• This topic has 37 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Rik.
Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • What 29er/road disc wheels?
  • anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

So, the bonty race 29er wheels I have on my commuter/audax/road hack/CX bike have stupid ally nipples, which have all cracked and crumbled away like cheese from a combination of road salt and heavy loads. Plus the spare brass nipples I have stockpiled are too long.

Plus I want to do Exmouth Exodus (and back) this weekend coming, so what off-the-peg or prompt custom build wheels should I get?

I’ve been thinking of some ‘nice’ wheels to do audaxes etc on, then I can leave the CX rubber and ice spikes on the others when I get round to chopping all the nipples out and renippling them (a LONG job!).

I was thinking maybe Hope ProIII hubs and open pros? I run 32c rubber at the mo, but I’d be nice to be able to run 23c slicks and say 28cs on them.

Any ideas? Have to be disc compatible, as I run BB7’s.

clubber
    Free Member

If it’s a real emergency and you can get the bits, I’ll sort you out. Email me…

nedrapier

I built myself some Open Pro CD (grey ano braking surfaces) on SLX 29er hubs (could have gone fancier, but on a budget) pretty happy with them, had 28c gatorskins and 2.0 race kings with no problems.

cynic-al
    Free Member

MTFU, get some std brass nipples & sort it 😡

Seriously dunno – but if you are buying new wheels and intend to keep them it makes sense to buy something nicer…open pros are v. good, but alpha’s are the lightest, I’d go LX or XT on latter.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Cheers clubber.

al I would sort it if I had time this week to relace some wheels. I don’t. Partic as I’m having to chop the old nipples out with a nail and hammer.

Erring away from shimmy hubs – I dislike cun n cone, and I don’t want to have to use centrelock discs. Though Hope 4 bolt ProII would be just as incompatible with all my other 6 bolts hubs … but they are sexy …

Open Pro CD are pretty rare arn’t they? I guess I’m asking what disc specific road/narrow 29er rim?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

disc specific road/narrow 29er rim

there aren’t very many. ztr ones are pricey and too wide for 23mm tyres. i’ve got some halo aerotracks that work well and have no braking surface, or as above some open pro CD rims.

Most bikes with disc 700c wheels in the shops are usually running heavy-ish 29er rims and 28mm slicks.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Too busy? Out meeting girls and doing stuff are we? 🙄

Hammer and nail? IIRC bolt cutters are good at destroying the nipples.

Seriously…looking for disc-specific high-end/light rims is a bit silly – anything light will be road-specific. Silver open-pros don’t exactly shout “I’m a road rim” though.

If I lived down your way I’d help you out…

EDIT and are you panicing a bit needlessly? Are your wheels about to collapse?

If you htink the nipples will take ages to destroy then they can’t be in that bad shape. Replace what’s needed for now and rebuild properly after!

jfeb
    Free Member

I guess I’m asking what disc specific road/narrow 29er rim?

Why do they need to be disc-specific? Surely any good CX 700cc rim will serve your purposes? A braking surface on the rim is immaterial, isn’t it?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

EDIT and are you panicing a bit needlessly? Are your wheels about to collapse?

If you htink the nipples will take ages to destroy then they can’t be in that bad shape. Replace what’s needed for now and rebuild properly after!

No panic here homeboy. The nipples disintergrate if I slap a spoke key on them (if they’re there at all) and I can’t get a driver on the other end, as there is too much spoke sticking through the head. Using circlip pliers to budge them round with the slot either side just results in the nipple head crumbling. Hence chopping out. Takes time. Time I don’t have this week. I’m happy and perfectly capable of sorting them out myself, in my own time. This was not my question though.

They may last 320k, they may not. Train back not an option, due to first great turds being a-holes. Lift back not option.

Hence as I’d already considered getting some nice wheels, I just thought I’d ask … if that is OK with you Dad?

Why do they need to be disc-specific? Surely any good CX 700cc rim will serve your purposes? A braking surface on the rim is immaterial, isn’t it?

Braking surfaces look horrid IMO. If I’ve spunking wonga on new wheels. I want nice wheels.

23mm slicks isn’t essential. Just as narrow as poss.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Jeez, only trying to help! what you’d said seems inconsistent, that’s all.

And fair enough re. braking surfaces, I just mostly go for function over form.

Are you gonna need a hug in Setepmerb?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

😀

More than a hug I think.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Join the queue 😎

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Mavic SpeedCity for off-the-shelf-disc-and-rim-700c-and-29er win 🙂 Perhaps not the lightest, but they seem buttery smooth and have been bomb-proof for me so far.

EDIT: does have a braking surface. Halo Aerotrak are light, stiff, strong (non-eyeletted mind) – these have been equally solid as my ‘other’ set of 700c disc wheels

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

They look pretty good, cheers!

nedrapier

Open Pro CD tick your boxes. The ones you’ve told us about, anyway! Narrow, decent weight, popular CX rim, so strong enough, no silver braking surface.

Don’t think they’re that rare. My LBS didn’t have a problem getting them in. If you’re ordering over the net, make sure you know what you’re getting. I’ve seen plenty of places advertising “Open Pro CD” against pics of the normal version.

