Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Tyres for Coed y Brenin in 4 weeks
  • jkomo

Hi, we’re off to do the beast next month, I have a choice of worn high rollers or new Nevegal (stickE/dual)
    But they are all 2.1.
    Are these too narrow?
    Should I just buy new ones (2.25?)
    If I am on a budget, does it matter if the are wire bead or not?
    Thanks
    (last visit, hired a fuel 8, got 2 pinch flats)

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Take whatever you have got on at the time. My mate rides CYB with the same old Tioga’s year in year out and never has a problem but then again he is a damn good rider.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I predict a riot total death.
    That 0.15″ is the difference between success and burning in hell y’know.
    If you’re too poor to afford kevlar beaded tyres….well,I’m not sure if I can even be bothered talking to y……..

ste_t
    Free Member

The beast is a long ride. I wouldn’t fancy doing it with dual ply sticke nevegals, must weigh a ton and be draggy as hell – far too much climbing for that. Maybe nev upfront and the hr rear would be a fair compromise

timmys

Christ, am I the only one who puts a pair of tyres on a bike and forgets about them till they wear out? 🙂

(and I do mean forget about them; proper tubeless so they inflate and seat with a normal hand pump, never puncture and non-latex based sealant so I don’t ever have to worry about it drying up or turning into solid useless balls).

I_Ache
    Free Member

High Roller front and Larson rear both 2.35 both maxxpro worked well for me in the summer and I will be using them when i go down there next month too.

Northwind

I have no idea what tyres I had fitted for CYB but they worked well. It’s not a place that’s really demanding on tyres, you want a bit of grip but that’s all really.

mrbump
    Free Member

i ride coed y brenin a lot. 2.25 or above work best because there are lots of rocks and square edges. nevegals are not have sidewalls like paper and i have torn a couple of them at coedy. i use 2.35 high rollers 60a rear supertacky front, perfect and you don’t notice the drag of the supertacky because its on the front but you do notice the extra grip.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

I tore a Larsen at coedy.
    My new fave trailcentre combo is a 2.35 dhf 40a and a crossmark 2.25 at the back. Oh and crossmark are <£20 at next day tires… ATM

Bregante

Christ, am I the only one who puts a pair of tyres on a bike and forgets about them till they wear out?

No. Same tyres all year round here. Spesh Eskar controls at the minute cos they were cheap.

Stumpjumper
    Free Member

I went with a set of Conti Mtn King Supersonics (this time last year) pi55ed it down all weekend. Something with a large carcass is the way to go, rocks galore…
    We did the TARW trail, as we had heard it had been regraded to black. DO NOT bother.. lots and lots of climbing for minimal singletrack! (downhill fireroads and uphill singletrack!??!)
    Very slippery when wet..

Nevegals for me – (Tomac DTC jobbies next time)

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

This is a Troll surely?

Duffer
    Free Member

High Rollers, front and rear, all year round.

We did the TARW trail, as we had heard it had been regraded to black. DO NOT bother.. lots and lots of climbing for minimal singletrack! (downhill fireroads and uphill singletrack!??!)

Couldn’t agree more with this statement. Honestly, don’t waste your time. Ride the blue, instead.

jkomo

Thanks for that. So, in essence, most decent tyres will do, but 2.1 is too narrow.
    Cheers.

Stuuey

If you are using tubes keep the pressures high enough to avoid pinch flats. Over 30 seemed to be a good bet.

I_Ache
    Free Member

crossmark 2.25 at the back

How big do they come up, about the same size as a 2.35 HR?

lostboysaint
    Free Member

I did the Beast on Panaracer Rampage SC and they were excellent. Good grip on the rocks (even damp) and singletrack.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

What since when is 2.1 too narrow?

gribble
    Free Member

I am going in two weeks.

I muck around with my tyres a lot, (too much), but I am simply taking off a draggy Panaracer Trailraker (2.1) on the front and putting on a bigger volume Panaracer Rampage (supposedly 2.35), as I have one in the shed.

