Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • waterproof camera ?
  • stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Booked to go to Egypt at Christmas with wifey and fancy doing some snorkelling and diving and so looking for a suitable underwater camera that wont break the bank … Recommendations please and why ?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

In traditional STW “I have a [insert product name here] and it’s all of teh orsumz!”,

I have an Olympus TG1 and it’s been superb. From what I gather, the lower end versions of the same are also very good value for money.

grahamt1980

How deep are you planning on going?
    For snorkelling I bought an Olympus tough guy camera, it seems that most cheapish compacts are only ok down to 15m at the most.
    Any more than that and you could be looking at a camera and a dive case.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

@ Graham1980 … it will be only shallow as have only ever done intro dives etc

grahamt1980

My tough guy camera is amazing.
    One thing I did realise though – If you get one with underwater modes, make sure you use the one without the flash near the surface. I didn’t realise until I got home and ended up with a load of pics that had specs in them.
    The flash lit up the bubbles a couple of metres below the surface.
    3 m down and it didn’t seem to do it.

Have a read of the reviews as they all seem to be much of a muchness in honesty

Jason
    Free Member

I bought a Fuji XP200 before going to Eygpt this summer. I only used it snorkelling, but probably took it to 10m or so. Overall I was very happy with it, picture quality underwater was good, and I did get some great pictures. I took a DSLR on holiday too, but in the end mainly used the Fuji above water too as the picture quality was really good and it easier to carry about. They seemed to be a popular choice as I saw a few people with them.

Had a trip on a boat in the summer in Fuerturventura and the owner did a lot of filming, images / video, with his new Olympus Stylus Tough TG-850,the results were very very good for what was a £200 camera.

poonprice
    Free Member

I have the Nikon aw120 its a great camera. With some nice features such as GPS and WiFi. WiFi allows you to upload them directly or transfer to your iPhone on the go. No waiting to get back to your laptop.

Used it in the sea, pool and snow

Olympus TG2 – brilliant bit of kit…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/fMK4Cv]Mask[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/fN2RJQ]Amelia underwater[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/fdZEoF]Fishy[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I’ve got an Olympus TG610 that I hate and an Olympus Tg3.

Ok the TG3 was quite a bit more expensive that the 610 but it’s a much nicer camera to use and produces much much nicer photographs

I hate the 610 mainly because of the speed or rather lack of it, especially when turning it on.

stumpy01

Got a Nikon aw100 and bit disappointed with it.
    It’s a lot slower than my similarly priced Nikon compact and the underwater pictures were all quite murky. Hard to know if it was the camera though, as we had daily storms that probably churned the water quite a bit.

turboferret

I have a Panasonic Lumix FT4 which has been great. That is until I dropped it and it got run over by a motorbike…. While it has barely a scratch on it from that, it doesn’t seem to be quite as waterproof as it was prior 🙁

Cheers, Rich

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘waterproof camera ?’ is closed to new replies.