Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • !! !! WARNING !! !! TRAPS AROUND HOPE VALLEY
  • chrisfixed
    Free Member

For all those riding near and around the beast any time soon. I passed through this morning and was all clear. But returning through the same area about 5 hours later, found that some GRADE A F##K WIT!! had pulled logs and branches across bridleways everywhere, built dry stone walls IN the exits of corners! and worst of all, A F##KING WIRE STRUNG AT HEAD HIGHT BETWEEN AN OPEN GATE !!!! I took that one down, but can’t say if there’s any more in the area, Watch out!

kimbers

twang
    Free Member

Really? Did you report it? Any pics?

Pook

which gate?

eskay

Call the fuzz

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Oh joy.
    Report to PPA Access Officer and the Plod

thepodge
    Free Member

I’ve posted this on the Edale mountain rescue facebook page

geetee1972
    Free Member

I’ve said it before. I would love to catch someone in the act of doing this.

Bunnyhop

Shocking.
    I’ll tell nbt (Peak imba rep.)when he gets back from night ride.

monsteryeti
    Free Member

………..do you mean IF he gets back from night ride!! Really really worrying. We had something similar in Cranham (do a search) last year. Touch wood everyone escapes like you.

lardhelliwell
    Free Member

W*****s,i am up that way tomorrow.I’ll keep my eyes peeled.
    Best put some sidecutters in my camelbak :0(.
    I’ve been at the recieving end before on my mx bike,its not good.

brakes
    Free Member

where is the Beast?
    my Dad is a volunteer ranger round the Peak and might be interested in this.
    grid reference would be good.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Steve peat posted it on his facebook page, thats got to be some decent publicity right there

lardhelliwell
    Free Member

From Hope,straight on at Hope Cross,then turn R at next cross roads.
    About 1/2 a mile down the hill towards the bottom fire road at the source of Ladybower.

brakes
    Free Member

thanks lard

grum
    Free Member

brakes
    Free Member

he’s going to follow it up tomorrow.

treehugger35
    Free Member

This sort of thing infuriates me! We have unts doing the same on our local trails all the time, and our guide in Les Arcs last year sliced his neck on some electric fence while which was tied accross a trail and he now has a massive scar! Isn’t the trail in question an official bike route?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Isn’t this attempted murder?! What else is a wire at neck height meant to achieve?

What happens if these people are caught?

mrelectric

All the contacts & publicity is great but the police have to take it be told. If they don’t take it seriously, it needs to be escalated until it is. You were lucky, but next time?

antigee

was the wire something that came from a nearby fence if not then i’d pint this out to police as if someone took wire with them then it would be a planned act rather than just some one losing their rag

hora
    Free Member

Will said traps make the Beast actually gnarly now? 😀

Houns

Hora, we all know you walk down it as it is 😛

hora
    Free Member

Walk? I SKIP – gnarly fast n fancy

Houns

You say skip, we say mince

hora
    Free Member
    oscillatewildly
    Free Member

jesus thats a bit worrying – why on earth though, isnt the ‘beast’ a bridleway anyways?

munrobiker
    Free Member

Just because it’s a bridleway doesn’t mean that some people aren’t selfish vandals who hate sharing the countryside.

hora
    Free Member

Devils advocate- maybe a walker(s) had a close shave with some mtb’ers or MX riders and decided to ‘get even’?

PiknMix
    Free Member

Even if they were knocked over wire at head height is slightly more than “getting even”

smell_it
    Free Member

Devils advocate- maybe a walker(s) had a close shave with some mtb’ers or MX riders and decided to ‘get even’?

🙄 yeah, a car cut me up on my ride into work, so I’ve cut all the brake lines on all the vehicles in our car park. That’ll learn them. Nothing justifys putting wire across a trail, no matter how hard you try and troll.

hora
    Free Member

Fantastic anecdote. I’m not saying justifiable I’m saying motive.

smell_it
    Free Member

Still trying…..

naffa
    Free Member

Theres no excuse for that kind of action Hora. In my experience it would probably be a rambler though. Some of them get very territorial and aggressive even towards 1.5t of Landrover. 🙂

BadlyWiredDog

This is the unhinged thing isn’t it. Why do people generally do unhinged things? Answer: because they’re basically unhinged. Why did Harold Shipman murder all those old biddies? People spend ages trying to think of a rational explanation, but fundamentally he was crackers. There is no sane reason to murder lots of elderly women.

Whoever did this was most likely quietly nuts in their own way. Or, more charitably, too stupid to comprehend the potential consequences of their actions. Trying to explain their actions in terms of rationality is a waste of time ime.

nickc

Got to agree with the Dog here, seem these around the Chilterns and trying to work out why your form of enjoying the country side so upsets someone else so much that they set traps that include neck high wire is like trying to argue with a daffodil, report to the cops.

RoganJosh
    Free Member

I’ve found a couple of planks if wood burried in mud and soul with 9″ nails sticking upwards between Grizedale and Hawkshead, supposedly to give punctures. Annoying as it is, and my mate ripped open a brand new tyre, it’s also somewhere I run and I shudder at the thought of two 9″ nails through a foot… Verging on permanent injury I’d say.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Someone did this years ago in the Forest Of Dean they made a mantrap dug a hole then covered it up with branches and leaves and mud.Mate came ripping down there and fell in hole split all is chin open loads of stitches.Now the same area is full of cyclist no hassle.So that nutter has disappeared thank goodness.

simonbowns
    Free Member

I’d like to write this up for the Ride Sheffield site

OP – can you email me (address in profile) as I’d like to chat more.

Anyone else witnessed this, again – please get in touch.

Cheers!
    Si

Bunnyhop

Simon could you put up a small notice somewhere in the shop?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘!! !! WARNING !! !! TRAPS AROUND HOPE VALLEY’ is closed to new replies.