You will be fine on a pair of 2.1 tyres though, I used to use panracer Fire xc 2.1s everywhere, nothing wrong with them.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Supertacky High Rollers, dual ply if you can get them, then you can leave them on and go and ride Snowdon / Cadair Idris and let some air out for the way down (saying as you’ve taken the trouble to go to N Wales).

So what if the fireroad is draggy, it’s good exercise. It’s only a trail centre, you wont die of exposure, exhaustion, get benighted, etc

Who decided to stop censoring the word “tyre” on this forum……

crotchrocket
    Free Member

@i_ache: yup. About 0.1 bigger. But faster rolling, if it matters.
    HTH

I_Ache
    Free Member

I’m thinking on the back instead of a Larson, the crossmark looks like it will roll well, how is its braking/cornering performance compared to a Larson?

jkomo

Ok, are the folding tyres so much better than wire bead?
    Does it warrant doubling the price?
    Or should I just pump up the 2.1’s a bit more to stop pinch flats.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Stop it!

MarkN
    Free Member

Wire bead is fine. If you are a real weight weenie then folder may be worth it.

Northwind

FunkyDunc – Member

What since when is 2.1 too narrow?

Since Maxxis brought out the 2.1 Highroller- too narrow to be seen with the naked eye.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

Tbh the Larson didn’t last long enough to get a good feel for it. It ripped on the 1st descent on the mbr 🙁 it wasn’t even scrubbed in. It did roll well tho.
    No complaints about the crossmark, I’ve been testing it in loamy wet dirt in boltby forest and on hardpack at dalby red and black trails – thumbs up 🙂
    It’s been plenty sure footed enough for me at 35psi on a hardtail and no rim dings or thumps. It doesn’t stick as well as the dhr 40a I had on last yr but I prefer it, sometimes I want to slide the rear and the harder rubber won’t rip on the rock like the dhr did in Italy (silly of me to take it really).

johnnystorm

It is nothing short of a miracle that I managed a number of rides there, at various times of the year, using the same pair of 1.95 Hutchinson Pythons. 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

Tyres for conditions in a month’s time? I recommend one of these:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahd7-fSXBks[/video]

summittoppler
    Free Member

I don’t want to kill this thread but just ride your bike man and enj0y it. Its a man made trial fgs so enjoy and just ride. If it were for the Mclarean team and every hundrendeth of a split second counted then fairenough.
    but jeessusss

crotchrocket
    Free Member

Those of you in the nay saying “fit and forget” brigade – could you help me out with a couple of questions:
    1. How did you come by the tyres that you have now?
    2. Do you genuinely think they are the perfect tyre?
    3. What will you fit when they are worn out? (will they ever wear out?)

Thanks.

Duffer
    Free Member

Those of you in the nay saying “fit and forget” brigade – could you help me out with a couple of questions:
    1. How did you come by the tyres that you have now?
    2. Do you genuinely think they are the perfect tyre?
    3. What will you fit when they are worn out? (will they ever wear out?)

1. They’re well recommended on STW and in the magazines (high rollers)
    2. I’m not good enough of a rider to ascertain what is ‘perfect’. But they work well enough for me no not think they’re holding me back.
    3. I imagine i’ll replace them like-for-like.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

1. So basically you took advice?

Follow up question: when is it ok to ask for advice?
    Full set of rules and guidelines please.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

2. Not calpable of independent thought?

3. Is Technology and your skills not improving then?

jkomo

Just looking for advice from people more experienced than me.
    Don’t want to spend ages repairing pinch flats.
    Don’t want to go round slowly if it’s really wet and muddy with unsuitable tyres.
    Don’t want to spend out on new tyres if mine will be fine.
    The only thing I want is to get the most out of a weekend away with mates.
    However, I think I’ll go with the nevagals.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Tyres for Coed y Brenin in 4 weeks’ is closed to new replies.