Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Wellies
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

Who makes good wellies? Not silly expensive hooray henry ones, just good comfy warm wellies for gardening and walking the dogs. But not cheap and nasty ones because they break too soon.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

WTF

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What do you call “silly expensive”?

Le Chameau are my tip, BTW.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    timbur
    Free Member

Dunlop ones for £10 from my local fishing shop.
    Ideal for the garden.
    Not sure about longevity (sp?)

wwaswas

I find the fact that a site called ‘Garden4Less’ is one of the early results if you search for these quite ironic 😉

camo16
    Free Member

Mastiles, WTF wellies are well expensive.

druidh
    Free Member

Hunters.

Cheap wellies seem to be made of a brittle plastic which cracks when cold and/or subjected to nasty chemicals (like horse piss). A pair of Hunters will last you ages/forever and are better fitting than most others – especially around the ankle.

PS – you can get them in black if you’re worried about your image.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Wellies, mastiles, are rubber boots that us down in the lower classes like to mooch about in when it’s too muddy to wear a pair of dandy brogue shit flickers.

CFH – I could be persuaded to spend £40-50 if they were going to last well, but beyond that is pushing it.

ourmaninthenorth

Argyll – farmer’s version of Hunters. Not to be confused with Aigle, which are posh.

But none as posh as Le Chameau.

EDIT: Argyll are in c£40 territory.

crispo
    Free Member

If youre after the £50 price then just get some Hunters, theyre nothing special but theyre well made, comfy and mine have seen me good for years now and still as good as the day I got them (just a bit muddier)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Argylls are pretty good.
    Hunters, however, scream chav. FACT.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Ah, those Argyll ones look about right.

ansdy

I was looking at hunters but was advised to try buck-boots. neoprene lined so nice and comfy and warm. cheaper than hunters too!

druidh
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    Argylls are pretty good.
    Hunters, however, scream chav. FACT.

Argylls ARE Hunters 🙄

KennySenior
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion – Member
    WTF

I can’t believe a man who started a thread because someone on the telly said ‘poo’ is WTFing a reasonable (albeit boring – sorry TGA) question about wellies.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

druidh, they are made by the same company, but they don’t have the same chav cachet.

richc
    Free Member

FYI Countrywide have a sale on at the moment 25% off some Argyll hunters, I am tempted to get some, as constant walking in mud seems to rot my walking boots as they never get to dry out properly.

headfirst
    Free Member

Dunlop ones for £10

+1

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Rigger boots are what you need

the faux fur lined Dickes ones from Wickes

Comfy and Cool

Karinofnine

Hunters used to be good, but they moved production to China and now they’re overpriced crap. Anyway, wellies are cold cold cold. They may be cheap but they split in a few months. I use Toggi Canyon boots for dog walking duties, waterproof and toasty feet too. Gardening? Surely one’s gardener deals with that sort of thing 😉

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I have Hunters and some John Norris neoprene lined wellies, the Hunters are a far better fit and are good for walking in. John Norris often have factory seconds at half price or less.
    Never seen a chav wearing wellies!

jwr

Muck Boots are my choice. Warm, comfortable and very well made.

J

Houns

Hunters are indeed Chav

Earlier this year a chavvy security guard at work turned up wearing a pair. He kept all the tags on ‘so people know they aye fake’

northshoreniall

If want warm look up muck boots or muddies, are a sort of neoprene covered welly so are quite toasty fro winter dog walking. Also come with different sole profiles, some more chunky versus waffle pattern like Muddies ones I picked up TKMAXX.

crispo
    Free Member

To be fair flashy I see where youre coming from……. 🙄

Markie
    Free Member

Dunlop.

jp-t853

There is a Danish company called Seeland that make excellent value boots. They are long so geat in water, they have a proper seperate sole so they are good for walking. Most standard wellies just have a rubber sole made from the same material as the boot and you feel every stone through them (Hunter classics are a perfect example).

Here is the LINK they are £36 for standard cotton & £50 for lovely warm neoprene. I have had the cotton ones for two years and they are worn a few times every week for dog walking, gardening etc

EDIT just noticed they are out of stock but worth a google

thegreatape
    Free Member

Thanks jp, have found a couple of sites with stock.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Love my Aigles.
    not cheap at 90 quid but good for a 2 hour dog walk.

Hunters = crap chinese rubber
    aigle handmade by some french maiden

mefty
    Free Member

Argylls

Dangerboy
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at wellies recently too.
    Really wanted some Grubs Stalkers – like Muck Boots but with a vibram sole. Couldn’t justify the cost though.

Didn’t want Hunters for reasons already discussed.

In the end I narrowed it down to:
    – Dickies Landmasters (~£50)
    – Dunlop Purofort+ (~£50) (both of these are PU, and if you go for the steel toecapped versions I believe that they are VAT exempt)
    Nokian Trek Plus (~£70, lovely but expensive)
    Superlight Stream (£35)

In the end I went with the superlights because they were the cheapest, and because the sole looked like it would last the longest.
    They seem OK but I’ve not had the chance to use them in anger yet…

godzilla
    Free Member

Le Chameau Veganord’s. Valbram sole and the liner was made for space men, vierzonord’s are a close second
    Aigle don’t fit me very well at all and Hunter’s and Just crap!

justatheory
    Free Member

My Mrs bought me some Hunter’s but I’m too embarrassed to wear them!

bazookajoe
    Free Member

For cheapness there’s the £10 ones from B&Q or Homebase – I’d rate the B&Q ones as a wee bit comfier though at that price neither are super durable I suppose (though depends how much you use them).

I was always skeptical about wellies (not had a pair since being a kid) but got a B&Q pair last October for a training course then when the snow came at the end of November they pretty much got worn everyday. Lasted 6 months, when they split at the side where the toes flex and a couple of teeny splits in the sole. Consequently got wet feet. Got a Homebase pair just after, that are doing the job down the beach, in the woods and will get well used when (hopefully) the snow and chaos comes again or even just round the wintery wet gritted streets with the dog! Not quite as comfy as the B&Q ones, but still fine for me. I get them slightly bigger sized – try them on in the shop with normal socks + thick, warm socks so they’ll be fine and toasty when needed.

Might be a bit too much info there, but you know what, I love my wellies!

EDIT: those superlites look nifty

richc
    Free Member

My missus has some hunters that she got for around £40 quid about 6 years ago, and she wears them everyday in the spring/autumn/winter, for a dog walking and they are still leak free and haven’t split.

So looking at the cheap B&Q one, it looks like they cost you £15 per year, so buying a decent pair seem to save you money after around 3 to 4 years use, and are warmer, more comfortable and grip better.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Best sailing boots.. like eva, fact.

Can also be used for walking dogs.

Lionheart
    Free Member

Wife wears wellies every and all day. The best ones last a year give or take a month, poor ones (inc Hunters) last 3 months max. The best mix of build, function and cost for her has been the Aigles.

I went down a mine two years ago for a visit and they leant me some Dunlop, yellow, safety wellies, neoprene lined. I spent a whole day in a cold damp environment (poss worse place I have ever been) in some of the most comfy footwear ever. Afterwards when I asked all about them they offered them to me, i felt I could not accept (daft decision) and have never found them since.

And what are those in the one above!!! Look like something ‘Flashy’ might wear?

bigG
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

+1 on Le Chameau, mine are still gonig strong despite a good few years of hard use.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

I have a pair of these:

Which are fantastic, but to be fair they do weigh as much as a small car 😀

Grubs stalker boots are where its at with the real outdoorsman rather than the wannabee faux countryman ponce a the moment though 8)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0053CA2LM/

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Wellies’ is closed to new replies.