Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Watchfinder idents on ITV4 Tour
  • rascal
    Free Member

Am I missing something?
    The worst bit of advertising ever*
    Soooo badly shot. What’s with the slow-mo – is it some clever time concept that’s not well done?
    At least last year’s Halfrauds ones has a bit of personality and humour.

*someone will no doubt point out that it can’t be that bad if I’m talking about it 😕

maccruiskeen

Am I missing something?

What’s with the slow-mo

It think they we’re missing something – they forgot to book a tracking vehicle. Its difficult to film 10 seconds of ‘cyclist riding racing bike’ from a stationary camera unless the cyclist is riding verrrry slooooow.

alexpalacefan

See how he’s “truing” his wheel without a spoke key?

APF

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Was mentioned on a tour thread earlier.

Consensus was that it was a bike running Claris shifters. Expensive watch, shit shifters.

Metasequoia

Having to watch it 20 times in an afternoon doesn’t help. I’ve taken my watch off and put it in a draw…

Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

what’s with the slow-mo

I assume this is the correct speed for crawling around Hampstead Heath looking for fellow watch enthusiasts

Consensus was that it was a bike running Claris shifters. Expensive watch, shit shifters.

Fur coat, no knickers. 😆

Almost three more weeks of those irritating idents to go.

hammerite
    Free Member

Try Eurosport. You end up seeing Peter Sagan with an extractor fan and an advert for a couple of marathons in Israel. I think the Israel and Azerbaijani tourist boards practically fund Eurosport!

MrSmith
    Free Member

It’s just not had enough money thrown at it, nobody wrote a treatment, no location manager, I doubt they even got a director and just used a DOP.
    It screams ‘in house’ with no creative lead.

People whinge about those useless tosspots who work in the media/film/TV production/photography etc but you (joe public) soon notice the absence of quality. Even the crap is well produced in this country! Well a lot of it is apart from when the client decides there isn’t the budget for the creative but they do have the money for the media spend.

That’s what happens when a visually unaware person in a suit has done his MBA and has a memo from above about cutting costs.
    ‘Cost is only a factor in the absence of value’

I’ll shut up now before I start a client rant. 🙄

wilburt
    Free Member

What seems odd is that its obviousy been (poorly) made on a shoe string but even in todays market TV time does cost and sellimg second hand watches, is there really that much in selling second hand watches to get a return on that much advertising?

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Are they slow moes? Or is our advert hero just cr4p at riding a bike and does so really slowly.

My money is on the 6 form media student not being able to do a panning shot properly and so reducing our heros speed to almost too slow to stay upright.

And anyway

Who’d wear a leather strapped watch while doing physical exercise…. Grrrr

On the plus side, Boulting and Miller seem to have got better ? … though I’ve only seen the highlights

Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

On the plus…. side Boulting and Miller seem to have got better ? … though I’ve only seen the highlights

Can’t complain about Millar and Boulting but those segments where Matt Smith fires lots of inane questions at a professional rider are rather tedious.

BigJohn

I thought the ads were aimed squarely at us. Nice old watches, Audis, I keep waiting for a Gaggia Classic to pop up.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

and put it in a draw

Is it a free draw?

Or could it be a drawer?

maccruiskeen

I thought the ads were aimed squarely at us.

Next year the they’ll be top and tailing each of the ad breaks with bumpers for Picolax and Sucocreme.

I keep waiting for a Gaggia Classic to pop up.

You’ll have a long wait – its Dualit toasters that pop up. Your toast is going to be pretty soggy.

redthunder
    Free Member

I want one of those Lidl shirts 🙂

ProCrivit.

Most of my stuff is Crane.

Sundayjumper

I was wondering why we’d not had a thread about this already. Glad I’m not the only one shouting at the TV every time it comes on.

kelvin

I’ll shut up now before I start a client rant.

We want more!

chakaping
    Free Member

Looks fine to me, viewed at x30 speed on the recorder.

rhinofive

I’ve managed to avoid it so far, but my 6 year old is apoplectic that “he has a road bike with skinny tyres in a field”

john_l
    Free Member

and he hasn’t even shaved his legs!$£@*!

scud
    Free Member

i only get to see the highlights, but i have to record them and not watch them live purely so i can skip the ads.

richmtb

I find the whole thing kind of infuriatingly shit.

It’s just so utterly half arsed.

“We are sponsoring the Tour de France we need an ad”
    “Bloke on a bike wearing a watch?”
    “Done. Pub?”

Like it was made by people who came 11th on the Apprentice

drlex
    Free Member

S’all good, man!

slowoldman

I see I’m not the only one who thought “Vincent Price”.

igm

I have been looking at old Omegas on eBay though…

And Rados

maxlite
    Free Member

Terrible advert….It’s the old ‘I know someone who is good at…..’!

I had years of this!

franksinatra

But the airtime must have cost a fortune, so why on earth not spend a bit more to make the most of it?

MrSmith
    Free Member

But the airtime must have cost a fortune, so why on earth not spend a bit more to make the most of it?

as i said before, somebody in a suit is pleased with themselves because they have saved some money and got a cracking deal from a production company which will please the boss when they look at the balance sheet.

actually a production company would have told them to come back with a sensible budget and given it a miss.

boondock

But here we all are discussing their brand….shit or not it’s raised awareness of the brand which is the whole point of the ads.

SaxonRider

I can’t believe this thread exists! I hadn’t seen it before, but when coverage ended this afternoon, was so bewildered by how shot those ads are that I wrote an original post. But then when I pressed ‘send post’, it timed out, and I lost what I wrote.

But true to STW form, the exact thread I wanted to start had already been started.

Now, as for the ad content, who actually thought that a watch re-seller would hold much cache with the viewers? I mean, even though I don’t drive one, I now associate Skoda with cycling. And those funny Wiggle ads? I’m still singing the jingle a year later. But Watchfinder?

I mean, it’s only one step above this:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8NQZGXEcm0[/video]

Pierre

…and is it my imagination or are all the watches stopped? None of the hands seem to move in the idents. It may be to make the non-slow-motion effect more realistic, but advertising with watches that don’t go is a bit of a poor choice.

Sorry to drag the thread back up. It’s the crap ad that keeps on giving. Like that bloody O2 baby geese one – I won’t get started on that…

binners

I’ve never really understood the logic of spending a hundred squillion pounds on advertising time, then spending £2.37 on producing the actual ad. But it’s amazing how many companies do it. Its the televisual equivalent of getting your nephew to knock you up a press advert in word because he’s good at drawing

And given that they’re reselling crass and vulgar, overpriced ego-boosting trinkets to middle-aged blokes with more money than sense, they’d have been much better off just paying for a banner ad on here 🙂

RoganJosh
    Free Member

And his skewer is on the wrong side.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Try Eurosport. You end up seeing Peter Sagan with an extractor fan and an advert for a couple of marathons in Israel. I think the Israel and Azerbaijani tourist boards practically fund Eurosport!

The Alpecin ad is a new level of cheesyness as well

MrOvershoot

Never mind all that watch guff, I caught this ad on C4 after the F1 Qualifying

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKfjMATNH8Q[/video]

Has any ad sold itself on the quality of a woman’s rear so much!!

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Watchfinder idents on ITV4 Tour’ is closed to new replies.