Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Waterproof Flat Shoes
  • alexpalacefan

Hi there,

5:10 user here, finally had enough of having sopping wet 2kg shoes on each foot after riding.

Got Sealskinz on, so feet not wet, just bloody heavy and the shoes take forever to dry.

So, what shoe that will give me the same sort of grip, and keep the water out?

Suggestions welcome,

ALex

elaineanne
    Free Member

god knows…. i also wear 5.10’s so i would be interested if any has found some waterproof shoes….other than that i guess those overshoe thingys mite be an idea ?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Vans gravel??

Water replelent vans

rickon
    Free Member

The Teva Links have got a water-resistant coating on them, and apparently are quite good. Colours are a bit 90s, but if they do the job…

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Teva-Links-Shoe-review-2011.html

jedi

i use canvas nike 6.0 melee shoes they dry easy

deanfbm
    Free Member

The teva’s a pretty good.

They’re not water proof as such, but they don’t get water logged.

You can happily ride around in wet weather and your feet stay dry. But they don’t keep your feet dry if you’re trapsing around in deep puddles. They’re certainly far better at dealing with water than your typical pair of trainers, but not waterproof.

They’re much like a technical soft shell, they fight a good fight, but give in when it’s hammering down.

I’m most impressed by their comfort, grip, feel and general quality.

wynne
    Free Member

Just don’t go too deep

XXX
    Free Member

these

No really, sole is as longer lasting and much grippier than both set of shimano’s I have owned, they are as waterproof with some wax and light as a feather….
    Any takers?

jedi

85 quid for a sole with a heal????? for riding??? 🙂

toys19
    Free Member

I always used to use walking boots/shoes. I find the 5.10’s grip excellently but its mega crap that an mtb shoe has a cardboard inner sole and isnt waterproof. 85 quid for a pair of crap trainers really.

come on 5.10 gore tex shoe please.

XXX
    Free Member

Yep heels and all, most folk do laugh but never paid more than £50 from ebay. Some things just work that shouldn’t I guess…

lister

A few years back I spilt some clear external wood varnish on my Airwalks.
    The upper toe box went a bit rigid for a while but softened up and remained really (as in water beading) waterproof until the soles wore through.
    I then deliberately painted an old pair of Vans in the same stuff with the same results.
    It works.
    Really!

chiefgrooveguru

My old AM40s put up a pretty good fight against the weather. I have some Teva Links waiting in the wings for when they finally fall apart which are really nice – too nice to cover in mud until I have to…

alexpalacefan

Lister, external wood varnish eh?

How much, a slight coating or really soak it in?

Think I might go for this.

APF

lister

The spillage was a fair soaking and I nearly binned them to be honest, but the painting on worked just as well and you can always top it up with another coat.
    Bear in mind these are mostly suede trainers that soaked up the varnish, as opposed to synthetic breathable shoes that let liquid in easily…

chiefgrooveguru

My old AM40s put up a pretty good fight against the weather. I have some Teva Links waiting in the wings for when they finally fall apart which are really nice – too nice to cover in mud until I have to… If it’s hideous I wear sealskins but a good wool sock can feel warm and comfy when pretty wet.

buttercup
    Free Member

They have this aquaphobic shoe treatment that lasts quite a while and makes the fabric completely resistant to all liquids.

I can’t think of the name of it right now but will get back to you.

alexpalacefan

Buttercup, that sounds good. Looking forward to hearing from you.

APF

seosamh77
    Free Member

north face goretex.

rossi46
    Free Member

I have these and i love them! They are designed with Carp Fishing in mind but they are lovely on the bike with flat pedals too. Nice and sticky (pedal grip that is!), waterproof, very comfy, soles not too hard or soft, at £39.99 they are way cheaper than the usuals and if you dont like the camoflage colour they come in black with red detailing too!

Diem TT Skate Shoes

rossi46
    Free Member

Or, take your usual favourite shoes and coat them in Nikwax. They do stuff for most type of shoe- suede, leather etc.

Worked a treat on my summer Sidi motorcycle boots!

epicyclo

alexpalacefan – Member
    …Got Sealskinz on, so feet not wet, just bloody heavy and the shoes take forever to dry.
    So, what shoe that will give me the same sort of grip, and keep the water out?

How about looking at it the other way? Go for the sort of shoe lets the water out quickly, and leave the SealSkinz to do the whole job of keeping your foot dry.

I use Keen sandals, but if you don’t want to grow a beard, you could get a pair of those trainers with mesh uppers which would do the same job.

bigbloke
    Free Member

rossi46……..

those Diem TT shoes, what is the footbed/sole like is it super stiff like the bike specific shoes (sometimes too much so) or is it too soft like say a baseball boot sole which would be almost painful. In the pics it does look more like the baseball type.

Enlighten me, i have 5.10’s which grip like a beast but ride like a pair of paving slabs when moist. Currently using Salomon trail shoes which are great but sole does slip sometimes especially when damp.

alexpalacefan

Loads of good stuff here, thanks all.

Not sure if a solution immediately presents itself. As some have said, the 5:10s really are good on the pedals.

I guess the way forward is some way to stop ’em soaking up too much water. They’re never going to keep the water out, it just runs down the leg.

I think I’ll go with the Nikwax stuff. Really soak it in, so they don’t get too heavy and then leave the sealskinz to keep my feet dry.

APF

toys19
    Free Member

I have considered buying a decent waterproof shoe and resoleing it with stealth rubber a supplier here does it..

footflaps

If you get a softer soled Approach shoe with a GTX liner, they grip pretty well with Flat pedals – have a look in Cotswold etc….

IvanDobski
    Free Member

My Teva Links are more water resistant than my 5.10s but still give in eventually. Dry a bit quicker and keep smelling fresher though which is a bonus.

rossi46
    Free Member

those Diem TT shoes, what is the footbed/sole like

They are pretty much the same as my previous pair of Vans, which i owned several pairs of since the beginning of time till the Diem’s came out.
    Perfect when paired up with my DMR’s.
    I generally ride flats when playing silly buggers over jumps/ downhill etc, so soles that arent like planks of wood helps.

So theyre soft but not too soft.

For proper rides i wear my usual summer Specialized BG Comp shoes with Endura overshoes on. Warm and dry feet every time!

buttercup
    Free Member

POW!
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7is6r6zXFDc[/video]

Northwind

toys19 – Member

I always used to use walking boots/shoes. I find the 5.10’s grip excellently but its mega crap that an mtb shoe has a cardboard inner sole and isnt waterproof. 85 quid for a pair of crap trainers really.

come on 5.10 gore tex shoe please.

FWIW they seem to have finally stopped using the cardboard insoles- at least on the new designs. Haven’t seen an Impact with the new insole as yet but that might just be slow stock clearance.

The goretex ones are on their way but apparently lower priority than the trailbuilding shoe, and the half-a-dozen essentially identical pointless sticky-soled SPD shoes.

mojo5pro
    Free Member

I’m in the same boat as usually wear 5.10 impact mids and been looking for ways to either waterproof them as I thoght any other footwear wood be too much of a compromise on grip.
    Howver, just been out for a ride in a pair of walking boots and they were surprisingly good on flat pedals.
    They are a cheapish pair with a flat sole (rather then convex type) and a shallow grip pattern. As riding in the slop tends to be slower and less “full throttle” over the rough stuff, I didn’t notice any difference between them and the five tens (other than dry feet).
    I’ll be sticking with these for the winter.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Waterproof Flat Shoes’ is closed to new replies.