Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)
  • Warning to all Red Light Jumpers:
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I jump red lights all the time – I’d never catch my train or get to work on time if I didn’t…

Leave earlier or arrive later and stop being a tw@ then.

D0NK

‘Fraid it is, Radioman. The offence is committed when you fail to stop for the traffic signal

erm how? Once you get off your bike you are a pedestrian so stop at red light become a pedestrian stroll across the junction, get back on bike ride away.

That just a wusses way

very true, I generally prefer to hone my trackstands anyway but AFAIK legal if done correctly. Would be interested to hear “proof” that it is illegal.

donsimon
    Free Member

I have a feeling that RLJing is covered by one of the more ridiculous element of the law, in that it is not illegal to run a red light, and here’s the crazy bit, unless you are seen doing it. 😯 Usually by the police, who’ll nick you. So all those numpties waiting on a red light at 3am with no traffic around can jump them! 😆

OK Nick me!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    geoffj

Once you get off your bike you are a pedestrian so stop at red light become a pedestrian stroll across the junction, get back on bike ride away.

Probably for the same reason you can’t use the I’m taking my bike for a walk defence on a footpath.

Something to do with a bike not being a normal accompaniment or something.

GrahamS

it is not illegal to run a red light, and here’s the crazy bit, unless you are seen doing it.

“This is my lawyer: Mr Heisenberg”

donsimon
    Free Member

😆

MrWoppit
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

I jump red lights all the time – I’d never catch my train or get to work on time if I didn’t…

Given the logistics of the maneuvres, that wouldn’t work, although not being familiar with the details, you wouldn’t know that of course.

Probably best to offer opinion when you’ve all the facts, to avoid seeming completely specious, as in:

“a tw@”

I never put others at risk.

molgrips
    Free Member

ensure that you are not on a singlespeed mounting bicycle

Not an issue 🙂

MrWoppit
    Free Member

“mounting bicycle” – isn’t that an offence in Scotland? 😯

joao3v16
    Free Member

didnt see that running late late for train bit, sorry, cant believe the pompous and righteous ****t didnt let you off once the reason had been explained

Que? Since when does having a primary-school excuse make it ok to do whatever the flip you like?

Ditto. Why do some people think they can just pick and choose when the law applies to them?

Cyclists are always the first to moan and winge about the smallest infringement committed by a motorist, but for some reason are blind to their own illegal behaviour…

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Ditto. Why do some people think they can just pick and choose when the law applies to them?

Because they can get away with it. “Discount for cash, guv”? Etc…

Seriously – if a light is on red, but there is NOBODY waiting to cross, what’s the point?

mk1fan
    Free Member

Mr Woppit – Member
    Seriously? I jump red lights all the time – I’d never catch my train or get to work on time if I didn’t..

Now you’re going to have to explain why leaving earlier wouldn’t allow you to catch the train.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

A plod just pulled me over for ‘not having proper control of my bike’ I was cycling one handed with a parcel in the other hand. I was on a very quiet one way street (no vehicles apart from plod) cycling at low speed. He said I could have been intending on going on a busy main road. When asked they were still no closer to finding my bike that was stolen 6 years ago. Thinking it’s time to give up hope on that.

j_me
    Free Member

CFH – Leave earlier or arrive later and stop being a tw@ then.

Woppit – Given the logistics of the maneuvres, that wouldn’t work, although not being familiar with the details, you wouldn’t know that of course

Can you elaborate on the logistics of the maneuvres(sic)?

donsimon
    Free Member

Seriously – if a light is on red, but there is NOBODY waiting to cross, what’s the point?

If nobody is around, I don’t think it’s illegal… 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Good habits?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Well, the car drivers are usually queued up waiting…

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Actually, now I think about it, so are the cyclists. Erm…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

So all you folk who would hang Woppit for RLJing – when you drive your cars do you always stick to the speed limit? Never park illegally? Do you never do a fiddle on your tax return or get something cheap for cash in hand?

“He who is without sin cast the first stone”

mk1fan
    Free Member

Mr Woppit

That’ll be a no then.

D0NK

Something to do with a bike not being a normal accompaniment or something.

I thought that was a civil thing that only applied to ROWs. Basically it’s a load of old balls to say you were taking the bike for a walk so they closed that loophole excuse for getting caught where you shouldn’t be with your bike. You are allowed to wheel your bike across pavements otherwise how do you get the bike from your house/shed/workplace to the road? Pretty sure this has been tested too, didn’t a driver run over a cyclist pushing their bike across a pedestrian crossing and the driver tried to get off by saying the cyclist should not have been using the crossing anyway?
    a perfectly valid reason for hitting someone with your car I’m sure 😯

joao3v16
    Free Member

Dammit. A voice of reason.

D0NK

dont you try to oppress them with your religeous mumbo jumbo, I doubt woppit would appreciate you using that argument to defend him 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Never park illegally? Do you never do a fiddle on your tax return or get something cheap for cash in hand?

Never do those things.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Have I ever sped? Yes. Have I been caught? Yes. Did I throw a child like tantrum becuase I was caught, quoting spurious, irrelevant circumstances? No. I accepted the punishment.

Have I intentionally set out to break the law (be it the spirit or technical interpretation)? No.

