Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • whaddya reckon? warranty issue?
  • Bregante

Bought a set of Manitou forks new in Feb last year. They have a 15mm qr and this afternoon after fitting a new front tyre I’ve gone to nip up the qr and the plastic cam under the lever which provides the “leverage” has disintegrated, rendering it unusable.

I’ve emailed the shop to see what they say as a new qr is £80 and am awaiting a reply. I’ve probably only had cause to undo the qr a dozen or so times in the last year so it’s not had a great deal of use. Any thoughts?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Definitely. Not even a year in, so warranty for sure. Even a few years in I’d still push for it as while the thing wears with use, you expect a QR to last a good many years.

Junkyard
    Free Member

plastic was not a good idea was it

I agree with above but thing they will disagree
    Problem is we dont know how many times you used it

And £80 is taking the piss assuming they say no can you not just improvise with a cam from a Skewer or seat clamp?
    I suspect an engineer can make you one easily enough

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stumpy01

Jeez. I wouldn’t want a bit of plastic in there.

I had a QR seatpost with a plastic bush and it was dead in about 4 weeks.

Replaced it with a brass one and it’s been fine for several years.

As above, you could probably get an engineering company to make you one of those bits out of brass for a lot less than £80…..

Bregante

I’d have to look at that Junkyard as I really dont want to shell out £80 but to be honest I haven’t a clue how I’d fit the damn thing as it doesn’t look like it’s going to come apart easily.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Is that not an allen key on the lever?

If not drill it out and fit a bolt after putting cam in

Sure someone with skillz and tools on here can help I dont have either just ideas

chakaping
    Free Member

Sorry I can’t make any useful comment, but…

a new qr is £80

😯

chakaping
    Free Member

Actually – Did you get them from CRC when they were punting really cheap Manitous out?

If so, definitely try warranty – I’ve found them really helpful in the past.

Bregante

Jukyard – no its not an allen bolt unfortunately but looks like some custom part (larger diameter on one side than the other)
    Chakaping – Yep – CRC. Will wait and see what they say.

Bregante

Well – Thanks to a very helpful chap called Glen at CRC, a new qr15 is on its way to me free of charge. They have said that this wouldn’t usually be covered by warranty (claiming user error?) but I’m not going to argue. Result.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Nice one, glad it was resolved FOC.

That’s definitely a design fault, using a plastic cam there is idiotic to say the least…and £80 for a new axle is taking the proverbial. If someone quoted that sort of money to me, I’d want their head on a pole.

nemesis
    Free Member

Experience says that many people massively over-tighten bolts and yes, QRs – Understandable of course but that’s usually what leads to plastic parts like the OP’s failing. The key question then is what does the manual say? If there’s no mention of how tight to do it up then it’s always going to be debateable.

I can see why they’d claim user error but it’s good to hear that they still replaced it FOC.

Junkyard
    Free Member

All Hail CRC now take it apart and get something metal ASAP

Bregante

That’s my plan with the old one – which they haven’t asked me to return 😉

stumpy01

Bregante – Member

Well – Thanks to a very helpful chap called Glen at CRC, a new qr15 is on its way to me free of charge. They have said that this wouldn’t usually be covered by warranty (claiming user error?) but I’m not going to argue. Result.

Glad they’ve sorted it, but if they are claiming user error I’d want to know what I should be doing in the future to stop it happening again. And if the answer is ‘don’t over-tighten it’, I’d ask how much is ‘over tight’….

Bregante

As I said I’m just happy to get a free replacement so I can try to sort a longer term solution made of brass or similar so I’m not going to push it. Suffice to say I’m happy I’ve never “over tightened it”

Any engineers viewing this fancy giving it a go? Happy to pay.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘whaddya reckon? warranty issue?’ is closed to new replies.