Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Week in Mull – where to ride, worth taking a surfboard?
  • crustypaulus
    Free Member

I've got a week off in Mull – anyone ridden there before?

I'll mostly be looking for short rides as I'll be there with the kids, staying in the SE, at Croggan by Loch Spelve. Any singletrack to play in would be great.

Also, anyone surfed Iona or the south side of Mull?

13thfloormonk

Sorry for the slightly annoying advice, but what i saw of the roads in Mull would have me taking a road bike over a mountainbike any day! All sorts of daft switchbacks/corners/gradients…

We did see a little woodland walk beside Calgary bay, which i walked around grasping my virtual handlebars, nice wee trails but a bit 'cheeky'.

The map showed a trail north of Calgary bay that took you to one of the northern points of the Island, where reportedly the resident sea eagles have been seen taking Fulmar, could be an interesting wee expedition?

belgianbob

I rode in the road on Mull last summer… I'm glad I did, it's the wettest place on earth (although it's probably a lot drier now…) so maybe check that your bike won't sink before hitting the trails, or take a road bike!
    I'm pretty certain the surfing on Mull isn't top notch either; Lots of cliffs, very few beaches.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

great for road riding as suggested. Not so sure about mountain biking. and i also got very very wet on Mull this 'summer' 🙂

Wiksey
    Free Member

There are some good rides but not much could be described as technical or singletrack. I've mostly done rides based from the northern end of the island as we always stop in Tobs.
    Along the side of Loch Ba (from knock) would be do-able with kids in tow as it's pretty flat but it doesn't go all the way through.
    Glenforsa valley along to the bothy would be kid friendly too.
    I'll dig out some more info and email you if you want?

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

iirc there are a few waymarked forest trails north of tobermory

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Dont think the mtb is up to much (awaits flaming from local resident)On the sufing there's a huge fetch obviously so would have thought there would be potentially good surfing on the Atlantic side of Iona and the beaches around Fionnphort on the Ross of Mull.

If you are serious – try one of the kite / windsurfing forums and ask about Tiree. Big scene out there and many have probably tried Mull / Iona

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Week in Mull – where to ride, worth taking a surfboard?’ is closed to new replies.