Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Vintage champagne – how long can you keep it?
  • munkster
    Free Member

At the risk of sounding like a complete dunderhead I was wondering how long I can keep my bottle of 2002 Veuve Cliquot (wot I got given last year as a leaving gift) without it coming to any harm?

Could just drink it to alleviate this obviously traumatic situation but would rather wait for a more celebratory moment if poss!

🙂

MrSmith
    Free Member

unless you have ideal cellar storage conditions then drink it now.
    i know somebody who thought it was a good idea to store vintage port in the loft with it’s temperature range of a few degrees above freezing in the winter and boiling in the summer, it was rendered undrinkable.

munkster
    Free Member

Oh damn, what a terrible shame. It appears I may be *forced* to drink it next week then to celebrate the birth of the baby jesus.

Cheers Mr Smith.

donsimon
    Free Member

dunderhead

Now there’s a word I shall try slip into conversations next week, such a lovely word.
    Thanks.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Dunderhead is better pronounced dunderheid north of the border. In your best Taggart weegie accent.

donsimon
    Free Member

If you’re going that way mcmoonter, can you say “murder” for me in the style of Taggart, cheers.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Don Simon, here’s a masterclass.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpxKIo2P2wM[/video]

donsimon
    Free Member

Thanks.

konabunny
    Free Member

Don’t forget to store it horizontally (so the frigging cork doesn’t dry out and it goes flat, leaving everyone to wonder whether it’s an omen when you open it to celebrate a new venture).

edhornby

just been doing some googling and 2002 appears to be a good year for champagne, so I would say if you want to keep it, you may improve it a bit – if you do then somewhere consistently cool and dark and bottle on it’s side as konabunny said

however if you drink it now it will still be good

munkster
    Free Member

if you do then somewhere consistently cool and dark and bottle on it’s side as konabunny said

It’s been lying down on the top shelf of the kitchen cabinet so probably about as consistently cool and dark as anywhere in the house!

May well quaff next week and report back 😉

bobbyg81
    Free Member

Stored in the proper conditions it’ll keep for 15-20 years. How much it will improve is always a guess though. From the sounds of things you can keep it where it is fine enough. I’m sure you’ll have a reason to spark it up before then!

jonners
    Free Member

bottom of the fridge, horizontally to keep the cork wet, then as long as you like pretty much

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Vintage champagne – how long can you keep it?’ is closed to new replies.