Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • Was I doing something wrong?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I just cleaned by bike on my fourth floor balcony. There’s a drainage hole and a spout, meaning the water went well clear of other people’s balconies and onto a muddy patch of ground below underneath a tree, where there presumably used to be grass.

It was biodegradeable oil on the chain and biodegradeable cleaner.

I just had several people from flats below shouting up at me in German, presumably annoyed with me for some reason. Not sure why…

5thElefant
    Free Member

I suspect you’ve broken several laws. Seriously.

Stoner
    Free Member

windspray blowing dirty water against their windows?

Spud

If you’re in Germany, then if I recall from friends, things like washing cars, mowning lawns etc aren’t the done thing on weekends. Perhaps you’ve just embarrassed them into having to do theirs now!

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Yes – You didnt manage to get the spray to write “**** off germany” on to their balcony. Rookie error, but not bad for a first attempt. (This is a joke and is meant to be funny – hopefully not offensive to anyone)

rOcKeTdOg

i’d be annoyed too, couldn’t you clean it on ” a muddy patch of ground below underneath a tree” instead of 3 floors up above other peoples homes?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Bit of a daft thing to do really, what if someone was walking below?

As above wind blowing oily water over other peoples property, etc.

It doesn’t really need that much thought to see why it would piss people off.

curtisthecat
    Free Member

Expect a knock on the door from the Gestapo any minute! Run while you can! As above, if in Germany it is frowned upon to do anything on weekends(we used to wind the locals up by playing cricket) 😈

project
    Free Member

Just remind them quite forceably,
    WE WON THE LAST WAR AND THE ONE BEFORE.

allthepies
    Free Member

Cleaning a bike on a 4th floor balcony ? WTF.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Was this the plan you came up with for how to spend your Sunday??

Thank god you forgot to invite me!

donsimon
    Free Member

Remember the German’s might sound quite aggressive against the mild mannered British. It sounds like they were just welcoming you and heaping praise on both your bike and you desire to maintain it in good condition.
    I would keep cleaning it on the balcony and respond to their healthy encouragemnet with a cheery ‘hello’, don’t reply in German as I believe they can get quite upset at poor pronunciation.
    Keep up the good work.

lodious
    Free Member

It’s pretty windy today!

iDave
    Free Member

Utilise a Gallic Shrug, they’ll understand and fully appreciate

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s not windy here, not a breath. The water went well clear of all the other balconies and landed a good 10-12 ft away from the building.

Cleaning a bike on a 4th floor balcony ? WTF

Why wtf? What would you do? The presence of a drain and spout to send it clear of the building seemed to make it an idea place to me.

Bit of a daft thing to do really, what if someone was walking below?

Not checking to see if anyone was below, or letting the water fall onto a walkway would have been daft.

It doesn’t really need that much thought to see why it would piss people off.

Really? I must be stupid as hell then and thoughtless to boot. I did think it through and I thought it would be okay which is why I did it. Honestly it would not bother me at all if water came past my window. Actually I bend over backwards to think of everybody all the time, and be as considerate as I can. I’m sorry that’s not good enough for you. And thanks for upsetting me even more, I appreciate it.

Just to clarify this was my road bike which had some grime and grit on it, not loads of mud from an MTB.

epicyclo

You’re behaving like a barbarian.

Civilised people wash their bike in the bath, not outside.

🙂

5thElefant
    Free Member

In Germany a motorist washes their car over 9 times per year on average. There is a strong relationship between number of car washes and age as well as number of washes and distance traveled.
    In Germany an automatic wash at service stations has been used by over 7 in 10 respondents at least once. It is the one of the few markets where hand car washing isn’t used more than any other type of wash. This of course reflects the facts that drive way car washing is illegal in most parts of Germany.

If it’s illegal to wash a car on your drive then washing a bicycle on a balcony must be very serious indeed…

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm. So one wonders where one can wash one’s bike at all…?

geoffj

Actually I bend over backwards to think of everybody all the time, and be as considerate as I can.

Its a pity your neighbours don’t see it that way.

Luminous
    Free Member

Molgrips.

In Germany, you really must not be doing much on a Sunday, especially things like mowing the lawn, wasing the car, bike, etc.

In some cases the police have had to attend, they take it quite seriously.

I’ve worked in Germany, on and off, for over 10 years. They really are touchy about Sundays.

Leave cleaning the bike for another day, is my suggestion.

When in Rome and all that 😉

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

What is this bike cleaning you speak of.?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Not checking to see if anyone was below, or letting the water fall onto a walkway would have been daft.

