Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Very, very excited! (Cargo bike content)
  • miketually
    Free Member

At long, long last we received our consignment of Yubas yesterday afternoon! Yours is 3/4 assembled, packaged and waiting to be collected by TNT today. It’s on a 24 hour delivery meaning you should have it tomorrow and be riding it around town proudly on Saturday!

I have to say the Carrot colour is dazzlingly beautiful. Yuba have also really refined the bike this time around – much more than I was anticipating – the shape of the tubes is just superb.

I am officially very, very excited!

thomthumb
    Free Member

we need photos!

Stoner
    Free Member

fantastic.

Ive had to rethink my xtracycle build – Ive worked out that a coaster braked gear hub and a sprung tensioner dont work well together 🙂

so its bog standard 1×9 deraillieur and a long disk brake hose instead.

just waiting to get paid then Im off shopping.

miketually
    Free Member

Don’t worry, there will be photos 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

Good work, Mike.

Am green with jealousy.

Now then, what to buy on the BTW scheme – CX or cargo? Decisions, decisions….

miketually
    Free Member

No TNT van yet…

Photos, thoughts, etc. will be going to http://miketually.posterous.com/, which will also auto-update my Twitter and flickr accounts.

Practical Cycles has photos of the 2009 Mundos on his Flickr.

john_l
    Free Member

It’s Friday – the TNT driver will be in the pub by now & if you check the tracking code you’ll find that they tried to deliver but you were out.

miketually
    Free Member

Parcel Stress not helped by john_l… 😉

miketually
    Free Member

Oh ye of little faith – bike just been delivered. Off out to open up and assemble 8)

nickc

That looks like it weighs a bit…

uplink
    Free Member

Mike – I’ve just seen a man in a TNT uniform going into the bookies with a fistful of money

mdb
    Free Member

What a great email from the shop as well. Look forward to seeing the pix

thomthumb
    Free Member

there is a tnt guy trying to sell “a great big heavy orange bike” down my local for £70 – you interested mike? 😉

miketually
    Free Member
    matt_outandabout

but pics, we need pics!

racing_ralph
    Free Member

What is the point of the bike mike?

miketually
    Free Member

Pics tomorrow – my ankle hurts 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

I went to posterous, signed up, wrote some stuff (hey, it’s all Gen X, maaan) and then discovered no pics.

Come on Mike, don’t leave us hanging like this..!

uplink
    Free Member

How may kids can you get on the back of that Mike?

You’ll be peddling home from work one day, stop for traffic & suddenly realise that you have a couple of students hitching a ride – I’ll get my youngster to look out for you 😉

miketually
    Free Member

I’m not sure students can move fast enough to get onto a bike without me noticing 🙂

Harry_the_Spider

pictures pictures pictures

miketually
    Free Member

Will wheel it out for photos tomorrow, as a break from marking.

miketually
    Free Member

What is the point of the bike mike?

I’ll mainly be using mine for commuting to/from work – riding a 60lb bike has got to be good training, right? I’ll soon be getting a mahoosive pannier for it, so will use that for picking up the family shop and will also use the bike for general errand-running.

If I can get my Inbred lashed to it, I might be using it to get to SSUK at Dalby…

miketually
    Free Member
    brakes
    Free Member

looks a bit girly
    need to change the seat, stem and bars I reckon

miketually
    Free Member

Nah, a high stem and swoopy bars are great on a run around.

The saddle is rather large, so will probably be getting replaced with the Brooks that I’ve been using on all my bikes for the last couple of years:

miketually
    Free Member

The saddle’s a bit low in those photos, after I dropped it for my wife to have a turn (it’s a one-size-fits-all frame); the bike looks a bit less girly with the saddle up higher.

oldgit
    Free Member

Premature Poster.

AdamM
    Free Member

Mike, that is a LOVELY colour, I like it a lot. Lose that saddle, it looks cheap and really uncomfortable! Stem and bars look perfectly suited for the type of bike and style of riding. Centre stand looks good too, what sort is it?

Hmmm, I had been thinking Xtracycle, but this might change my mind. What are you going to do about on-bike luggage and carrying stuff? That’s is where the Xtracycle and accessories still seems to have an advantage.

Oh, and any chance of a close up photo of the non-drive side rear dropout area? If I had a Mundo I’d (eventually) want to fit a rear disc brake (once the rear wheel was worn out) so it’d be nice to see what that part of the frame looks like.

miketually
    Free Member

I’ve a Yuba Go Getter bag on order (http://yubaride.com/webstore/product.php?id_product=12) – 85 litres should swallow plenty of shopping! I also got a couple of cam straps, so can strap boxes to the rack too.

For general day-to-day carrying, I’ve got a front frame-fit rack ordered, which I’ll probably stick a basket of some sort onto into which I can chuck my work bag and other small stuff. I’ve seen photos of bag-for-life type bags fastened onto the back with karabiners too.

The bipod stand is, I think, a Hebie (from practicalcycles.com). Really stable and much better than the generic one on my wife’s bike. I also got a steering stabiliser, but haven’t fitted it yet – it’s a spring that connects the fork to the downtube and stops the handlebars flopping about while the front wheel’s in the air when using the stand.

I’ll try to remember to get a photo of the rear dropout. I’d think it would be tight getting a disk caliper in there though, plus you’ve then got to get a hydro cable long enough to get back to it! A new fork would make a front disk possible, which is probably enough.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

You should be able to join hoses using a compression coupling of some kind, you’d need to find the diameter of the hose.

brakes
    Free Member

I had my commuter nicked a couple of weeks ago
    if the insurance pays out, I must admit to being a little bit tempted by one of these…

uplink
    Free Member

I’m expecting to see something similar to this riding around town before long 😉

Ed-O
    Free Member

Here’s some pics of the Kona Ute from our day out today….

http://greatrock.posterous.com/day-out-on-the-kona-ute

AdamM
    Free Member

Mike, thanks for the update, much appreciated.

miketually
    Free Member

Ride it to work today. Lovely, laid back ride, though I did discover that the ‘bash guard’ doesn’t work to stop your trousers getting eaten 🙁

ourmaninthenorth

Good stuff Mike.

Like AdamM, I was seriously thinking Xtracycle before, but now I’m much more taken with the idea of the Mundo – even more so after seeing yours.

Shame about the scrape but, judging by the pics of Ed’s Ute, I suspect it will be one of many before long.

I’ve seen pics of the big cargo bag – looks like a giant messenger bag. I reckon you’ll get plenty of shopping and stuff in there. That said, I do like the idea of the Xtracycle Freeloaders. Might be worth seeing if you can have someone make something up out of the right thickness of rip-stop nylon.

In fact, i think that’s one of the great things about cargo bikes – they give a great big platform to carry stuff. It’s then up to each user to work out (and make if necessary) what they need to cary the stuff they want.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Waahey!!!!

Nice job Mike!

Loaded shots soon I hope…

🙂

ourmaninthenorth

Mike – nice to see that your bike photos have found their way onto the Practicalcycles website. Flattering indeed.

A question for you – do you know if the Go Getter bag (have you got yours yet?) will work on the bike without having the side bars fitted?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Very, very excited! (Cargo bike content)’ is closed to new replies.