If Mr Woppit can explain why they are forced (other than convenience) to ‘break the law’ to complete their commute then I’d happily read it. I doubt the explanation would be credible though.

mk1fan
    Free Member

didn’t a driver run over a cyclist pushing their bike across a pedestrian crossing and the driver tried to get off by saying the cyclist should not have been using the crossing anyway?
    a perfectly valid reason for hitting someone with your car I’m sure

Probably Mr W when he used to drive to work :mrgreen:

duckman

Light blue torch paper and retreat…

IanMunro
    Free Member

Well that’s told me. I’ll never comment that being a rapist might be worthy of criticism, as having once copied some music onto a C90 cassette it would make me an awful hypocrite.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I think Woppit should “turn the other cheek” Or would “an eye for an eye” be more appropriate?

Molgrips – never speed? never park illegally?

D0NK

Anyone pushing a bicycle is a “foot-passenger” (Crank v Brooks [1980] RTR 441) and is not “riding” it (Selby). In his judgment in the Court of Appeal in Crank v Brooks, Waller LJ said: “In my judgment a person who is walking across a pedestrian crossing pushing a bicycle, having started on the pavement on one side on her feet and not on the bicycle, and going across pushing the bicycle with both feet on the ground so to speak is clearly a ‘foot passenger’. If for example she had been using it as a scooter by having one foot on the pedal and pushing herself along, she would not have been a ‘foot passenger’. But the fact that she had the bicycle in her hand and was walking does not create any difference from a case where she is walking without a bicycle in her hand.”

from here
    So a wishy washy tactic for wusses but seemingy legal – if you do it correctly.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Of course the copper’s discretion can be used depending on circumstances of the offense. But it is illegal for a good reason – yours and everyone else’s safety. It also damages the reputation and respect for cyclists.

Sorry to sound like a nag, but perhaps you could leave home 10 minutes earlier?

molgrips
    Free Member

Did I throw a child like tantrum

Elf wasn’t, was he?

So a wishy washy tactic for wusses but seemingy legal – if you do it correctly.

Is it not recommended in the highway code for turning right if you are not confident pulling into the middle of the road?

(TJ – I NEVER park illegally on purpose. On one occasion I failed to notice a single yellow line under duress, and paid the fine. I never speed intentionally except on motorways where it’s 80mph but only if I am in a major hurry (which is very rare). Almost always 70mph. I am especially careful about 30s and 40s. And I know that my speedo reads 5% over but I deliberately do not drive to that to give myself a margin for error.

Oh actually, tell a lie – on the way back through France with the caravan yesterday I did 90km/h according to the GPS because the lorries were passing me and I ended up being a mobile road block. For the same reason I did 90km/h in Germany too because the 80km/h speed limit is suicide on the autobahn.)

mmb
    Free Member

i’ve run three to four red lights every weekday morning for the last six years as there are at least six sets on my way to work, however i do leave for work at 6.30 am and here in sleepy dorset there are few cars around at that time.
    i never run a red unless i can see all around to be sure there is nothing coming as i wouldn’t want to be responsible for someone else getting hurt. so far so good although i did get a £30 fine for riding on the pavement once.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Available. Train. Times.

Having said that, I’m going to stop at traffic lights this eve and tomorrow and compensate by pedalling harder in between. See how it goes. god loves a sinner come to repentance.

Can’t bring myself to stop at pedestrain lights when there’s no pedestrians, though…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I say unto you, that thus there shall be joy in heaven for one repenting sinner, more than for ninety and nine righteous who have no need of repentance. …

donsimon
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUT6s2fQGIw&feature=fvwrel[/video]

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

There was over 40 traffic lights on my 3.5 mile commute in london. No way i’m stopping at all them, they were put there for the excessive car traffic anyway. Many are empty pedestrian crossings, or T-junctions where you wouldn’t affect the joining traffic since you’re in the cycle or bus lane. They aren’t designed with bicycles in mind. Its not like the ASL is clear for you to stop in either, often i filter through to find it completely blocked. What do you do? wait amongst a load of motorbikes who are itching to try and beat their 0-60 times on their superbikes that are completely unsuited to commuting, i don’t think so.

i don’t go on the pavements though.

hilldodger
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    So all you folk who would hang Woppit for RLJing – when you drive your cars do you always stick to the speed limit? Never park illegally? Do you never do a fiddle on your tax return or get something cheap for cash in hand?

Don’t drive, so No to the first two,
    Never fiddled a tax return or any related paperwork, so No
    Never given or received anything cheap for cash in hand, so another No

where’s that bag of stones then….
    😆

molgrips
    Free Member

There was over 40 traffic lights on my 3.5 mile commute in london.

Well then it’s ideal for interval training 🙂

mk1fan
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    Elf wasn’t, was he?

I never said he was, I described my reaction.

TandemJeremy – Member

I think Woppit should “turn the other cheek”

It’s odd that you take that attitude towards someone who’s explaination for intentional law breaking is it’s convenient for them.

Mr Woppit – Member

Available. Train. Times.

What’s that supposed to mean? You’re the one that said that you can ‘never’ observe / obey the law on your commute. I’ve asked you to explain yourself.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Warning to all Red Light Jumpers:’ is closed to new replies.