Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Visiting Peebles & Glentress 10-12 July 2009
  • Hadge04
    Free Member

After riding Glentress on Saturday(11/7/09)I'd like to visit some places to enjoy the hospitality of Peebles. Anyone got any ideas? First visit so I'd like some fun memories to take to work on Monday!

andy@innerhaven
    Free Member

Forsyth's the butchers, and their bakers next door – yet to taste anything I didn't enjoy 🙂

Val's Sunflower restaurant in Peebles is great as is Osso for lunches and dinners.

Innerleithen's world famous Caldwell's for the best home made ice cream in the Borders, and if you come to Innerleithen try John Adam's bakers too…are you detecting a pattern forming here?!

druidh
    Free Member

Traquair House for the beer…

ivnickkate
    Free Member

If you are riding by yourself, I might be able to come with you. I stay in Peebles. Where are you staying?

Further to Andy's post, if it's a nice day buy a fish supper and eat it at Tweed Green.

Hadge04
    Free Member

Thanks for the info…

Butchers, bakers…. and…. what about in the evening?

ivnickkate – come and join me – I'm on my own – don't expect me on the black! Staying at the De Vere hotel in Peebles.

Traquair House – the place with the maze?

Hadge04
    Free Member

Thanks for the info so far…. 😀

anymore details on the nightlife in the area?

And do I have to buy industrial strength midge repellent for the weekend's riding? 🙁

And.. anyone else going to join me and show me how Glentress should be ridden?

ivnickkate
    Free Member

I think the De Vere hotel you mention is the Black Barony, which is in Eddleston' [about 4 miles from Peebles ].

Nightlife, The County and the Bridge Inn { the Trust], are 2 good pubs in the area.

Probably best to avoid the Crown and the Central, unless you are a local.

There are about another half dozen pubs/hotels each with their pros and cons.

The midgies were bad on Monday night, but only as it was raining, and we had stopped at a stream. Keep going and they aren't a problem. Avon skin so soft, to drown them.

Hadge04
    Free Member

ivnickkate- Barony is were I'm headed.

Will be bringing the Avon skin so soft as suggested. 😀

Thanks for the heads up re the nightlife. Maybe meet on Saturday am – Buzzards Nest car park or give me a shout Friday pm.

uplink
    Free Member

Probably best to avoid the Crown and the Central, unless you are a local.

TBH – I've stayed in Peebles a few times & usually have a few in the Crown
    It's always a bit busy but fine otherwise – I once stayed in the place too, not bad rooms
    Not tried the Central but the County & Bridge [as mentioned] are OK

Hadge04
    Free Member

Was wondering what the locals would do if I turned up? Been suggested that as long as I have a couple pints of heavy and a dram I'll be OK. Can I disguise sprizter as a pint of heavy and get away with it? 😆

ivnickkate
    Free Member

If you want to meet up, I live in the lodge house in the cemetery in Peebles [honestly], I should be there for most of the weekend. Campbell.

Hadge04
    Free Member

ivnickkate – couldn't get your last message as I was already in Peebles. Had a great ride round Glentress – fabulous weather and no midges. But thanks for all the info. Back in December so maybe meet up then? Unless I can get up there sooner…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Visiting Peebles & Glentress 10-12 July 2009’ is closed to new replies.