Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • VWT25 owners – buying advice needed
  • surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

My GF has been offered first dibs on a 1998 T25 Camper.
    What experiences have owners had and what are the “walkaway” problems we should look out for?

pictonroad

rust.

this will reveal almost all

Don’t get attached. “First Dibs” sounds like you’re already attached.

They’re not rare, they vary massively in condition, quality and price. Go and see a few.

Aim for a 1.6td or an engine conversion, petrol is too thirsty, non turbo is too slow.

pictonroad

1998?

really?

South African import then, different kettle of fish.

Do you mean 1988?

pictonroad

and the most important thing of all:

It. Is. A. T3.

RustyNissanPrairie

Parent in law have that I’ve spannered quite a lot for them. I hate it.

Well built when new but they’re getting on a bit now so rust is the biggest concern, theirs has gone big style in a few places and needs serious metalwork but he keeps painting over the top of it!

Non turbo engine as above is dog slow.

Usual VW tax applies.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Sorry! 1988 – E reg I beleive.

Guy is a friend of a friend and I beleive has had it for most of it life.

WDYM – VW Tax?

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Whatever your budget is for the van, triple it for repair costs within 12 months.

tandemwarriors

Go visit Club80-90where you’ll learn all you need to look out for. We’ve had Vinnie (a B reg 1.9 petrol) for 3 years and love him to bits. Yes dog slow. Yes only 26mpg on petrol. Yes demanding on maintenance. But would we get rid of him? Never!

If you’re mechanically mined they are very simple to work on (edit- that’s the petrol engine, can’t comment on the diesel) and parts easily available. If you aren’t, then you need a garage who understand these vans and deep pockets.

Rob

piemann
    Free Member

We’ve had our 1984 T25 for just over a year now and I have spent more time under it than in it. This is not uncommon for these vans though.

When it’s running, it’s great, when it’s not it can be a money pit.

Are you mechanically minded? Are you willing to fix things yourself? If so, great; if not, it’s vital to find a mechanic who knows his way around these quirky vehicles.

In 12 months of ownership I have
    replaced:
    the exhaust
    the exhaust mounting studs on the engine block
    the radiator
    the thermostat
    the clutch slave cylinder and clutch pipe
    the old wooden slatted rear seats/bed with a metal framed one properly bolted in.

fixed:
    the carburetor
    the cooling system (twice!)
    some electrical bits and bobs

12 months ago I barely knew what an engine looked like. Armed with not much more than the Haynes manual and advice from the Club 80-90 forum I now feel I could tackle most issues without spending an arm and a leg on garage fees.

Do you know which engine it has? This is a major factor in terms of reliability and fuel economy. We’ve got a watercooled 1.9 petrol and they have several known issues. I’ve no experience personally, but I would look at diesel engine vans as they seem to be more reliable.

All that being said, we’ve just got back from camping at a family festival. The van behaved perfectly and it was a joy to drive.

As mentioned above, when it’s running, it really is fantastic!

Iain

(if you’re not 100% set on a VW van, consider looking at the Mazda Bongos. Every owner I’ve met swears by them – faster and more reliable than a T25)

flowerpower
    Free Member

I believe your GF lives in the big smoke of Edinburgh…

Does she have somewhere reasonably safe to park it? I have two separate friends who have had their old camper vans stolen in Edinburgh the last 6 months 🙁 The T25 was a write off by the time they got it back (both were parked on the street and not moved unless taken away at weekends).

Not sure why they seem so ‘nickable’ a guess a combination of poor / old locks, lots of cupboards potentially full of shiny stuff and if they are not used / moved daily plenty of time to be scoped out.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Great way to holiday…1.6 Diesel gets 35mpg on a run

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘VWT25 owners – buying advice needed’ is closed to new replies.