Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Wear a helmet kids!
  • Harry_the_Spider

After my 4 year old nephew lost a few teeth in a bike shunt the other week we upgraded our little lad’s lid to a Trek Vapour Youth just before we went on holiday. Good job too 😯

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocSY6QsSnzg[/video]

His lip is a mess and the visor on the helmet took a beating but it probably saved his nose.

Running back to the holiday house with a blood soaked toddler isn’t something I want to repeat in a hurry but it could have been a lot worse. So, wear a helmet kids!

It was a proper proud dad moment when he asked to go out on it again the following day.

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

can’t just watch that once..

grahamh
    Free Member

And a helmet protect his teeth HOW????????????

Harry_the_Spider

It didn’t protect his teeth, but is stayed put when it was needed and saved his head.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

He’ll be along in a minute, everyone, don’t worry.

Muke
    Free Member

Oh the joys of the speed wobble face plant

Healing vibes to the nipper

mamadirt
    Free Member

Awww . . . fair play though – that’s some speed little guy!

allthepies
    Free Member

Man down

Rorschach
    Free Member

Needs a slacker head angle….obviously.Can you fit an angleset on it 😀

Harry_the_Spider

5 days later

boxelder

I see you took his front brake away…..;-)

Our lad had a clark kent moment over his bars onto the gritty/gravelly chin shredder that is the Keswick railway line. I had to load him and his bike into the trailer – much to little sisters horror – and make haste to the cottage hospital. Much blood.
    He did the same manouvre a year later onto tarmac, but that meant an evening trip to casualty. Chicks dig scars mind and he’s learned to keep it loose when the steering gets lairy.

mike88
    Free Member

Fit it over his forehead better and it will protect more of his head too! 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

kids just love the face plant. My youngest gets back on the bike and then sets of crying saying he will never ride again. Have toyed with getting a full face for off road action

rondo101
    Free Member

fourbanger
    Free Member

Actually, there is a compelling medical argument for young children to wear helmets.
    However, as for fully grown adults, the level of protection should match the level of risk.

HermanShake
    Free Member

The niche-ists are starting young. Single speed, rigid setup. He’ll be on a 29er before you know it!

Oh, and ouch! I remember doing something very similar, the blood…so much blood.

Good to see him chirpy after the crash though 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

so how will a badly fitted ~XC style helmet protect in a face plant? If you are going to wear a helmet / make him wear one for goodness sake fit it properly

Harry_the_Spider

Judging by the damage to the peak on the ill-fitting ~XC style helmet it did a bloody good job protecting his forehead and nose.

RustySpanner

Have you got your road bike yet Harry?

Harry_the_Spider

Not yet. It is locked in the store room above the work’s bogs. I’m back in tomorrow.

alpin
    Free Member

i’m calling social services.

Harry_the_Spider

Here he is not cocking it up. At the end he turns, like Donald Campbell, for one last fateful run.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5fpN0CRNrA[/video]

rangerbill

My son did similar when he was younger and the peak of his helmet saved his face. Im now that annoying git that goes round telling parents to adjust the helmet properly! Sorry, just dont like the thought of kids smashing faces on the ground.
    However, fantastic tankslapper and reminded me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmtoOmq3ppw

cookeaa

Ah the Nothe… grew up not too far away, used to clamber round on the rocks around there. Also had to visit Weymouth A+E once for a biking accident, don’t remember it though I was very concussed…

Healing Vibes, to the nipper, can’t watch those sort of accidents, once saw a 6-7 year old ride flat out face first into a tree at Chicksands, was not pleasant, My daughter needs a new Lid, how many companies make a toddler sized full facer?

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Might be worth investing in some spd’s too.

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

My daughter came off her bike a while ago doing around 25mph (on the run down from Rooley Moor). She went straight over the handlebars after a pothole induce tailslapper pitched her over.

The helmet took the brunt, but she still ended up with cuts and bruises to her legs, arms, shoulders, stomach and a tiny graze on the tip of her nose.

I’d hate to think what would have happened if she hadn’t been wearing a helmet.

BTW it was a cheap halfords one, nowt special, but it did exactly as designed.

Glad he’s back on his bike!

edhornby

no one going to do the gag about 250 notes for sending to harry hill??

actually there’s some good skillz on the second, glad to hear he’s back on the bike

konaboy2275
    Free Member

next time it could be a childs face…. Hope he’s ok 😀

Just taken the stabilisers off our 3 year olds bike this afternoon and he’s already doing laps of the lawn and heading for the step down onto the patio 😯

Time for him to put his helmet on! Luckily he hasn’t learnt how to set off properly without help yet though!

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Missus has just pissed herself laughing at this!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Wear a helmet kids!’ is closed to new replies.