Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • University bike clubs
  • sax_widby
    Free Member

hi,

i'm about to come to the end of my masters at sheffield, and i'm thinking about doing a phd. I'm thinking about manchester, imperial, birmingham and leeds at the minute.

I've ridden with a few people from manc (incl. snowdon death ride!!) and met a few at BUCS (UKBP). Can anyone give me a quick low down about any uni clubs they've got experience with? I ride xc and dh atm

cheers,
    r

Jimbo
    Free Member

Ever heard the grief Leed get at BUSA/BUCS 😉

Daffy

Leeds uni has a fairly decent setup at the mo with rides every Wednesday and Sunday.

Mostly XC starting from Headingley on a Wednesday with further afield on a Sunday.

Plenty of clubs around the Leeds way though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    zaskar
    Free Member

Or get a few people to join and apply for funding from BUSA.

Check deadlines as there are some stupid rules to apply for certain dates.

Smee
    Free Member

Theres only going to be one winner in that debate and you've missed them out. Edinburgh Uni has just about the best uni cycling club anywhere….

Plus you dont really want to be called special do you? 😉

sax_widby
    Free Member

edinburgh??? nah, its more civil this side of the border! duno about the grief leeds receive, cos we're aiming everything we have at sheff hallam.

what regular trips does your uni club do? be honest…

Smee
    Free Member

It's more shit your side of the border…

Smee
    Free Member

I'm not at Ed Uni, but do know that they have regular rides on wednesdays and one at the weekend with loads more going on alongside that. Plus, go look at a map and then tell me that anywhere in england or wales has better riding all round it.

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

Ah, happy memories of being at BUSA and hearing the classic line from the "commentator". That'll teach some of them to be so quick, at least back in my day.

Had a mate at leeds though and he really enjoyed the club. In particular, the annual "chunder-cross" was a highlight apparently.

jon

IainGillam
    Free Member

Imperial bike club is quite small but has quite a few rides going on just today we did a ride at swinley forrest and tomorrow there is a road ride to windsor, we had a weekend trip to Afan the weekend before last as well. There is a club road ride around richmond park every wednesdays as well. It's would cater well for you if you are into xc and road but not so much for downhill. There is usually a road and/or mtb ride each weekend and a few weekend trips a term.

PJ266
    Free Member

Be rude not to rep Aberystwyth really 😉 We've got a pretty good scene, we have a time trial every other wednesday at Nant yr Arian, normally ride both days at weekends. We had an informal DH race today at a local spot which was wicked. Its more a group of friends than other university clubs.

sax_widby
    Free Member

goan- i'm only teasing. I do material science, so i'd be looking into something similar to that (hence edinburgh not considered, although i've met a couple of guys at bucs from edinb. and they were spot on).

so imperial is a small set up? darn.. i'll check that out though. Leeds sounds good, but, why do you get so much abuse???

chundercross? is this cyclocross with lots of booze?

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Heres some pics from Imperial

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=2218975650

Like Iain its a pretty small club, but what do you expect Imperials in the middle of London. On the plus side Im pretty sure its the only London Uni with a cycle club (which is mainly MTBing).

Jimbo
    Free Member

Be rude not to rep Aberystwyth really We've got a pretty good scene, we have a time trial every other wednesday at Nant yr Arian, normally ride both days at weekends. We had an informal DH race today at a local spot which was wicked. Its more a group of friends than other university clubs.

You forgot to mention the mid-week evening/night rides with the locals, the three DH tracks nearby, NyA being 40 minutes pedal/10 minutes drive away, Mach/ClimachX being 30 minutes drive away, the natural stuff and the dirt jumps.

Aber rocks. WHY did I have to go back to Essex 🙁

PJ266
    Free Member

Well I didnt want to boast Jim 😉 Ive had a stupendous amount of work lately so havent got out on the bike as much as I should 🙁 bad times.

sax_widby
    Free Member

imperial looks pretty good. i like!

aber has semiconductor research, which is promising. I agree, aber is better than essex, …and i've never been to aber!

lethal_frizzle
    Free Member

if you are interested in aber, and you happen to be in the area, give me an email on crf7ATaber.ac.uk and some of us in the uni club can show you some bits and bobs! (i'm chris, the club boss btw)

we're quite a friendly informal bunch really, just like getting out riding as much as possible. which is quite a bit.

MKII
    Free Member

I was at Manchester about 7 years ago and still ride with 'em about once a year. It was ace. Riding Marple regularly with weekly trips away as possible. Also got out on the road bike up brickworks now and then. Boozing at Sandbar and plenty of weekenders make for a good time.

The current club captain is working hard to get some varied riding sorted, and with a van & Minibus, there are regular rides in the lakes, Yorks Dales, N Wales etc… This week they've ventured down to Devon for a a change of scenery.

Did my masters at Leeds afterwards – what a contrast. There were a couple of proper fast individuals (who have since gone on notch up some decent result on the domestic racing scene)and the rest aspired to it. Despite Chundercross, beer drinking was almost non existant, and most of the riding was training focused rather than getting about and riding new/different trails. This was 5 or so years ago so it may have changed, but this was my experience. There are good trails to be had in Leeds though.

dav1d
    Free Member

As Iain and scu98rkr said, the club at Imperial is very active these days, we're doing mtb rides every week and a couple of weekend trips each term. Being in London we do quite a bit of roadie stuff as well, but the club is pretty much a 50/50 split of mtb/road riders nowadays. If you want to take up xc racing we also enter all the Gorricks and Mountain Mayhem as well.

If you want any more info check out the website that I'm trying to keep up-to-date (http://www.union.ic.ac.uk/acc/cycling/) or send me an email (I'm the club president) – dt07@ic.ac.uk

Dave

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘University bike clubs’ is closed to new replies.