Pic in a bikey context if you’re interested. 28c tyres. Mavic labels now taken off.

clubber
    Free Member

The Halo aerorage rims I have also come in ‘disc’ version (actually a fixie **** version 🙂 ) called ‘aerotrack’. They’re reasonably light and cheap.

Spokes from sdeals.com

hubs – aren’t american classic quite cheap and light – njee is always recommending them IIRC.

Funny though I’ve been thinking of discing up the front of my cx.

clubber
    Free Member

and obviously you’d have to go for the purple version 🙂

thehustler
    Free Member

rear wheel

Halfrauds do a v cheap (£40ish per wheel) off the peg disc 700 wheel, but it is quite a wide rim, maybe these could get you thru until you can rebuild your own

brassneck

Halfrauds do a v cheap (£40ish per wheel) off the peg disc 700 wheel, but it is quite a wide rim, maybe these could get you thru until you can rebuild your own

Or Merlin are doing a pair of M475 on some cannondale rims for £58 if you’re signed up to their mailing list. 6 bolt hubs of indeterminate lifespan if you check my thread.

If they ever show up I’ll tell you what they look like in the flesh 🙂

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Thanks guys. If I buy another wheelset, they’ll be for best, so I don’t need another run-of-the-mill wheelset.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Open Sport are a touch wider than Open Pro and a lot cheaper if that’s an issue.Or go for some beast of a rim Rigida Sputniks!

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

These look lovely:
    http://www.justridingalong.com//shop.php?product=7262&jras=05cjf7p6q0leju9a0q3oh4sdb5

Ally nipples again though 😐

21mm rim too. 17-19mm would be better for me.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Too busy meeting girls and doing stuff to order new bits in and self-build?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Pretty much, yah. I was really cuising for ideas.

ProIII SP XC-6 – can only get them built into 26″ wheels, not sep.

Am Classic – can only get 32h jobbers

DT swiss/shimmy – meh cup n cone.

Open pro CD – can only get 32h jobbers.

Seems I want the moon on a stick. So I may as well keep my money.

clubber
    Free Member

Am Classic – can only get 32h jobbers

Open pro CD – can only get 32h jobbers.

What’s wrong with that? even I don’t kill 32h wheels…

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I’m not worried about killing them – the bonty’s are 28h. I want flash wheels innit?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Next year you’ll probbers see some light, 28H, non-braking surface rim, disc ready 700c wheels off the shelf, but for now yes you are seeking moon on a stick!

CraigW
    Free Member

What about Mavic A317 Disc?
    Disc specific, available in 36 hole, and cheaper than Open Pros. Though a bit wide for 23mm tyres.

clubber
    Free Member

Ah, right – think that the aerotracks come in 28
    EDIT – no they don’t 🙁

28h disc hubs is going to be tricky unless you spend serious money.

Why not go 32 and live with the very slight extra weight as it’s a much more practical combo.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Ah well, I guessed as much. I guess I’ll just have to risk it again this weekend.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Ah, right – think that the aerotracks come in 28

Aye, they’re also 450g and faux deep section fixie knobber stylee 😉 if I was going to do some on the cheap, maybe. The whole custom wheel build is probably the way to go, but I doubt I’ll have made my mind up any time soon on which rim/hub combo to plump for.

The am classic hub open pro CD rim 32h w/dt revs combo would be an ace set of wheels. Only they’re north of £500 and not exactly what I want. So why would I do that? If they were £500 and exactly what I wanted, no problem.

A317’s are 597g!

martyh
    Free Member

ned – any chance you could give a full build list (hub, spokes, rotors etc..) of that open pro cd wheelset you have above?
    I’d like to do something similar to that, it looks great!

rOcKeTdOg

ive got DT swiss 470 rims, work very well with Cx rubber and fatter tyres, won’t work too well with 25mm road tyres though

GaryLake
    Free Member

If you’re really desperate for the event (i.e. you haven’t sorted anything) you can just borrow the wheels off my Cotic X…

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Holey thread resurection!

So the rear rim of this Bonty wheelset got trashed in the RTC which also broke my collarbone.

Any bright ideas beyond Open Pro CD 32h and Halo Aerotrack 32h?

I’d like a 28h 23mm OD 19mm ID rim to rebuild the existing wheel … otherwise it is new wheel or even new wheelset time, and while the insurance may pay up for that, I thought I’d ask.

After I’d spent ages re-nippling the darn thng too 😡

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

The nae tubes alpha may be what I’m looking for, comes in 28h, depending on rim width:

http://www.justridingalong.com//shop.php?product=6370&jras=05cjf7p6q0leju9a0q3oh4sdb5

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

If anyone is reading this, justridingalong sorted me out beautifully with a velocity A23:

http://www.justridingalong.com//shop.php?product=11498

Just £40 too, bargin!

Velocity A23 17.8mm ID / 22.7mm OD / 28h black / disc specific

Rik
    Free Member

I got some 28h bontrager scandium rims off eBay new 50 quid posted for the pair. Race lite x rims

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘What 29er/road disc wheels?’ is closed to new replies.