Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Urgent Wet laptop advice
  • jammiedodger
    Free Member

Boyfriend got burgled yesterday. My laptop was amongst the loot. We got home in the dark, and in the light of day have discovered the laptop in the garden. Its soaked! Anyone got any advice on drying? Will it be ok? Would love just to get the photos of this year TDF off it which I may not have backed up yet if possible!

uplink
    Free Member

Take the battery out & put it somewhere warm for a few days

Don't be tempted to try to switch it on for at least 72 hours

takisawa2

Stick it in the airing cupboard for a few days, with as many of the removable bits as possible removed (battery, HDD, various flaps covers etc).
    HDD should be ok, if the laptop's fecked you can at least get one of them HDD caddies & use it as a USB drive.

jammiedodger
    Free Member

Sorry this is on the wrong forum, posting from my phone, due the laptop loss and have cocked up, can i move it over somehow?

nickjb
    Free Member

Take out the battery and leave it somewhere warm an dry (above a radiator, airing cupboard, etc) for a few days. Don't turn it on until it is fully dry. good luck!

bigrich

bury it in a sack of rice.

jammiedodger
    Free Member

thanks guys, have hung it out to dry!

theotherjonv

second the rice advice – although you might want to wrap it in a single sheet of newspaper first. Then bury it in a bag with rice in the airing cupboard (don't want rice in your slots after you've taken the drives, etc. out)

The rice is a good dessicant and will absorb water condensation that the airing cupboard will drive off.

Never tried it personally but heard it often enough and worked for a mates phone.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Urgent Wet laptop advice’ is closed to new replies.