• This topic has 40 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Kit.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Waterproof shorts
  • marco
    Free Member

As above, gonna need some soon
    Which waterproof shorts for around £40 – £50?
    Cheers

simonjj
    Free Member

Bought some Altura Attack 3/4’s yesterday and got some discount, might be worth trying Merlin…
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/psa-10-altura-discount

z1ppy

Just got my altura attack’s out for tonight’s ride, not tried any others but like these a lot

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I’ve always thought that the idea of waterproof shorts as a bit of a contradiction in terms..

TimCotic
    Free Member

Nope – waterproof shorts are great – a sopping wet sore arse on a long ride is NOT something you want!

I think they are discontinued now – but DON’T get the Endura Stealth 3/4 shorts. They were expensive but all the seam tapes came unglued and so I’d find white tapes hang out of the legs every ride, and the pockets went through in about 2 rides. Other Endura stuff has been great but those particular shorts were appalling.
    Good Luck!

mattjg
    Free Member

Army surplus gore-tex over trousers, pull them up or cut off the legs.

singletracksurfer

My Endura MT500 3/4’s have been great.
    The shorts version died very quickly though.

Northwind

Love my Altura Attacks, one pair is nearly dead but then they’ve been used constantly, crashed constantly, and then washed without any special care or attention for years. Maybe the best cycling kit I’ve ever bought.

hora
    Free Member

Endura superlite here. Failed after 4 rides at the usual place. I’ve got the warranty replacement shorts unused and unsure if I’d risk it again.

mintimperial

Altura Attack 3/4s here, mine are over two years old, have been used heavily, and are still going strong.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Nope, still don’t get it – Chamoix cream does the trick for me ref a wet arse.

avdave2

I’ve got 3/4 Attacks that have been great for 3 winters of off road commuting. I’ve now got some Semi Drys as well and actually they now get used the most as it’s rarely actually raining but the route I ride is wet and muddy for months of the year. Only the back panel is waterproof but the rest of them dry very quickly if it does rain.

Northwind

mrlebowski – Member

Nope, still don’t get it – Chamoix cream does the trick for me ref a wet arse.

How?

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Do you know what the purpose of Chamoix cream is?

pictonroad

do we prefer 3/4’s or shorts on the Altura’s? I need to purchase some waterproof shorts too.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I have the shorts but find them a bit on the short side compared to normal baggies so I got a pair of the 3/4s for this winter. Not tried them on the bike yet.

FarmersChoice
    Free Member

Evans are doing the Altura Attack 3/4’s for £50 which is cheaper than Merlin even with the extra 10%.

Northwind

mrlebowski – Member

Do you know what the purpose of Chamoix cream is?

Yep, and none of it helps with a cold wet bum. So, any chance of answering the question?

hora
    Free Member

Foigghhht!

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Yep, and none of it helps with a cold wet bum. So, any chance of answering the question?

It’s worked for me on many a cold wet long ride, perhaps your derrière is a tad on the soft side?

munrobiker
    Free Member

Madison or Altura are best for this, the Endura ones for £50 are very badly made.

mrlebowski- you don’t get them, we all do, perhaps there’s another thread you could be contributing to?

sambob
    Free Member

In contrast to munrobiker, my Madison Tempest shorts were awfully made and I returned them after two weeks, but my Endura Superlites have been absolutely superb for over a year.

Northwind

mrlebowski – Member

It’s worked for me on many a cold wet long ride

But what does it do for you? If it’s just stopping chafing, it’s no wonder you’re missing the point.

I have a cast iron arse from too many miles on motorbikes, never needed chamois cream or for that matter chamois. But trenchcock is worth deterring

hora
    Free Member

Trenchcock? 😆

mrlebowski
    Free Member

But what does it do for you? If it’s just stopping chafing, it’s no wonder you’re missing the point.

What more do you need? If you’re cold, ride harder & you’re going to wet anyway so just MTFU I think. You’re only going to get immersion (or trenchcock as you call it) issues if you’re post ride admin is bad..

Northwind

mrlebowski – Member

you’re going to wet anyway

Really, really missing the point. The clue is the word “waterproof”.

avdave2

3/4’s for me with knee high SealSkinz in the winter.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Really, really missing the point. The clue is the word “waterproof”.

Not at all, perhaps I’m just not as scared of a little water as some.

Northwind

Very good 😆 See, this is why people listen more to the opinions of people who have some relevant experience, rather than those whose main contribution is “I don’t get it.”

yorlin
    Free Member

‘trenchcock’ 😯

Trenchfoot used to glue people’s feet into their boots…

marco
    Free Member

Cheers all for the relevant replies.
    Looks like altura attacks are the fave.
    Deffo don’t want trench cock!!

avdave2

Just be aware that the attacks come up big for sizing.

headpotdog
    Free Member

Just got myself a pair of the Altura Attack shorts too for this weekends Mary Towneley Loop Challenge.

BARGAIN at £37.99 from Chevin Cycles!!!

mrmo
    Free Member

used a set of Endura superlights?, they seem ok, length is a bit wrong though, i have fairly long femours i guess, so they end on my knee.

used them this morning for the road commute, Road bike has SKS full length mudguards, which don’t stop the spray from lorries hitting your back, and doesn’t deal with the run off from the goretex jacket running down and soaking shorts and pad after a while. Putting on wet shorts for the ride home isn’t a favourite thing.

Use them on the mtb, i don’t like mudguards, i am not particularly fond of trashing my arse with grit.Helps keep me warmer in cold wet weather. I don’t wear baggy shorts as i can’t see the point in hot weather of wearing two pairs of shorts, I don’t like things flapping around, i see no point in contents in pockets banging things against legs. But in cold wet weather i accept the compromise that waterproof shorts are.

for 5-6hrs on the mtb it is nice to stay a little drier and hence a little more comfortable.

FFS Chamois cream is not a substitute, it has a very different purpose!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Endura Superlites for me. Went for shorts over 3/4s so I can wear knee-pads.
    Only tend to wear them when its lashing down, mudguard does a far better job of keeping my arse dry.

Oh, they’re ace.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

i have some endura superlites i literally wore once in a rain day, that ill sell, fit didnt do it for me (bought some gore ones instead), if any ones interested in them in medium? might be a few rainy/muddy marks but other than that the are brand new to look at!

BlindMelon
    Free Member

I’d avoid the Madison Tempest as well. Poorly made and boil in the bag

Macavity
    Free Member
    joec73
    Free Member

How does the sizing go for most people, normally would buy small for a 30 waist but they seem to be pointing to a medium?

joec73
    Free Member

^^^^ for Altura Attacks

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Waterproof shorts’ is closed to new replies.