Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Water shortage & veggie gardens
  • Mounty_73

So it looks like a drought all around this summer…

I have been using a 100 litre water butt for a couple of years now, but thinking of expanding due to drought & water conservation.

I am sure I read somewhere that you can connect & create a daisy chain of butts?

Has anyone done this?

Or are people using other methods?

meehaja
    Free Member

yup. There are kits available, r its fairly easy to create your own using bits of hose etc.

allthepies
    Free Member

I’ve got two water butts daisy chained. If you go for it then link them with a hose at the bottom of the butt not at the top! That way the water level is the same in both butts and you can just draw water from one (and potentially put others in awkward access locations).

coffeeking
    Free Member

Yup, just link them, at their bases, no problems.

nickjb
    Free Member

I just used a bit of garden hose. Drill a hole that is a tight fit in the side about 50mm from the top in both butts and push a short length of hose in. Keep it as straight as possible to avoid trapped air. Once one is full it overflows into the next. You could use bigger pipe and fancy fittings but this works OK.

DrP

I wish I’d linked 5-6 225L butts together down the side of my house – it’s redundant space, and has 50% of the roof draining there…..
    Oh well…

DrP

(exciting insight into my hopes and dreams and fantasies there folks….)

coffeeking
    Free Member

I just used a bit of garden hose. Drill a hole that is a tight fit in the side about 50mm from the top in both butts and push a short length of hose in. Keep it as straight as possible to avoid trapped air. Once one is full it overflows into the next. You could use bigger pipe and fancy fittings but this works OK.

If you do that you have to have a seperate tap and take-off system for each butt. If you just get a linking kit you can always attach to one butt and pretend it’s all one.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Water shortage & veggie gardens’ is closed to new replies.