Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • What 10 year old 4×4 for…..
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

….this

& this?

Needs to be cheap, durable, diy repairable, have good cheap spares availability, can tow a three ton trailer and be handy off road.

I bought the Shogun to replace a Tdi Discovery. The Shogun was a much better buy. I paid £1400 at auction for it with a new MOT. Four years on the scrapyard will give me £1000 for it for export. MOT and tax run out at the end of November, so I’d imagine with winter knocking on the door, 4x4s will be at a premium.

I’m after something at the bottom of the depreciation cycle that will have three or four years running left in it. I’m pretty handy with mechanical bits and welding.

So what is out there as a 4×4 that fits my needs?

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Shed loads of cheap Range Rovers out there, with lots of faults like electric windows knackered but otherwise good mechanically (well, as good mechanically as anything from the LR is, which is to say not really)

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Another Shogun?

In fact, if yours still works why are you changing it?

lazybike
    Free Member

anything Toyota…

mcmoonter
    Free Member

‘Another Shogun?

In fact, if yours still works why are you changing it?’

There is a bit of chassis corrosion near the tank and its starting to emit some worrying black smoke when towing. I’ll take it for its MOT and see what else is lurking. I dont want to spend a lot on it if its not for long in this life.

I think they kept making te same model up to ’98

cranberry
    Free Member

A 10 year old Land Rover would only just be nicely run in.

Needs to be cheap, durable, diy repairable, have good cheap spares availability, can tow a three ton trailer and be handy off road.

Seems silly that you didn’t just go out and buy a Defender in the first place.

🙂

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

I had an Isuzu Trooper. 3.1TD. Was great for towing, reliable and cheapish to run. cheap to buy as well.

all the electrics except the air con worked in mine and it was 15 years old when i sold it.

donsimon
    Free Member

Pajero (only because I can get away with saying it without fear of a ban).

5thElefant
    Free Member

Jeep Cherokee. The 4L straight 6 is the best one if you don’t mind 20mpg.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

A few years ago I did one of those offroad Land-Rover based thingies – part of a stag do.

The organisers reckoned that the smart thing to do was to look for the auctions where the army get rid of their landrovers – as they will have been fully maintained up until their end-of-life.

passtherizla
    Free Member

10 year old landies aren’t £1400 they’re more like £5000+

sobriety
    Free Member

The organisers reckoned that the smart thing to do was to look for the auctions where the army get rid of their landrovers – as they will have been fully maintained up until their end-of-life.

But utterly, utterly thrashed by their users…

5lab

frontera? might be a bit too old now

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Defenders are way overpriced for what they are. Most of the electrics on the Discovery didnt work. Everything on the Shogun still does, including cruise control and the sunroof. Stuff I’ve never used.

So I had kind of written off Land Rover products until I just found this….

http://www4.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201140418974772/sort/priceasc/usedcars/price-to/3000/price-from/1000/seller-type/private_adverts/model/range_rover/make/land_rover/postcode/ky25ut/page/1/radius/1501?logcode=p

titusrider
    Free Member

🙂

downshep

If you don’t fancy another Shogun, try a Terrano or Trooper.

TheFlyingOx

Toyota Hilux Surf?

cranberry
    Free Member

As someone who does like Land Rovers, I wouldn’t recommend a P38 Range Rover – they aren’t Solihull’s finest work.

theflatboy
    Free Member

land cruiser?

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Nissan Patrol

amedias
    Free Member

Hilux

I’ve got a 19 year old one, owned it for 7 years, and it has passed every MOT in that time. Only work I’ve ever done on it is replace front brake pads, a steering idler arm, and a rear drive shaft UJ.

And for the first 4 years I had it was used for 4×4 events a couple of times a month so did not have an easy life.

Matt

will
    Free Member

At that price, and for what you want it to do, i’d say another Shogun.

k-sugden
    Free Member

Max tow weight on the Terrano is only 2700KG but otherwise as good as a Shogun but more comfortable and cheaper

Inbred456
    Free Member

Anything from landrover is a no no. I love them but only as a toy. Another shogun would be fine or a hi-lux.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

You’ve really got to love a Land Rover, I had an old ’63 IIA, I changed the engine twice and replaced most of the chassis. The chassis rust still hadn’t been addressed by the time I got the Discovery.

I had a look at some other Shoguns last night. There are still some good cheap ones out there.

cozz
    Free Member

hilux wont tow that trailer as well as your shogun did

defenders will cost A LOT mor ethan your budget

Cherokee’s will need uprated heavy duty springs for that work

get another shogun – or better a Trooper

nickf
    Free Member

Nissan Patrol? You’d not have to pay much more than £2k to get something reasonable, I shouldn’t think, though they can suffer from rusty chassis rails.

But to be honest, another Shogun is probably the better answer.

Woody
    Free Member

Whatever you decide, you need to get in quick. I was looking last year and after the first little snow flurry prices doubled or trebled in the older models.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘What 10 year old 4×4 for…..’ is closed to new replies.