So the whole time you were washing your bike you were checking to see if anyone was below? Surely it would have been much easier to just do it outside.

I’m sorry that’s not good enough for you. And thanks for upsetting me even more, I appreciate it

Your post asked ‘was I doing something wrong’, you’re given a possible explanation and you take the hump. Did you want everyone to say what a nice chap you are and those neighbours were being very nasty to you? Dry your eyes mate.

molgrips
    Free Member

Your post asked ‘was I doing something wrong’, you’re given a possible explanation and you take the hump

I got the hump at you insinuating that I’m thoughtless and/or stupid. There’s discussing something reasonably, and there’s being insulting. If you could sort out the difference then we might all be happier.

So the whole time you were washing your bike you were checking to see if anyone was below?

A couple of times I did. I didn’t think anyone would be very likely to be walking 10 yards over the mud to stand at the foot of a building under a stream of water.

markenduro
    Free Member

How the **** did they ever get control over most of Europe if they can’t do anything on Sundays?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Bit of a daft thing to do really, what if someone was walking below? As above wind blowing oily water over other peoples property, etc.
    It doesn’t really need that much thought to see why it would piss people off

Do I think it was a daft thing to do – yes. Do I think it doesn’t need much thought to see why it would piss people off – yes.

I fail to see why you’re getting so uppity. Apart from the fact than you clearly think you are in the right and some injustice has been done.

We’ll agree to disagree and leave it at that. I have far more important things to worry about that some guy washing his bike in what I consider to be a stupid place.

Carry on.

allthepies
    Free Member

Invading, pillaging and conquering as a full time occupation requires a day off dear chap!

muddydwarf
    Free Member

How the **** did they ever get control over most of Europe if they can’t do anything on Sundays?

Invade on Monday of course – gives you six days to stroll through France!

molgrips
    Free Member

I fail to see why you’re getting so uppity

Uppity? No. Upset? Yes. You think I’m stupid and thoughtless, that’s upsetting.

Do I think it was a daft thing to do – yes.

Why? I want to know why the people downstairs were upset. I started the thread hoping for more than a one-word answer and some insults.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I reckon you were doing wrong. Was there nowhere on a ground level you could have done it?

EDIT:

I started the thread hoping for more than a one-word answer and some insults.

LOLz. Seriously mol, what did you expect?

donsimon
    Free Member

I’d be more than a bit hacked off the someone from the flat above decided to wash their bike and let the dirty water fall onto my balcony or dirty my window. If the balcony is the only outside space I have I’ll try to maintain it. Equally I’d be affronted if you decide to hang your washing out and obscure the light entering my home.
    Living in flats is a little different from living in houses.

aracer
    Free Member

I started the thread hoping for more than a one-word answer and some insults

fool

nickc

Sunday in Germany. Innit. Can’t do owt.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d be more than a bit hacked off the someone from the flat above decided to wash their bike and let the dirty water fall onto my balcony or dirty my window

Yeah me too. But it didn’t. It fell well away from the building and there’s no wind.

donsimon
    Free Member

You’re 100% sure on that.

Kevevs
    Free Member

ask them

molgrips
    Free Member

Yep. I watched it go. And like I say there’s no wind today, no gusts nothing. The ground floor flat isn’t even on ground level so no mud splatter.

rOcKeTdOg

you couldn’t have cleaned it properly if you were constantly monitoring that there was no one walking underneath or leaning out of their own window wondering where all the water was coming from on a dry day, amazing powers if you were

and to get upset because people say you are wrong goes a long way to explaining why you’d do something so insensitive to others in the first place I guess

derp
    Free Member

After reading this thread I feel like shouting at the OP in German.

donsimon
    Free Member

Clearly you only want to hear folks who will agree with you, so here’s some advice.
    You’re in a different country with a different way of doing things, you’re going to suffer a huge amount if you think that you can teach the whole German population to learn to live to your rules, norms and ideas. If you think you can do it, good luck. Just as a test, drive on the left tomorrow and tell them they’re all wrong. 😆

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Rocketdog + 1

Yeah me too. But it didn’t. It fell well away from the building and there’s no wind.

But that’s not the point (and there’s no way to be sure of that anyway) If you can’t see why washing a bike on a balcony is not either good manners or considerate, then you really do need to have a word with yourself. If you did it above me, I’d be shouting too, it’s taking the piss big time IMO.

That said, this ‘not doing anything on Sunday in Germany’ would be a red rag to a bull to me…. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Was I doing something wrong?’ is closed to new replies.