and buy a RP23, and a respray.

?

moe_szyslak
    Free Member

Heckler?

I_Ache
    Free Member

I think we just had a first!!

Somebody had suggested a chumba without the presence of si_progressivebikes bloody hell!

Vortexracing

Ventana X5 with a change of rocker 4", 5", 5.5" or 6" and 6.3" your choice.

you could also buy a coil shock for those days you want to go Free Riding.

VanHalen

I Ache – i`m liking the prophet idea. HOWEVER the bb looks high?

could i run a shorter shock with shorter stroke and get a better handleing bike with the short travel and big forks i like (which suits wht i ride day to day)? then wap the original shock back in for burly trail days or hols where it warrents it?

HA might end up a tad slack, but it might be fun on the steep stuff…

pah! you gotta try these things i guess. i wonder if evans has one in? i hear bike2work calling…

cheers chaps.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Im sure I read somewhere that Ben was trying that idea out. Its something I messed around on with my old enduro. Its a different bike with a different type of suspension but the theory is the same. The enduro was a bit soggy for normal riding so I worked out the leverage ratio and got a shorter travel shock from fleabay this dropped the travel to about 110-115 (from 150) I also had Wotans on the bike which have externally adjustable travel from 160-120. With the forks at full travel the bike was immense DH as it was so slack and the back end was no longer soggy but because the seat angle was much slacker too it was a pain to climb. With the forks dropped to 120 the original angles were more or less restored and it would go uphill ok. The BB was very low and the handling was sped up making it much more nimble between the trees.

Like the Enduro the Prophet has adjustable geometry via the shock mount and this can be used to fine tune the handling and bb height.

And another thing. When looking at the geo for the Prophet take note if its in FR shock mount (low bb) or XC shock mount (high bb).

HTH

bristolsurfer
    Free Member

Pretty sure the Prophet has a BB height just under 13" (330mm) with a 140mm fork & the shock set in the FR mode

Ben_Haworth

Prophet BB is not high. 13in unsagged iirc.

furry_marmot
    Free Member

Sinister Gruitr. 4.5" – 6.5" depending on shock length and position. will take up to 180mm fork if you so desire, but handles best around the 140-160 mark. loads of standover height, v. manoeuvrable and incredibly good fun. climbs remarkably well for something the designers describe as a "mini DH bike". med. frame weighs 7lbs with an air shock. I *love* mine.

VanHalen

evans are out of stock of the prophet. and no more expected. bugger. thats where our companied b2w is.

sooo as i've seen a few snapped ones (which is why i would like to have gone new) what is cannondale after-sales like if i go second hand? i appreciate i'd have to purchase new bits but are they ok?

cheers

I_Ache
    Free Member

What about a pitch? Evens do Spech dont they?

Get the Comp and change the shock = great bike.

Ben_Haworth

no company will do warranty stuff on a second hand frame.. getting spares/repairs for cannondale is usually very good though IME.

VanHalen

cant abide how specs ride. i dunno why. i tried one (SX) a while ago and it was shit.

expect a clearout on the classifieds soon. anyone want a norco shore or a dmr exalt frames? going cheap.

oh, and a wanted ad.

bristolsurfer
    Free Member

Prophet on Mtb-wales.com

No idea if its still for sale but its a nicely specced bike

z1ppy

evans are out of stock of the prophet. and no more expected.
    Cannondale are apparently phasing out the Prophet this year, so if there gone there gone… (unless they change there minds)

as i've seen a few snapped ones
    Prophets? Can't say I've ever have (R_R off here damaged his mounting holes) – though I don't doubt some one some-where has broken one (no manufacturer can claim that)

nickc

Had a nicolia Helius. It was cool, if a little "numb" gone back to hardtails

jfeb
    Free Member

Re Cannondale warranty – last I heard they didn't have a UK distributor so chasing up warranty claims was a bit of an issue. Apparently they are pretty good at honouring the warranty, it just a bit of a hassle

Ben_Haworth

They have a UK guy (Mike Cotty) who is very helpful.

hitman
    Free Member

Sounds like you need a short travel full susser
    I'm in a similar position to you and went for a Whyte E120 although at the moment still getting used to it 🙂

Ben_Haworth

He wants something slack up front and low slung.

hitman
    Free Member

OK Ben, just thought I'd suggest as he already has freeride bike and hardtail , thought it would fill the gap

jsm

Turner 5-spot and swap the rockers out for pushed rockers?

Kramer
    Free Member

Scott Genius?

judderman
    Free Member

Whyte 46, stopped making them a couple years ago but you can get them 2nd hand at very good prices. Excellent spec, lightweight and you can adjust rear travel from 4" to 6" by a quick release lever, none of the swapping rockers etc. The head angle is not particulary slack and the bottom bracket is quite high but then you cant have everything! If you can get past the way they are slated by people who have never ridden one and actually ride one you will be very supprised. I sold mine and brought an E120 and after just over a year of riding it Im not sure if I made the correct decision.

steve_b77
    Free Member

You MUST BUY one of these 😀

A snip at Euro 4000

DrDolittle
    Free Member

He wants something slack up front and low slung.

Fnar fnar!

chakaping
    Free Member

One of those Konas with the magic link? They must be going cheap by now.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘What 4-6" adjustable full suss frame do i want? not cotic.’ is closed to new replies.